Author Topic: Talents progression: "Capacity" (post-Heavy Metal)  (Read 2658 times)

Oxnardo

• View Profile
Talents progression: "Capacity" (post-Heavy Metal)
on: October 02, 2019, 01:47:35 AM
(I suppose the idea of timed crafting comes to "solve" the problem of regulating the pace of progression of the players. But it's a precarious/intricate solution and it doesn't really synergyze with this type of game.

One of the things most called for by both newcomers and veterans alike; is the possibility to unlock and experiment a decent variety of builds with more flexibility and based on their own decisions rather than a limited number of random options. The latest system installed is good because it removed the limits and the randomness, but it's far from being flexible, in fact it's the opposite of flexible.)

Now let's get to the heart of the matter. To really solve this issue I propose getting rid of the crafting times for Talents, and instead; implement a "capacity" attribute on the characters. Players will be able to increase this attribute on specific characters with points earned by leveling up.

Just to make things more clear I'll state an example. Every character has the capacity to learn a huge amount of Talents. Currently once you meet certain lvls a group of Talents become available for every character.

My suggestion aims for a more personal system based on a Talents "capacity limit" increased by players as they level up. Each character would start with a capacity of 1; meaning they are only able to hold a single Talent (their starting Talent by default). When the players level up; they will be granted a given amount of "capacity points" to spend on their characters of choice to increase their Talents capacity limit.

So; for a character to learn more Talents beyond their starting card, they will need to buy the new Talent with 1 capacity point and its respective price in Talent Points; if you don't have capacity points you can't unlock further Talents until you level up again and get more "capcity points".

In the same vein; further groups of Talents that are more advanced down the list; will be locked behind the players' level AND would require the player to pay more Talent Points and the characters must have unlocked a specific amount of talents on the lesser rows of Talents.

For example the second row of Talents for all characters will be available to unlock at level 20, but for each specific character first you need to have 3 talents unlocked on the first row to be able to advance to the second. And then they would need to learn at least 4 Talents of the second row to be able to advance to the third, and so on.

Lastly; why would we need both "capacity points" and Talent Points? Well the capacity points will only be there to increase the amount of Talents a character can hold, and Talent Points; much like their current function; will determine the cost of learning a Talent. So for example learning a Talent from the first row will cost you 1 capacity point and 500 Talent Points, but a golden Talent from the last row will cost you 1 capacity point and 100K Talent Points. This will present interesting scenarios on how the players manage their Talents progression "should I keep all my Talent/capacity points to focus on my favorite character? or should I distribute my points to improve the build of several characters?".

To sum up my suggestion consists on the following ideas:
> Characters will have a limited amount of Talents defined by the characters' "capacity"
> Each character starts with a Capacity of 1, being able to hold only their starting Talent
> Leveling up will give you "capacity points" to increase the characters' amount of Talents learned
> "Capacity points" will allow you to unlock 1 Talent per point plus its respective price of Talent Points for one character
> Rare Talents will still be blocked behind levels/tiers and will require a certain amount of unlocked Talents on the previous tiers.
> The more advanced the Talents are down the list the more expensive they will be
> Talent progression will be individual to each character; you won't get Talents available to unlock on all characters by leveling up
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:58:20 AM by Oxnardo »