Author Topic: Please take a hard look at match scoring  (Read 3372 times)

SniffaXxX

• View Profile
Please take a hard look at match scoring
on: October 12, 2019, 07:17:40 PM
The road to the end of the monthly score milestones can be difficult and tidious. I get that that it’s for the best of the best and only the most committed players. But in the end, it really just comes down to luck. Luck that you’ll actually get matched with a high mmr antag for your raider matches and luck that you’ll get a high mmr raider group as antag. Both are far and few between with the current state of the community throwing matches to lower their mmr.
A match with an antagonist with high enough difficulty is really the only feasible way to get really high score as a raider. Because you need the antagonist kills and their difficulty score.
Because when you’re playing without an antagonist, regardless of difficulty. The personal factor for kills and the team score for time are counter intuitive. You’ll either get a lot of kills in a long match or do the match fast and not get a lot of kills. It’s hard to fill both of these parameters.
Which brings us to the next issue, there needs to be more personal parameters other than kills. Boss damage, objectives completed, aleph deposited. These are a must. If you pick a character essential to the mission, say Schneider for DoW, or Rak for short fused to run the bombs and aleph. You’re literally sacrificing your score for the team. Running the mission objectives while your team gets all the kills and then the high score.
Personally, I feel the score should be worked in such a way that it’s possible to achieve a 10 on mission score. And anything above that comes from personal score.
Currently, when you get towards the end of the milestones. You end up queueing for specific maps, over and over, hoping for the stars to align and improve on a perfect run to get .3 higher. At this point it’s not really fun, it’s tidious and frustrating.
Thanks for reading, and best wishes.

Deadlyweiss

• View Profile
Re: Please take a hard look at match scoring
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:47:05 PM
I completely agree - for example, I had what I would consider a "perfect" run on Beast's Lair (no deaths, 6ish min completion time and over 40mmr) and I still couldn't get even a 9 because the soldiers kill score was lacking.

The current scoring system is frustrating to both sides, as getting a great score basically requires a team of high mmr players meeting a high mmr antagonist and then wiping the floor with them.

My suggestions would be:
* For lower mmr antags, make the match take the actual difficulty into account and not the antag's (so if you end up in a 70% match, you're scored accordingly)
* For raiders, score basically any action that contributes to advancing the mission: boss damage, aleph put into objectives, levers activated, and so on.
* For all antags, put more weight into kills/delay rather than the raider's mmr. With passives being removed, it's essentially the same to deal with different types of raiders - a total wipe of the raiders should score a 10 imo, not a 8-9 simply because the raiders happened to have too low mmr.

Engelsgaard

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:50 AM
I mostly agree. The only part where I disagree, is that an antag is not really necessary for a high score.
However it is absolutely true that a high difficulty (without antag) generally lowers the score, as you kill fewer enemies, you die more often and it takes longer. The higher scores through difficulty never ever compensates this.
My highest scores are either with antag or with difficulty around 35 (+/-5). My difficulty when playing with friends was usually 45+, that's why it rarely helped with my high-scores (but it was fun nonetheless).

Another big issue is that you get punished for focusing on objectives and bosses. When playing destroyer of worlds and I see three raiders picking melee builds, I'm already disappointed. If I pick a melee-raider as well, to get lots of kills, all of us will get a lower score because it takes too long. If I pick a boss-killer, my score will be low-ish because I don't have time killing grunts.

Please count way more stats, for example "aleph used for objectives" and "overall damage dealt" as well as "damage prevented" (Sööma) and "hp healed  on others" (overheal not counting).

SniffaXxX

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 06:19:37 PM
Healing category would be great. Maybe just call it “support” and include Sööma’s shields. Or even mikah barriers