Author Topic: Plot and Character Design  (Read 11429 times)

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Re: Plot and Character Design
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 03:58:49 PM
Guys this person is not for real. The second he suggested reading only the first 400 pages of some obscure book I knew he was out to troll everyone. Spacelords has plenty of problems, plot and ESPECIALLY character design are not among them. If we stop talking to him maybe he will go away and he can write another video game treatment.

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:13 PM
#slowclap....You people are wonderful. Its nice when you don't have to step in.

tplarkin7

• View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 01:16:07 AM
To all, the game hasn't performed well (sales wise). If something doesn't change, the game will fail. We have to come to terms with market forces and human nature without fear or personal bias.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 08:06:38 AM
To all, the game hasn't performed well (sales wise). If something doesn't change, the game will fail. We have to come to terms with market forces and human nature without fear or personal bias.

Well picking 2 things that are generally widely considered this game's strong suits (characters, art design, story) and making claims like they are facts is not gonna help things.  You act like "sales" will suddenly skyrocket if Alicia stops cursing and loses her chiseled abs.

And do you have any figures to back this claim up? I have only heard that the playerbase has grown a large amount since the spacelords launch. It has been a while since MSE mentioned population, but I have no reason to believe they would have lied about the growth, and bringing on a well-known actress for a new character seems like a good sign as well.

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 01:41:03 PM
I have to admit that when I first saw the art of the game I fell in love with Alicia. And when I tried it (I was a journalist when I first came to the office!) I knew I would enjoy playing as her <3

Oh, look! A strong woman rescuing another woman ;D

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 05:03:17 PM
Where is this clip from?

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:16 PM
@tplarkin7
Gosh, look there's a strong woman in a video game, astonishingly!

Where is this clip from?

Looks like "In Shock".

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 06:10:29 PM

This isn't a rated T game, man. This is rated M. This game is made to appeal to a more mature audience. And Audience that is mature enough to understand art outside the left and right tropes of characters. And audience who has a taste for nuance in characters. And audience that has a taste for the more gritty things in life. They have a target demographic, it's as simple as that. You may not be that target demographic. There are PLENTY of games that feature the things you may like.

And it's not like the woman in this game are a monolith either. Shae is a very traditionally feminine silky haired polite, well spoken woman. She has a strong personality, sense of duty and justice. Mikah is an older teenager who is a female who isn't a potty mouth and a quirky personality. Ginebra fits the role of the "overdeveloped" woman, the "Kate Upton" body type which is very feminine. One could argue that, hormonaly, she is HYPER feminine (all signs point to a breeder here). There is nothing mannish about Gin's body type. Then there is Valeria, who is more petite in body type and is about as traditionally feminine looking as I can imagine, although synthetic. She is a cyborg. Ayana is pretty female looking, she isn't particularly muscled. Iune is very athletic... i mean, sure hive is a bit ripped and so is Alicia, a tiny bit, but not really if you've ever seen REAL female body builders. I'm not sure what you're asking for.

do you want anime? Is that it? This game isn't Japanese, sorry. The faces tend to be more grounded a bit more in real human proportions. and all the better. The characters actually look different without simple color and hairdo swaps like Anime.

Can you explain more what you are asking for. Give examples of other games so we have a better idea. Because the female cast of this game are pretty diverse. Just because there is a few you don't like isn't grounds for their removal or change.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:14:19 PM by Level9Drow »

ArnoldCat

• View Profile
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 07:10:04 PM
do you want anime? Is that it? This game isn't Japanese, sorry. The faces tend to be more grounded a bit more in real human proportions. and all the better. The characters actually look different without simple color and hairdo swaps like Anime.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:13:40 PM by ArnoldCat »

tplarkin7

• View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 05:08:56 AM
Can you explain more what you are asking for. Give examples of other games so we have a better idea. Because the female cast of this game are pretty diverse. Just because there is a few you don't like isn't grounds for their removal or change.
I'm asking for beauty grounded in truth.
The best examples I can think of are the Mass Effect Trilogy, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, The Last of Us, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3. I did play a ton of Overwatch because the original cast was awesome, but loot boxes and  boring new characters ruined it.

What is my vision of a great game?
After writing my video game script, I started a comic book based on that story in hopes to promote the game. Here's a single panel:

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 08:01:57 AM
Self-plug that does nothing to add to the conversation.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:07:40 AM by PohtHehd »

Urgehal

• View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 11:19:50 AM
Who doesn't love Alicia's abs? Her design is one of the most uniques that I saw in a very long time, badass, sexy, strong, angry, everything... I started in this game just for her XD

*High five

Same here.  ;D

Urgehal

• View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 11:30:57 AM
The best examples I can think of are the Mass Effect Trilogy, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, The Last of Us, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3.

You must be fun at parties.

And you chose the most bland western character designed games (though I do dig Aria from ME) and a JPN game with weird faces. I am absolutely appalled...

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 06:25:52 PM

Forgive me Arnoldo catu san. I didn't not take into consideration your passion.

*kneels and bows* *commits seppuku*

I love anime by the way. but i'm old so I like older Anime. I only said this to the OP to tickle out what he wanted.

I love ya man. Don't kill me.

EDIT: Fairuza Balk though...my all time favorite girl.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:31:50 PM by Level9Drow »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 06:35:31 PM
The best examples I can think of are the Mass Effect Trilogy, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, The Last of Us, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3.

You must be fun at parties.

And you chose the most bland western character designed games (though I do dig Aria from ME) and a JPN game with weird faces. I am absolutely appalled...

there's nothing wrong with those females he's pointing out. They're great characters and look great. they fit the game their in. They probably wouldn't fit this game though. Shae maybe, would fit in those games. She'd be a bit exotic there, but she'd fit.