Author Topic: Character ideas...  (Read 2411 times)

Doctor_Phish

• View Profile
Character ideas...
on: September 29, 2017, 06:29:44 AM
I have been watching this game on and off for a while now.  It caught my attention at first glance.  The more I learned to more interesting it seemed.  Now that it is out and I have gotten to play I find that I was right.  Sadly there are not many characters I currently enjoy running as.  The gameplay is fun but there are so few raiders I enjoy.  Granted the roster is currently small and more are assuredly to come.  So I am holding out hope.  Being a writer with a vivid imagination I often find myself dreaming things up...that has turned to this game as of late.  Thus I have found myself thinking up character concepts.  Which I figured I would share to see what everyone thinks of them.  There are so many and I do not want to take up to much time for others who choose to read.  Due to that I have decided to only present four...my favorites of the bunch that I have imagined.

The first being a local.  Heavily infused with flora.  Part tree part man.  His weapons being different types of thorns...one that poisons, another that makes growths which explode, and one that slows with each successful hit to eventually root an enemy struck enough times.  His ability is to release spores that heal himself and nearby allies.

Second hailing from the Hades Division.  A silent woman whom is more agile and swift then most others.  Able to do more without making her presence known to others.  Even capable of shooting her bow a time or two without glowing red.  As mentioned her weapon is a bow.  Different ones can do different things.  Each requiring a moment to draw the string before releasing an arrow...one could take longer but deal more damage while another can be faster at the cost of damage.  Her ability is to infuse her bow with power making draw time able to be instant, the arrows to travel quicker as well as straighter, and every shot deals more damage.  While her ability is active she can fire a set number of times which is lessened if she takes time to draw though the longer she does the more damage she deals with the next shot.

Then there is one belonging to the Fifth Council.  Her body thin and frail.  Thus she requires machinery to aid her in moving.  Due to that she makes more noise and is much easier to be seen.  Thankfully she is more durable and can withstand a good deal of dangerous attention.  Her weapons are attachments for her arm that she can swap out.  Much like a hand canon.  One could knock back a struck foe, another could be electrified to cause a brief stagger, and so on.  Her ability is to release all of her augments from her pack...turning her nearly into a mech.  While active she can shoot faster and deal more melee damage.  However she can not take cover.  The ability slowly withers over time and any damage she takes goes directly to it instead of her health.  The ability replenishes over time while not active and each successful hit with her hand canon speeds it up.

Last but not least is a fellow who is not doubt part of the Umbra Wardogs.  His body mutilated.  He uses weapons that are scrapped together.  Each having a burst fire.  One shoots three rivets in slow succession, another rapidly fires five bolts, and one that launches two pieces of scrap at a moderate speed.  His ability is to release drugs into himself that mutate him into a beast.  While active he can not use weapons for his hands turn into claws.  He moves on all fours and thus achieves greater movement speed.  His melee attacks are faster and stronger.  Melee kills replenish both his life and ability meter...in as well as out of his mutated form.  Melee kills is the only way for him to replenish his ability though.

JYNXEDZ

• View Profile
Re: Character ideas...
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:23:05 AM
Wow!!! Buddy not to be rude or anything but a tip for your next post. Keep it nice and short and quick to the point. I mean I read it all but I don't think too many people are gonna and that's damn shame.

Rhynerd

• Raider as of 6/10, if that means anything.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 01:20:16 PM
The first being a local.  Heavily infused with flora.  Part tree part man.  His weapons being different types of thorns...one that poisons, another that makes growths which explode, and one that slows with each successful hit to eventually root an enemy struck enough times.  His ability is to release spores that heal himself and nearby allies.
I don't think it's possible for the locals to be part tree. At best, they can be "rebuilt" with Aleph, as Harec was, and that seemed to be a pretty specific rebuild in terms of materials used.
That being said, you do seem to provide some set abilities and weapon varieties, and I think they could work. The character would probably just need to have their theme changed to be more of an apothecary or something.

Second hailing from the Hades Division.  A silent woman whom is more agile and swift then most others.  Able to do more without making her presence known to others.  Even capable of shooting her bow a time or two without glowing red.  As mentioned her weapon is a bow.  Different ones can do different things.  Each requiring a moment to draw the string before releasing an arrow...one could take longer but deal more damage while another can be faster at the cost of damage.  Her ability is to infuse her bow with power making draw time able to be instant, the arrows to travel quicker as well as straighter, and every shot deals more damage.  While her ability is active she can fire a set number of times which is lessened if she takes time to draw though the longer she does the more damage she deals with the next shot.
When you say "infuse her bow with power making draw time able to be instant" I think two things:
1. That could have used some proofreading.
2. I think it would be smarter to say that her drawing arm is cybernetic. With her ability she can arm operate at superhuman extents, allowing her to draw faster, and maybe also hit harder (both with the bow and in melee).

Then there is one belonging to the Fifth Council.  Her body thin and frail.  Thus she requires machinery to aid her in moving.  Due to that she makes more noise and is much easier to be seen.  Thankfully she is more durable and can withstand a good deal of dangerous attention.  Her weapons are attachments for her arm that she can swap out.  Much like a hand canon.  One could knock back a struck foe, another could be electrified to cause a brief stagger, and so on.  Her ability is to release all of her augments from her pack...turning her nearly into a mech.  While active she can shoot faster and deal more melee damage.  However she can not take cover.  The ability slowly withers over time and any damage she takes goes directly to it instead of her health.  The ability replenishes over time while not active and each successful hit with her hand canon speeds it up.
So, a Fifth Council Cyborg who is built sort of for riot situations.
She can activate what could be called a juggernaut mode. Work like a set of armor, but it also buffs her combat actions and limits her movement until it either wears of or gets shot off.
Her weapons sound to be wrist-mounted guns, but while described as "hand canons," they sound more like shotguns. One version provides stagger like the default gun used by Lycus, while the other provides knockback like the standard issue Fifth Council shotgun.
She almost sounds like a reason for the forums to stop calling Konstantin the most OP raider.

Last but not least is a fellow who is not doubt part of the Umbra Wardogs.  His body mutilated.  He uses weapons that are scrapped together.  Each having a burst fire.  One shoots three rivets in slow succession, another rapidly fires five bolts, and one that launches two pieces of scrap at a moderate speed.  His ability is to release drugs into himself that mutate him into a beast.  While active he can not use weapons for his hands turn into claws.  He moves on all fours and thus achieves greater movement speed.  His melee attacks are faster and stronger.  Melee kills replenish both his life and ability meter...in as well as out of his mutated form.  Melee kills is the only way for him to replenish his ability though.
I don't know about the weapon, but I know the devs have hinted at there being  werewolf wardog character joining the raiders in the future.

Doctor_Phish

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:01:53 PM
Wow!!! Buddy not to be rude or anything but a tip for your next post. Keep it nice and short and quick to the point. I mean I read it all but I don't think too many people are gonna and that's damn shame.
I am all for constructive criticism.  So any tips are more then welcome.  This however is not exactly helpful.  Still I am thankful for such.  Simply put I am a writer and that tends to carry over into other things I do...like making posts for example.  More and more I am told that I am to descriptive.  As time goes on people seem to want to read less and less.  Which is the true shame in my opinion.  I believe that details are important though.  Which I actually removed a great deal to shorten the original post.  Yet still some find it to much.  Saddens me a good deal.  Nevertheless I appreciate you taking the time to read and give reply.

I don't think it's possible for the locals to be part tree. At best, they can be "rebuilt" with Aleph, as Harec was, and that seemed to be a pretty specific rebuild in terms of materials used.
That being said, you do seem to provide some set abilities and weapon varieties, and I think they could work. The character would probably just need to have their theme changed to be more of an apothecary or something.
You may very well have a valid point.  With that said I like to believe that one's imagination is the limit with a game like this. That is part of the allure for me.  So perhaps there is a way to make it happen. I'm sure at one time before the planet was broken there were some type of flora.  Maybe said character was a caretaker of a forest.  When the planet began to break he took some of his beloved plants into hiding.  Where he watch them slowly wither.  To save them he use aleph to infuse them into himself.  Or something along those lines.

When you say "infuse her bow with power making draw time able to be instant" I think two things:
1. That could have used some proofreading.
2. I think it would be smarter to say that her drawing arm is cybernetic. With her ability she can arm operate at superhuman extents, allowing her to draw faster, and maybe also hit harder (both with the bow and in melee).
You are right.  That certainly could have used some proofreading.  Others normally error check for me so I have become rather lazy with such.  A sad thing I know.  I need to retrain myself and not always rely on someone else.  But yes your suggestions are actually what I was going for with the concept.

So, a Fifth Council Cyborg who is built sort of for riot situations.
She can activate what could be called a juggernaut mode. Work like a set of armor, but it also buffs her combat actions and limits her movement until it either wears of or gets shot off.
Her weapons sound to be wrist-mounted guns, but while described as "hand canons," they sound more like shotguns. One version provides stagger like the default gun used by Lycus, while the other provides knockback like the standard issue Fifth Council shotgun.
She almost sounds like a reason for the forums to stop calling Konstantin the most OP raider.
Yes she would be for riot situations.  Pretty much having a juggernaut mode...when she becomes almost a mech of sorts.
Yes her suit would slow her movement, keep her constantly revealed, and prevent her from taking cover.  Pretty much turning her into a huge target.
As for her weapons they are replacing her dominant hand.  Pretty much an arm canon.  Not to be confused with shotguns.  They would cause a small blast radius thus harming her as well as staggering or knocking her back if she is to close.  Also having a drop off after a certain distance.  Making them mostly a mid ranged weapon.
Yes she could easily be OP if not properly balanced.

I don't know about the weapon, but I know the devs have hinted at there being  werewolf wardog character joining the raiders in the future.
A werewolf character would be awesome...and make this concept rather redundant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:11:17 PM by Doctor_Phish »