Author Topic: 75€/9000Mp for 1 SKIN!  (Read 16493 times)

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Re: 75€/9000Mp for 1 SKIN!
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:57:36 PM
Not being funny here but why even did Ginebra get another skin when Iune and H.I.V.E still only have their original skin? Those are also fairly popular characters and by admission far less work to create an affordable alternate skin. Seems to me, it would have generated money better. Put bluntly, the skin for the amount of work that went into it is not terribly appealing. So, even if I had the money to burn I wouldn't spend it on that content and I 'do' intend to buy another skin or two in the future.

alma41

• View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 10:41:46 PM
Uhg, the justification makes things worse, I feel so embarrassed for some.

Again if something takes say X hours of development to complete it, you don't simply divide by the player base to get your breakeven.  Research a bit what the market will bear.  That or common sense will lead you towards the answer of "maybe this is a bad idea we"

I don't have a stake in this game as I have never purchased a single skin on any game in my life since it never impacts gameplay, (which is a data point you should use for your research) but when something of this magnitude comes along, you hate to think you flushed $60 down the drain as similar practices are evident elsewhere in the business model.

Darn.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 12:53:06 AM
I have never purchased a single skin on any game in my life since it never impacts gameplay

^Thus my point. Some players will never care about cosmetic looks, this is just a numbers game.

I am a player who loves to spend on this kinda stuff though. I'd be ashamed to admit how much total cash I've spent on Warframe over the years just to look pretty, or Soul Calibur 5 character creation. I've definitely bought this kinda thing a lot through my years.... and I have never seen a *single* cosmetic enhancement cost this much, ever.

Monetization in general is not the problem. Earning through in-game achievement is ALWAYS preferred, but your business model obviously relies on microtransactions to some extent. It should just be priced within reality.

I still want to buy a skin for Harec, Alicia, etc. since they have some good prices and look nice. Just waiting to see the verdict on upcoming changes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:55:31 AM by LordDraco3 »

tribas

• View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 06:42:54 AM
I bet every time the person in charge of the forums tries to justify a 75€ skin he/she dies a little inside ...I mean it's his or her job , what do you expect lol.

It's like the higher ups in charge already think the game is doomed so they are putting all their chips on the small minority that has no self control and are spending addicts before the game shuts down.

I actually think the game could get more support if they make the right changes though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:47:59 AM by tribas »

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 06:32:00 AM
I bet every time the person in charge of the forums tries to justify a 75€ skin he/she dies a little inside ...I mean it's his or her job , what do you expect lol.

It's like the higher ups in charge already think the game is doomed so they are putting all their chips on the small minority that has no self control and are spending addicts before the game shuts down.

I actually think the game could get more support if they make the right changes though.

I work as customer service for a real estate website, so I know how it is to deal with angry customers (and people buying houses can be REAL bastards!). I only wish Mercury Steam was as upfront about what's going on with us, the players (or customers depending on the thought process), as I strive to be with anyone I talk to. I am never afraid to blame our website if it has issues and design flaws, like our search function was *awful* for the longest.... but the web developers thought it was fine and kept writing off our internal complaints. Everyone that complained about it, I agreed and sympathized with.
And eventually, it got changed! Now I don't have to apologize for our web search being crappy 10 times a day :P

Pretending a massive problem does not exist does not look good on a service provider. Admitting fault, having empathy and understanding and a willingness to correct a problem, goes a looooooong way. Acting like 80 dollars for a single cosmetic is justifiable is pretending like it's not a problem, and an attempt to invalidate criticism. Like my web devs at work claiming a function is fine, when we get 50 calls a day complaining about said feature.

Someone compared Ginebra skin to Bethesda's Horse Armor DLC, which is a good point. Horse Armor was massively mocked by the video game community at large, and now stands as an infamous meme in regards to overpriced useless DLC... and that was just $2.50! Imagine if Raiders was more mainstream, an $80 skin would become the laughing stock of every single game journalism site on the internet!

It's not as big of an issue as the much-needed economy changes, but they DO keep promising to fix those, which has kept a few of the lingering fanbase from jumping ship already. It's just such a mixed bag as far as some things we get a lot of dev feedback on, and others do not  :-\

The Wanderlust

• XBox - The Wanderlust
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 05:34:40 PM
Someone compared Ginebra skin to Bethesda's Horse Armor DLC, which is a good point.
Ah, yes. Horse armor. I remember those days! lol

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 05:19:08 AM
Wait... is Hive getting Horse Armor? Heck yes, let's see it!

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:40 PM
I haven't been as active with the game the last few months as I have been waiting for the changes MS have been promising. I purchased the founders pack and have generally enjoyed the campaigns so far but like many others I have voiced concerns over some of the ridiculous prices of the skins for the game. Then I saw the Ginebra skin 9000mp, I can only shake my head. To my surprise someone from MS drew the short straw and needed to justify  the price...I am disgusted. The fact that anyone in this community that is passionate about this game defends 80$ is disgusting. 
   To the guy that blew open the 'it is 80$  of work on the skin' explanation. You are right on. Skin doesnt even look that different from her other costumes anyway to be honest.

BrusLi

• View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 10:13:48 PM
Some skins cost less than 5€ (4), most skins cost between 5 and 15€ (10) and some skins cost more than 40€ (3). I will try to explain the reasoning for this with an open heart:

They are optional cosmetic items that don't affect gameplay:
  • It does suck to really love a character and see that your favourite skin is out of your reach.
  • However, out of any other item, skins cause the least pain to players who can't afford them.

They are 3D pieces that cost a lot of work hours to produce:
  • If all skins were priced proportionally to the time they take to produce, they would all be around the 10-15$ range.
  • That would leave a lot of players without the chance to own at least one or two skins for cheap.
    • Mercury points gained with invitations, which don't cost real money, would never add up to any skin.
  • In order to have some skins that sell for much less than that average, we need to price some of them above the average.
    • Players who have the possibility to buy these skins subsidize the other skins that sell below production cost.
  • Ginebra and Loaht's skins take twice as much work because they need two different models.
    • It makes sense that these are the skins chosen to be priced higher than the others.
That argument for time spent is bonkers and here is why:
You can buy Witcher 3 Game of the Year with all DLC and Expansions for less money,and they spent years making those.
I understand that you need to make money and game did not that have a great start,but you should be looking how to attract more players not turn them away.
Make unlockable  things such as cards,weapons etc.  easier to obtain.Also.,find the way to implement cosmetic stuff akin to those in games like..TF2 ,dota 2 ,League of Legends..so called cosmetic hats ..for less money ^_^
I mean,even Riot games invests a lot time in creating those and still prices them not more than 25 euros for Ultimate skins...
Think about it,dont panic..game is good..just think of a way to attract people
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:38:09 PM by BrusLi »

4nalManiac

• View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 11:54:59 PM
Can someone tell me how to insert an image just like the one at the beginning of the post? I click insert image icon but just see the IMG/ then what?

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 01:28:58 AM
Can someone tell me how to insert an image just like the one at the beginning of the post? I click insert image icon but just see the IMG/ then what?

Put a URL inbetween the img /img tags

4nalManiac

• View Profile
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 12:02:08 AM
So I upload my image first, then I link to the URL. Thank you!