Author Topic: There NEEDS to be a Melee Tutorial  (Read 12154 times)

TehMud

• View Profile
There NEEDS to be a Melee Tutorial
on: September 23, 2017, 07:22:03 AM
It is absolutely necessary. Full disclosure, I played alot of Closed Beta so I understood how it worked. However my first game, none of my teammates knew the Rock Paper Scissors mechanics. The Antagonist just grappled all of them and not a single one melee'ed to Parry.

Steam reviews as well complain that Grapple is a OHKO with "No Counter". No one seems to know that a melee attack counters a grapple.

I feel for the game to succeed there really needs to be a change to the tutorial, or some necessary thing that explains how melee works, as the majority don't seem to understand it.

stridedxeno

• View Profile
Re: There NEEDS to be a Melee Tutorial
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:46:44 AM
it really feels like nothing has changed since the beta.. or is this a open beta?? i cant tell anymore... but yea a tutorial is def  a must need for new players that  just got the game if they want this to succeed..

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:06:21 PM
it really feels like nothing has changed since the beta.. or is this a open beta?? i cant tell anymore... but yea a tutorial is def  a must need for new players that  just got the game if they want this to succeed..

It's final release, hence all the newbies that don't know the melee system. They just get wrecked by any competent Antagonist because they don't know how to counter grappling.

Neekopol

• as you think, so you are
    • View Profile
    • Goha.ru
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:10:54 PM

Ebisu_rkz

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:07:00 PM

I dont think lot of ppl will read that. You can't call a tutorial some text guide.

You only need to look at some new streamers that this game need a melee tutorial, and probably an aleph tutorial too. It is where most new players look lost.

Neekopol

• View Profile
    • Goha.ru
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:51:36 PM
I dont think lot of ppl will read that. You can't call a tutorial some text guide.

You only need to look at some new streamers that this game need a melee tutorial, and probably an aleph tutorial too. It is where most new players look lost.
problems of people who can not read in 2d17

Ebisu_rkz

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:57:09 PM

people also know how to walk and they use cars to do short distances.

Particle

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:18:26 AM
Blaming the player for not reading something they don't want to read would be a horrible design decision. You should look for a way to teach them properly without them even noticing they're in a tutorial.

Regardless, even as someone who read the guide, I still feel like I would really benefit from an advanced tutorial/challenge level. I'm having a lot of trouble learning how to see CQC tells and react in time, especially when I'm in the heat of a match and dealing with other players and potentially high ping. And it's clear I'm not the only one having this issue, as so are the people I'm playing with. My teams keep getting smashed on the third part of the prologue, even when there is no Antagonist in our match, as the elite enemies just keep swarming people and killing them with the 1HKO. Just giving me a simple single-player mission with a bunch of elites would be really helpful to me in learning how to properly exploit and enjoy this Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanic rather than becoming frustrated with it and giving up.

taterthot

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 05:46:04 PM

You see, for this logic to work, you'd have to literally have never had any trouble in any game ever because you're implying people are stupid or lazy because a 6 panel melee discription wasn't enough for them.

Thing is, I know you've had trouble in games, so stop being a turbonerd.

To make another car reference, it's like telling someone how a stick shift works on paper, then thinking they'll have absolutely no issues doing it in practice. Additionally, learning HOW to use melee during a mission and possibly ruining the whole thing for yourself or your team is awful when you should be able to go to a tutorial or practice area to get it down first.

Neekopol

• View Profile
    • Goha.ru
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:17:51 PM
The game has a visual instruction, see, read, understand, use. So what the problem?

Particle

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 08:44:05 PM
The game has a visual instruction, see, read, understand, use. So what the problem?
So does this forum thread, but clearly you are having issues comprehending it. I'm not going to bother restating myself if you are just going to dismiss everyone's reasoning.

Almars

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 12:38:32 PM
Nice topic. It's like buying a car and saying that the car is bad because the manufacturer didn't teach you how to drive it despite the fact that there is an instruction.

alef321

• Fun is the priority
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 03:00:51 PM
no,there needs to be a melee rework
it doesn't work as intended and it just not fun at all.

AllMostOliver

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 04:44:55 AM
What do you mean with "it doesn't work as intended? They were going for a Rock paper scissor Mechanic, And that's what they have achieved, it's just about timing and Being able to read your opponent's Movement : )

Weasel

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:35 AM
Personally I like the melee system and I think it's fun! It took me quite a few games to really get it. It's simple to explain but the execution takes some time. I know people like the melee system because I'm in games where that's all the other players do. They also die, A LOT, because of bad execution.