Author Topic: Antags. There must be a happy middle ground  (Read 4288 times)

Whatever

• View Profile
Antags. There must be a happy middle ground
on: March 21, 2019, 05:47:05 AM
Antags aren't going anywhere, for whatever reason, but there must be some way to mitigate the annoyance factor a little with them surely?

I've played 9 games today and there was an antag in 7 of them. I'm not totally against antags but that ratio is just a little bit much and feels a touch like I'm sacrificing my enjoyment of the game for someone elses which isn't very fair.

What about a scale, that we choose ourselves so we get input, as to how often we're happy to have an antag invade the match? Say every match scaling to one in five or one in ten? It also mitigates getting a run of them as I experienced earlier.

Or like MMR scales so does the likelihood of getting an antag? That way those who operate at higher levels and should technically be better equipped to deal with them are more likely to do so. I don't think this is the best solution but at least it would give the new members time to get up to speed.

Or, you only get an antag once you've won XXX games, the same mechanic as the rare guns? Or only when you're in a team as solo queuing and getting an antag is probably the worst.

Or not having an antag whose level is higher than the average level of all players? Or the top two players?

Or just have some reward at the end, say 5000 gold/Faction when you lose to an antag, tied to RNG like the BP's? That way you're not guaranteed to get anything but there's a chance you'll get something making a loss more palatable.

As far as I can tell only the people who antag a lot like antags (understandable) but the feeling of pointlessness you get when your loss as a raider is driven by someone trolling "checking their skill" that's what needs work.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:03:40 AM by Whatever »

Whitebleidd

• View Profile
Re: Antags. There must be a happy middle ground
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:42:57 AM
I feel your pain I’ve had days like that often but funnily enough yesterday I had the complete opposite experience, I had one of those rare session (around 5 hours) in which I only encountered 1 antag, suffice to say it was a blast, a very relaxing, rewarding and fun experience, makes me remember why I stick with the game in spite of the antag system and why it would be a shame to see the game shut down.

Many of your suggestions would alleviate the issue, but imo there can be no middle ground, much less a happy one, or maybe a better way of putting it is there SHOULDN’T be a middle ground, either go full on PVP or separate them.

Poetpix

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:39 AM
I've been playing for a few hours now and haven't bumped into any antags, my mmr is only 47% so I guess its not that high, I'm not sure what the factors are to loading in with an antag at all. As for me I don't play antag that much at all, with update 13 though it looks like you will get rewards for antaging too so expect more bad guys crashing your party i think. I actually like it though it gives a fun twist to the game but I understand some player's pain.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:49:48 PM
My solution to you would be to lower MMR. Currently it is the soft switch for Raiders to turn off PvP mode. At lower MMRs, say 0% to 20, maybe 30% you get FAR less antags. The further down the less you will get. It's the only option we have to survive currently and you have to repeat it when you grind all the way back up again with your MMR.

MeleeMaster

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:36:22 AM
Doubling the gold/faction rewards would be pretty good.

Satoro

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:50:44 AM
The gold/faction reward bonus looks tempting. Right now when i try to get a blueprint on some specific (hard) maps and a rank 1 antagonist pops up, i automatically assume the match is lost (I'm low level with no forged weapons). And by that most likely a waste of time. it hurts even more when its a gold blueprint and i need to waste even more time trying to get wins back up.
I'm seriously thinking about just abandoning matches the moment antagonist pops up and not getting annoyed with it at this point. Not cool i know, but i stopped caring at last gold blueprint that took me over 5h to get...

MeleeMaster

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32:25 AM
I'm seriously thinking about just abandoning matches the moment antagonist pops up and not getting annoyed with it at this point. Not cool i know, but i stopped caring at last gold blueprint that took me over 5h to get...

It's totally cool quitting so you don't lose your daily rewards to antag scum, I did it several times. It's better to wait five minutes in the bench than playing against an annoying douche for 15 to 20 min. This game rewards that kind of behaviour so just play it by its rules.

Velgeder

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:46 AM
The gold/faction reward bonus looks tempting. Right now when i try to get a blueprint on some specific (hard) maps and a rank 1 antagonist pops up, i automatically assume the match is lost (I'm low level with no forged weapons). And by that most likely a waste of time. it hurts even more when its a gold blueprint and i need to waste even more time trying to get wins back up.

I don't think you should abandon your teammates because of an antag.  Keep in mind that those players won't forget you and may abandon you while you're trying to get your precious rewards.  Of course in a Team based game, do what's best for you.

Satoro

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 03:06:32 PM

I don't think you should abandon your teammates because of an antag.  Keep in mind that those players won't forget you and may abandon you while you're trying to get your precious rewards.  Of course in a Team based game, do what's best for you.

The thing is atm there is no point for anyone to stick around in that situation. If it's a daily reward mission you are bound to get low score or lose vs rank 1 antagonist, so lower reward or non at all. It's literally a wast of time. Thats why i like the double reward idea.
And i try not to leave. I quit maybe 3 times in total when it was a mission without timer and the antagonist didn't wipe us out at the no respawns phase, just to prolong it or something(he literally danced next to last alive teammate waiting for the timer to go away...). And when it was something like 3 rank 6 and one rank 5 vs rank 1 antagonist. We were fucked getting slathered and only 2 ppl voted to leave so we both basically quit on them.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 12:10:31 AM
Already have a good idea who THAT anrag might have been. and he's the most toxic and biggest ass hole there is. I don't blame you if you left. No one should have to go through that kind of frustration and waste of time. I would do a 5 minute over the 20 or 30 minute if I had rare rewards on the line as well. Just don't do it too often.

Lehi

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 07:23:12 AM
Currently, there is no way to remove antags from pve games. What you can do is to antag and kill all the guys grinding golds and turn them all against MSE. Also don’t forget to kill newbies repeatedly so you can make MSE to realize they have to do something before young player base disappears.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 07:19:41 AM
It's the only way things may change, unfortunately. We'll see what happens on the 8th