Author Topic: Lycus is underpowered?  (Read 8333 times)

Alex2199

• View Profile
Lycus is underpowered?
on: July 13, 2019, 12:21:27 AM
I don't exactly consider myself "endgame" but I am pretty well equipped and know most of the tricks and tips on all the raiders. Well almost all...Lycus has always caused problems. Whenever I first played I considered Alicia and Kuzmann as the weakest and most useless raiders in the game but as I grew and maxed out my level I learned it was the way I was playing them and not that they were weak I was just refusing to learn. However, Lycus I have always glossed over. I never really seen as a threat to anything in the game and therefore sorta weak or weaker than the others. I don't know if this is the same case as Alicia and Kuzmann were I am just not playing well with him or if he is just sorta weak. I have tested most of the card combos I can think of and every gun but everything seems weak to me in his kit. Can I get other's opinion to figure out if its me or if others think the same?

RedRocketBear

• View Profile
Re: Lycus is underpowered?
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:40:53 AM
I think PVE wise there is nothing wrong with Lycus. In PVP however he seems a bit lackluster compared to most of the other raiders.

I think his most glaring issue is that there are too many things that can counter him. Hive and Ginebra's weapons completely bypass his ability. So does Ayana's hook and mines, Alicia's smoking daisy. And these are just of the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Another thing that seems odd to me is that Mikah's Barrier gun has a shield that is objectively better than Lycus' ability in most situations. It can block damage from all directions, it can easily shield allies while Mikah can go do something else, it can build a wall of deployable cover, it can contain explosions, it can block the attacks from the floating eyeballs in a breath of hope. And that's not even her main ability. That's JUST her gun. Compare that to Lycus' rare weapon shit happens :(

All in all though i don't think he's majorly underpowered, but he definitely feels like he's falling behind a bit.

Also can he just get a new gun already?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:38:04 PM by RedRocketBear »

SergeyKosinskiy

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:34:58 PM
Hmm is 500 crit dolores really that weak? He is a bit to cqc friendly. But on other hand he really good here at closer range. Coin and dolores both can pretty much one shot wound most/all raiders. Hes long range option being nerfed couple of times now is a bit ehhhh. Idk he could get buff to his shield to drop push effect. But devs think ot would make him to strong. So nuh don't think he weak.

Alex2199

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:24 PM
Hmm is 500 crit dolores really that weak? He is a bit to cqc friendly. But on other hand he really good here at closer range. Coin and dolores both can pretty much one shot wound most/all raiders. Hes long range option being nerfed couple of times now is a bit ehhhh. Idk he could get buff to his shield to drop push effect. But devs think ot would make him to strong. So nuh don't think he weak.

Doloris seems to be too close range in my opinion. I get once its fully built up it can do a lot of damage but its so close I always just use melee because im close enough to do it. Spinning coin is what I use and find it good as an antag but find it lacking in higher mmr missions. Only gun I haven't tested out in full yet is Shit happens and that's just because I have other guns I need built for raiders I actually use like Ayana's short nine

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 11:30:12 AM
I never really considered him under powered tbh, His shield is very use and often a lifesaver (Even Compared to Mikah's Barrier). You know the Wardog Commanders, When they use there Aleph powered Air-Strike you can aim up at the sky while simultaneously fighting the commander to block his ability. Or at the end of a Low Blow where you need to make it to the Teleporter, He is one of the few the can just rush into it without worry (others being Ginebra, Doldren & Hans)

My Only problem with him (Like you guys said) is that most of his weapons often restrict him to getting close before dealing damage. The only exception is his Shit Happens alt Mode but that's soooooo slow and not that strong and his pepper pot is hardly better at mid range.

Pvp gets even trickier, if your going against:
Konstantin: They will almost always have the O.Tolchok and just push him back to hell.

Alicia: If She has the Smoking Daisy, she can shoot through his Shields ...I hate the buff lol.

Shae: Lycus could literally have a full bar of shields and Shae with her Sa-Dhu will TEAR into it and then maybe kill you if not wound you all within the same clip.

Hive, Ayana Kwena. Ginebra & Loaht: All there weapons are his Krpytonite.

Hans: If its a smart Hans player they just need to shoot it his feet for that splash damage while keeping his focus upward on you as you fly above/around him.

Dodlren: FYI you will NEVER see a Doldren use this method but, With his Patient Boy gun he can use its alt fire to drop a Mine at his foot and just ghost out over it to trigger it to blow his ass up(Or wound him) and appear to finish the job.

Iune: Using her weapon The Vortex she can shoot at his feet to stagger him at any range. Close Range she can stagger him to quickly get a guaranteed grapple, at ranged she can place shot after shot on the floor to stagger you into the next stagger shot. 

Schneider: His Yama Boom Boom is much like a grenade, ergo Lycus is screwed.

Anyway, I can keep going but it just goes to show that His base ability doesn't really stand a chance against a majority of the weapons each Raider has to offer.  But weapons aside, Ayana Kwena's base ability is far worse...well defensively speaking that is, but her actual defense is an offense so I guess it balances out for her.

Kefal

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 03:19:40 PM
I find Lycus to be a good Antagonist, I use him frequently with that wonderful card that hides your stress while you are running.

His weapons puts people to wounded in one shot. Some think that why play him, when you have CQC, but CQC is actually his greatest strength. See, you can't counter a shot with a punch, and you have much less time to dodge. And Lycus can counter both punch and grab with a shot. Punch an enemy, they dodge, and then whatever they do you just shoot them. Punch to kill and move to the next prey.

This makes Lycus a rare character who can win CQC with multiple enemies at once.

Lehi

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 07:45:01 PM
I do not think he is underpowered although only viable gun is the pepper pot. He can down a raider from miles away if crit and usually it crit in one or two shots.

Is it just me who can’t penetrate his shield with hive guns?

Alicia is totally biased by the dev. What was the daisy buff against his shield? I consider daisy is very similar to pepper pot, 1 shot down capability, 3 magazine, mid range, similar hit box, but yet pepper pot got nurfed instead of the daisy.

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 03:19:25 AM
Yeah out of the starter 4 Raider oddly enough Lycus is the weakest link.  All there abilities trumps a simple shield that doesn't even work as intended when people can bypass it with Push and Pierce effects.

Cyber_hunter026

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 04:01:24 AM
I thought so at first when i first picked him as a noob. got my butt handed to me rather quickly and so started maining Alicia, then, ginebra, then aneska, and now sooma. never picked him again until recently i wanted to give him another go.  all i can say is,  pepper pot= owning everything. this gun on max is a beast and had me taking out large groups of enemies or picking off two to three at a time. the critical damage is insane and i found myself just in awe. he's a bit slow when punching,  but just roll away when fighting normal grunts and strike a few more times. when you deploy his shield  always keeping running around to keep it fully charged. Overall isn't very agile but it takes the right cards and weapon to utilize his potential.

MX_Just MX

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 06:12:22 AM
I think Melee Lycus is really good when it comes to PVE, As he gets melee damage stack with Spinning coin(Pepper pot is good too but I prefer this) for Hooligan, gets melee bonus with Assault. He can one hit every mobs even in higher difficulty. And mobs attacks don't usually go through Lycus's shield.

For PVP..? I don't exactly know how he does as antag(and I don't play antags) but as a raiders. He's a suprise tool..He gets stack from somewhere and when it comes to melee fight alone or with teammate. He can one hit antag too, If the antag didn't dodge. Or with spinning coin, he can one hit(I mean, the antag literally just die) if you are close. But I don't feel like to play against antags as Lycus.

sonofoz

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 03:46:18 PM
i agree the shield should be immune or at least massively decrease piercing and pushback.