Author Topic: Sooma first impressions  (Read 2947 times)

twistmind

• View Profile
Sooma first impressions
on: July 17, 2019, 02:39:21 AM
First things first, I do really appreciate the recruit feature. Got to try Sooma on a couple of matches before I had to leave for work. Much nicer than grinding gold to unlock a new raider with a playstyle that doesn't quite click with me(looking at you, Doldren.)
So, playing with basic cards and an unleveled weapon, my thoughts are a solid ehh.  Being able to shield raiders and friendly NPCs is amazing, but the damage buff feels a bit lackluster, and it takes a suprising number of rounds fired to deplete the meter far enough to start absorbing damage safely again.
Her basic gun is certainly interesting but I don't know if it's particularly good. It doesn't seem to cause any self-damage, which is certainly nice yet it doesn't feel like it does much to enemies, either. There's probably a sweet spot you need to hit for maximizing DPS I haven't felt out yet.
I'd say she's average. Not great but not terrible, plenty of room to grow though. One last thought, more about her design. Maybe it's just me, but her head seems oddly small for her body. I don't know what it is, but it's especially noticeable looking at her in profile. Could be her posture, maybe it's her clothing, but I can't unsee it.

Jaguar0185

• View Profile
Re: Sooma first impressions
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:00:18 AM
i dont like that she takes too long for the finisher on regular enemies specially when there are more enemies around you!

Alex2199

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:47:08 AM
I have played around with Sooma a bit. Not much though. I found the best way to get damage from her base gun is shooting the floors and walls. It then works like a gas bomb. However the damage, even fully max forge, is still weak against everything. I feel its in the same field as the original Atlas. A buff to the area it affects and the damage then the gun will be really fun to use. Even if they don't do a damage buff adding in some sort of tick damage like a poisoning effect would be nice. Her rare is good however doesn't fit my play style all that much. Redeemer is where she shines in my opinion. Your still support and you can run and gun like any other wardog class. Ontop of that you don't really need the damage buff from her ability to feel powerful which means I can focus more on shielding vs keeping my buff up at the highest it can

Cyber_hunter026

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 05:43:17 PM
Been playing with her for two days. make this day 3 of launch,  so far i like her playstyle. I like the pain/damage mechanics. it. Makes her different and stand out from the rest of the other raiders. It took to some getting use to her,  but i took her in a few solo missions to get a flow and rhythm of her weapons and special abilities. First base weapon; the last vial is interesting, you have to shoot walls and floors in order to get damage out of it. it's not my particular favorite but it's not terrible. think of it as a cross between the Invicta and rak's Shepard. shooting the floor or walls like the Invicta, and a spread shot like the Shepard. second weapon is her rare; the carthasis.  you basically have two alternate firing modes,  one fills up actually damage bar.  when it does,  you can mow down up to two or 3 enemies at a time. keep in mind, that doesn't even include the pain bar which really eats them. you have to alternate back in forth between both modes, keeping the damage bar full is a priority and her pain bar.  Overall my favorite weapon of hers and I'd recommend to get, but that's a personal imo.  haven't tried the redeemer yet but I'm interested in it once i rebuild my gold back up.  overall i like her and i think she'll be one of my two mains,  the next being aneska. 

lokoangel48

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 05:32:40 AM
She's pretty great

Addy253

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 11:22:07 AM
ive been playing sooma for about 4-6 hours per day since her release and i gotta say i like her she is very balanced and a nightmare for antags she does a better support role than iune imo however her damage sucks even at forge 10 the catharsis is a meh gimmick tickles fifth council and dont bother using it on boss fights same applies to her first weapon its mediocre at best her prime weapon i have to say is the redeemer its CC properties compliment her supportive role the deal enough damage for weaker team maktes to make very light work of mobs and its mostly used on choke points or defense so perfect for missions such as low blow, double agent, fistful of salt, hanging by a thread in medias res love the new addition to the roster but her damage doesn't have Konstantin quaking in his boots

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 11:50:39 AM
I find it funny that again another raiders Common weapon out shines there Rares (Looking at you Tolchok and Shakura). The Redeemer doesn't provide burst damage like her Rare but its more reliable and consistent. I was thinking to myself when using her Rare on missions back to back, I really don't like how much effort you need to put into it to Maximize damage (and not considering her cards).

You need to fire at an enemy with its Alt mode that does Zero damage leaving you vulnerable in most situation to just fill the meter in order to use its faster fire rate and slightly increased damage, than to use its actual maximum damage you need to save up ally damage (Via Sooma ability) to build the multiplier. After ALL that you get about 1 - 2 seconds of amazing rapid damage that is probably on Par with Shae's Sa-Dhu ... before (1) the meter drops only halfway leaving you wit a sluggish fire rate and lessened damage, and (2) the Multipler from the base ability drains in the blink of an eye.

Now if you want to get that Sa-Dhu level damage you need to start shielding your allies, and using a no damage firing mode to start building to that level.

Sorry if that came out a little cynical but I really don't like that gun.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:52:24 AM by Angeles2099 »