Author Topic: These are a few of my favorite things...  (Read 2983 times)

Placelord

• View Profile
These are a few of my favorite things...
on: November 20, 2018, 06:58:08 AM
1. I love the aesthetic of this game. It was the Schneider trailer that made me realize there was something special here. All of the characters I've seen so far are very well defined and refreshingly unique. They feel so authenticly bad ass. I commend how they were able to find the right balance of edgy an irreverent. I cannot remember the last time I was so compelled by style. It takes me back to when I was a teenager.

2. The seemingly counter intuitive combat design fascinates me. I would have thought a multiplayer game with one hit kills and quick recovery would be unplayable. But it's actually one of the most fair feeling online shooters I've played in recent memory. I feel like I can actually compete, unlike other games where I'm never given enough room to improve.

3. I never feel like I have to pay constantly to get any enjoyment out of the game. I like how I can potentially earn everything. In fact there have been several instances where I've wanted to spend money on this game and couldn't find a way to do so. That's madness in this gaming era. And I love it. Seriously though I would be happy to drop some cash in if it would keep this thing alive.

4. The co operative dynamic keeps me from feeling like I'm not welcome. It seems like a lot of multiplayer communities are bent on punishing players for trying to join in. Whether you're a pro or a noob, you have a common enemy to rally against. Yeah there is still potential for salt, but a well coordinated assault makes this game rise above gloriously.

5. The stress meter is a really clever variation on stealth. You really have to be considerate about your playstyle in a way I've never really seen incentivised before. It really teases out the advantages and disadvantages of every possible behavior.

6. The customization is unexpectedly deep. When I started I was running Alicia and thought I was doing fairly well. I was still approaching the game like it was a typical shooter. Then I checked out a YouTube video breaking down her mechanics and realized that there was so much more going on uptairs than I gave it credit for. The card and weapon synergies that are possible kind of remind me of a well constructed TCG combo. If you approach the game on it's own terms and are clever; the types of builds, roles, and strategies available are bonkers.

7. This game is clutch incarnate. There are so many moments where I'm on the edge of my seat absolutely astonished that I'm not just surviving but succeeding. Every victory feels hard won and hard fought. There are times when you're avoiding bullets, mines, death rays, and electric fields all the while fistfighting a dude on a precipice and you know one wrong move is gonna wipe the whole party but you hold out just long enough. It feels unfair at times but when you're in the zone it's sooo good. And really, when every entity is equally in extreme danger at any moment, can it really be considered unfair at that point?

I just thought I'd start out on the forum giving the devs a big thumbs up. While I do have my criticisms, it often seems the unsatisfied customers are the only ones who ever speak up. I really hope the gaming community at large realizes what's on offer here. I'm spreading the word as much as I can.

I'm just hoping that it's not to late to sand some of the rough edges off because what's beneath the surface here makes most of what's on the market right now look lazy, unscrupulous, and must importantly, no fun.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:18:58 AM by Placelord »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: These are a few of my favorite things...
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:18 PM
Ah, my good doppelganger double who says good things about the game as opposed to complaining. Curse you for canceling out my negativity!!! *shakes fist*

PS: His real name is Level 10 High Elf.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:21:48 PM by Level9Drow »

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:28:55 PM
With a chin like that how could I get mad at you?

Urgehal

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 02:42:58 PM
Nice & positive topic and I agree with all of it. The game is awesome isn't it?
Only wished the skins in this game would cost less. I would love to fork my money to MSE, but alot of it is overpriced. Funny thing is, the skins would probably sell much more if it was lowered...But whatever, it's just cosmetics. The game is my new addiction and I can't wait to see what the future holds!

tplarkin7

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:19:54 AM
After a couple hours of play, I'm really liking it. Very impressive production values and the game mechanics feel great.

TheNobleWolf

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 05:57:39 AM
It's a great game! I'm glad they announced a new character to solidify my belief that they haven't given up.

tplarkin7

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:19:42 AM
It's a great game! I'm glad they announced a new character to solidify my belief that they haven't given up.
Stephanie Joosten's post is why I downloaded the game. I saw it on Xbox Live in my activity feed.