Author Topic: New "natural aleph deposit" system.  (Read 17609 times)

ScimitarSlice

• View Profile
New "natural aleph deposit" system.
on: July 31, 2019, 07:12:38 PM
I think everyone would agree that this changes the game a lot. 

The maps were not designed with this mechanic in mind.  They are just going to be jammed in somewhere?  I don't think this could end in a good result.

Whitebleidd

• View Profile
Re: New "natural aleph deposit" system.
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:00:39 PM
1) Indeed maps were not designed with this in mind

2) The new system will further force players to run around like headless chicken looking for aleph, as if looking for aleph dropped after killing an elite wasn’t bad enough…

3) The new system takes away all the fun that was to be had from getting a finisher on an elite

4) I can already see players not doing objectives and/or taking care of mobs and simply hanging around known aleph spawns.

5) The new system even further destroys the flow of combat/gameplay, before when aleph and ammo were obtained from mobs directly everything had a nice rhythm, you obtain resources as you did combat, it was very satisfying.

6) Last but certainly not least, the system is simply boring and mundane, the type of system that is used everywhere…

Are we supposed to cheer and clap when a unique system is dumbed down to this level?

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 10:34:05 PM
Each map was altered to compensate for the new changes to allow things to flow more smoothly. In the mean time just give it a week and just try it out.

ScimitarSlice

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:20:09 PM
Each map was altered to compensate for the new changes to allow things to flow more smoothly. In the mean time just give it a week and just try it out.

So they used up time and resources to modify maps for new aleph (something no one wanted) instead of just making new maps (something everyone wanted)?

MSE_Ojuel

• MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 12:01:48 AM

So they used up time and resources to modify maps for new aleph (something no one wanted) instead of just making new maps (something everyone wanted)?

Truth is we did not alter map meshes, but adapted all missions' logic + placed all aleph deposits by hand + tweaked their spawn values for each one of the missions in the game.

Some of the missions that heavily focused on aleph-charged elite/looters hunting remain the same as they were before.

MSE_Ojuel

• MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 12:09:06 AM
I think everyone would agree that this changes the game a lot. 

The maps were not designed with this mechanic in mind.  They are just going to be jammed in somewhere?  I don't think this could end in a good result.

We took good care when placing the deposits as well as tweaking their spawn values. That said, I'm sure we'll have to re-tweak those after the patch release.

When placing deposits we took different approaches for each one of the maps/missions, so that they stayed faithful to their original concept while adding an extra twist to the whole experience.

In out latest video (https://youtu.be/ikO1dmpEVp8) we showcased White Noise's aleph deposits. In that map all deposits may appear in the highest places of the map, on those tower-like structures.
The original map design had those towers in order to let players avoid miners (when they would spawn mines like crazy), while leaving players exposed to Fifth Council elites/gun shot grunts, that could push the player by shooting at him.
By placing the deposits there we're emphasizing those towers' use even more, since climbing them will now be more useful.

Some other missions have deposits scattered around the less used spaces in the level, some others have all deposits in the same place...etc. That's how tried to spice things up without breaking the missions' original concept. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:12:59 AM by MSE_Ojuel »

RedRocketBear

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:13:48 PM
The game is a glorified easter egg hunt now

Forthias

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 12:17:53 PM
Yeah, me and my friends tried it out after playing non-stop for 2 weeks and won't be playing again until it's revoked or reworked. There's 0 reason to attack elites now, so players just ignore them and anyone not playing a sniper just gets shot to death. It slows the games down and is just some new mechanics to try and tip the scales in antags favor. No thanks. Totally ruins the game.

MeleeMaster

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 06:49:52 PM
I have a problem with it. The aleph drops are nothing but another hindrance on the mission, before, killing elites were not only a way to clear the path but also mission progression, now you have to run around the map being not only target of enemies but also antagonists, which can also get the aleph and use it for their own benefit. Antagonists can also destroy it. The aleph spawns in some missions are not even quick enough for being of tactical use like it was advertised.

So yeah, I think it's pretty bad overall.

ScimitarSlice

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 07:55:27 PM
Antagonists can also destroy it.

wait, so the antag can just shoot the appearing "natural aleph deposits" to explode/destroy it?  I will admit I haven't even tried it, but that sounds it will lead to some game breaking moments.  The antag will no longer even need to kill raiders for some phases of some missions.  He/she will just have to make sure they use a long/mid range gun and camp all the aleph spawnings, once they memorized when and where it will pop up.  All they will have to do is run away and avoid dying to the raiders and occasionally shoot some stationary targets.  Someone who has tried it can please correct me if im wrong.

sonofoz

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 08:11:28 PM
well, i believe there is more than one deposit at the same time on some map (not sure), moreover some are not reachable by far shot.
but, well, more or less, yes, i think it can be way to play antag with the new deposit system.

ScimitarSlice

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 09:03:29 PM
some are not reachable by far shot.

What do you mean.  Harec can reach anywhere instantly; that's the whole point of the character.  The challenge of Harec is hitting a moving target inside the charging damage multiplier window and with bolt-action long reload times.  But the aleph is just a sitting duck.  Stationary easy target.  Bigger than a head, too.  Even loaht's big mutant head ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:06:03 PM by ScimitarSlice »

Dr.Kuzie

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:31:13 PM
Well, the overall experience has decreased a little. Stealing aleph of super soldiers/elite was on point, gave the game a fast pace. This situation creates a new role in the meta: The Aleph Runner, a character focused on getting Aleph and deploying it to the team (Ginebra and Alicia are tops here). Problem is, this slows the gameplay and is less about the CQC and more about cleaning the mobs with a big bad gun (in fact, before you had to choose between killing with guns or fists).

It makes the game less unique. These steps are throwing more dirt in this unpolished gem.

And to think that the game formula of random PvP was the thing that I didn't really like, and now is more about these strange and unappealing mechanics. Damn. Just damn.

MeleeMaster

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 09:44:30 PM
Problem is, this slows the gameplay and is less about the CQC and more about cleaning the mobs with a big bad gun (in fact, before you had to choose between killing with guns or fists).
Pretty much. This is probably the reason why they decreased the amount of ammo you get from normal enemies.

sonofoz

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 10:06:04 PM
some are not reachable by far shot.

What do you mean.  Harec can reach anywhere instantly; that's the whole point of the character.  The challenge of Harec is hitting a moving target inside the charging damage multiplier window and with bolt-action long reload times.  But the aleph is just a sitting duck.  Stationary easy target.  Bigger than a head, too.  Even loaht's big mutant head ;)

i'm not speaking in terms of distance, but position.
take the second mission of umbra wardogs.
(don't know the english name, must be something like "without reserve.")
some deposits are on the path below.
so of course, harec or any other character can shot it. but it will have to be close to it, not at a safe distance. because the position is unreachable by a far away shot.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:07:06 PM by sonofoz »