Author Topic: Road to SpaceGuilds #1  (Read 9136 times)

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Road to SpaceGuilds #1
on: November 27, 2018, 04:48:37 PM

SpaceGuilds, the first major update in the Spacelords Roadmap, is almost upon us. As you can expect, the Guilds are the main focus of this update, and we will offer much more information about how they work in the following days. But there are many, many new features, tweaks and refinements included in this milestone that deserve their time under the spotlight. Today, we will focus on a new feature that will be quite handy for Raiders and Antagonists alike: The Radar.

We have been considering adding a radar for some time, and the feedback received from our community convinced us to finally implement it in the game. We have gone through many different iterations until we settled for a version that worked along the game’s mechanics. 

As you can see, the radar itself is simple and functional. Located in the lower left corner, it will pop up when you have enemies in your vicinity. Your foes will be shown as red blips of varying sizes -those located on your same altitude will be shown as dot of equal size as yours, while others above and below your position will appear as bigger and smaller blips, respectively.   

The inclusion of a radar makes the tactical management of Aleph and the stress levels even more important. Raiders and Antagonists will only be visible on the radar when they are stressed.

You can use this to your advantage by keeping your stress level under control and moving literally under the radar, or doing the exact opposite and luring your rivals to an ambush, or divert their attention from the main objective. The choice is yours!

Enemy elites and special enemies, like a final boss, will be also shown in the radar with special icons.

The inclusion of the radar will hopefully add a new dimension to your Spacelords games, and we are looking forward seeing new strategies emerging around it when it goes live along the SpaceGuilds update -coming really soon!

What do you think of this new feature? Let us know your opinion in the Spacelords Official Forum, Twitter and Facebook.

See you on the Broken Planet! :D

Tekato

• View Profile
Re: Road to SpaceGuilds #1
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:08:49 PM
Honestly we didn't really need a radar, but cool I guess? Also how would this function on low stress enemies, will they still show up on the radar? Like if an antagonist tried to sneak up on you unstressed will they get exposed by the radar. Seems like this could create many problems for antagonists.

Thanks for updating us on new content anyway Karen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:11:50 PM by Tekato »

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:17:21 PM
It will only affect stressed enemies. So a local, or someone managing their stress, sneaks up behind you, they will not show up on The Radar

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:23:26 PM
It will only affect stressed enemies. So a local, or someone managing their stress, sneaks up behind you, they will not show up on The Radar
That makes sense I just wasn't sure.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 06:41:10 PM
OMG, poor Wardog antagonists. LOL

Fantastic news, by the way. I feel bad for antagonists though, but I'm no antagonists so...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:56:07 PM by Level9Drow »

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:19 PM
 Im gonna call it "Raid-ar" because Raiders will be the ones who will benefit the most from the radar. This will only make the game more difficult for Antagonists.

I dont think the game needed a radar but oh well.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:27:44 PM
As a Raider I will love my Raid-ar. But I can tell you one thing, with the new reliance on radar the Locals are going to be DEADLY AF.

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:50:11 PM
Cool, but can I turn it off ?

VillainousPixels

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 09:55:55 PM
PLEASE don't do this. This will cripple antagonist gameplay for every character that needs to play at close range. How will Alicia be able to maneuver out of the raider's notice if there is a redundant radar always telling them where she is? You already have a system that flags enemy positions. Don't ruin that by making gameplay mindless. A good player keeps an eye on their surroundings at all times, moving the camera. I'll never be able to glide over distracted raiders and take them out from above after this. People already have to work so extremely hard for a victory as antagonist, don't make it impossible.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:01:56 PM by VillainousPixels »

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 10:29:02 PM
Cool, but can I turn it off ?

Yes it can be turned off

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 10:33:14 PM
PLEASE don't do this. This will cripple antagonist gameplay for every character that needs to play at close range. How will Alicia be able to maneuver out of the raider's notice if there is a redundant radar always telling them where she is? You already have a system that flags enemy positions. Don't ruin that by making gameplay mindless. A good player keeps an eye on their surroundings at all times, moving the camera. I'll never be able to glide over distracted raiders and take them out from above after this. People already have to work so extremely hard for a victory as antagonist, don't make it impossible.

Additional situational awareness has indeed been requested by players before. Things like markers to point towards stressed enemies or something. I always considered the tunnel vision created by shooting at things to be a stylistic choice to make gameplay more tactical.

But you're right, this will definitely affect Wardog antagonists in a negative manner heavier than anything else. It will be a buff for Locals though, since players may develop a false sense of security if they don't see a blip on their radar.

It was said the distance the radar shows is about 8 meters, but I'm not too sure on the accuracy of that because distances are sooooo hard to judge in this game. Cards that require you to stand within 5 meters of an ally, for example, you pretty much have to hug them.

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 11:05:58 PM
The Raid-ar should disappear when aiming and firing your gun.

flowone

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 11:24:23 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I know currently when I play as a Raider I take advantage of the 3rd person camera and I'm constantly scanning. Yeah the radar could help new people but its honestly something they should adapt too. And like what Drow said, it could encourage some slight, unhealthy dependence on it. This is going to give us Antags a bit of a problem especially for those Wardog types if they can't at least jump an enemy from behind when they aren't paying attention. If you use Hades Raiders you better get that Cold Blooded Card if you don't already have it. You're going to need it.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 11:37:36 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I know currently when I play as a Raider I take advantage of the 3rd person camera and I'm constantly scanning. Yeah the radar could help new people but its honestly something they should adapt too. And like what Drow said, it could encourage some slight, unhealthy dependence on it. This is going to give us Antags a bit of a problem especially for those Wardog types if they can't at least jump an enemy from behind when they aren't paying attention. If you use Hades Raiders you better get that Cold Blooded Card if you don't already have it. You're going to need it.

Well council and Hades can sneak just fine and not come up on radar, they just move very slow.

@Ac3_f4ce  ...This is a good idea. I think when you are aiming your gun you aren't looking at the little radar device hanging off your belt, jacket, etc...

Urgehal

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 12:44:43 AM
Eh, seems unnecessary to me. I always liked that you had to be super aware in this game and always moving the camera to watch your flank/blindspot. (them ninja elites bruh...)

Atleast it'll be helpful for newer players...