Author Topic: Plot and Character Design  (Read 11459 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Plot and Character Design
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 07:00:28 PM
Can you explain more what you are asking for. Give examples of other games so we have a better idea. Because the female cast of this game are pretty diverse. Just because there is a few you don't like isn't grounds for their removal or change.
I'm asking for beauty grounded in truth.
The best examples I can think of are the Mass Effect Trilogy, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, The Last of Us, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3. I did play a ton of Overwatch because the original cast was awesome, but loot boxes and  boring new characters ruined it.

What is my vision of a great game?
After writing my video game script, I started a comic book based on that story in hopes to promote the game. Here's a single panel:

All those female characters are great, but they wouldn't fit into this world. This game world is a bit more wild. And those characters would seem boring females in contrast to the Broken Planet world and cast. Not that they aren't great for the context of their world. again, they're fine within their universe.

Spacelords is a mix of Mad Max, Borderlands, Space Pirate-like kind of game. It also has a bit more sense of comedic elements and doesn't take itself serious like those other games you mentioned. Those females from the games you stated are mostly serious and exist in serious games. You say you want more grounded females in a world that is not all that grounded and is a bit off the wall as it is.

There's nothing wrong with anime (sorry Arnold) but this isn't a game where petite big eyed angels survive. It would also ruin the world if cute little anime girls were in it, it's too gritty. Anime and grit never mixed (well old anime did, anime back from MY day.. heh heh). Furiosa from Mad Max would fit right in the Spacelords universe, so would many of the characters in that movie actually. And the opposite could be said.

I think you're expectations are out of context is all, not wrong. You're just expecting a psychological thriller from a romcom, or laser beams and cyborgs from Tolkein book, or expecting to see hipsters at a Cannibal Corpse concert. It's just out of place expectations.

All those games are great games you mentioned, by the way.

Urgehal

• View Profile
Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 01:02:40 AM
You must be fun at parties.

And you chose the most bland western character designed games (though I do dig Aria from ME) and a JPN game with weird faces. I am absolutely appalled...

there's nothing wrong with those females he's pointing out. They're great characters and look great. they fit the game their in. They probably wouldn't fit this game though. Shae maybe, would fit in those games. She'd be a bit exotic there, but she'd fit.

Different strokes for sure, just my opinion.

tplarkin7

• View Profile
Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 06:11:41 AM
Thanks Level9, I get your point about context. Mercury Steam really has done an amazing job at building a consistent world. Everything from the architecture to the character design is believable and cohesive. The game as a whole is very impressive, even when compared to Mass Effect, or Halo. This is why I think they are "so close" to greatness.