Author Topic: Limited XP is bad design  (Read 7724 times)

Nenotek

• View Profile
Limited XP is bad design
on: July 02, 2019, 05:58:31 PM
First of all, I love the game. I play more than 3 hours a day, if I have time.

Now the newest patch did make some changes, some that I liked and two that I did not like at all: The limited capability to level up and gain XP.

Spacelords is a game that has player levels and those levels create a feeling of progression and for me that, and the fact that I find the game to be fun and decently challenging (I like playing antagonist) are the things that keep me playing. Now you have taken away the capability to level up.

What that means is that I feel like playing is useless and doesn't give me any progress at all after the four-five initial games. And that takes away alot of the game.

Today I coudn't get even a single level, even if I did win all the games with  scores between 8,9-9,3. This is really sad and discourageing. And that is especially bad for a game that (to me) seems to be strugling to get new players while keeping the old ones.

The second thing that I am worried about is the blueprints: Where do we get those now? Today there were no blueprints in the daily rewards at all, not even a single blue one. And yesterday I bought a new character so I really want those blueprints. How do we get those in the future?

Edit: As Level9Drow pointed out, these changes also affect the high level players: They can no longer "freely" change their Affinity by playing, which they need to be able to do, to get the cards they want.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 05:43:59 PM by Nenotek »

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Re: Limited XP is bad design
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 07:43:14 PM
Wow what a mess this is, I thought it coudn't get worse after the recent updates, I was wrong really wrong! Connection problem after connection problem like on every new update release. Then I made it into a game and I had to play with all 3 (!!!) lewie brothers and at the end I couldn't win and my first daily rewards were screwed up!

I always thought you people at MSE want people to play your game, but now with all the limitations, everyone (below lv200) stops playing when not receiving XP and rewards (or very little rewards) anymore. And again, stupid decisions, limiting daily rewards means limiting daily players? If I get no or only a few rewards, then it makes no sense to continue playing, right?

Ok now we have limited lifes, limited ammo, limited gold, limited talent points limited xp and limited blueprints (they can be found only in the monthly rewards, seriously???). Pretty much every aspect of the game is limited now exept aleph, but for god's sake we have that "super chicken run" drop mechanic.

I'll turn off the game and rest my head in the palms of my hands.

Praedator

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 08:49:53 PM
I agree 100 % with Nenotek. Especially frustrating is the insanely massive restriction on XP gain. Everyone under Max level suffers from slow XP gain. There is very little point in this XP restriction. I doubt most people enjoy grinding gold just to be able to extremely slowly gain XP by using 10s of thousands of gold to gain just 1 level (if even that at higher levels) by buying XP from the store. Gaining enough gold to buy new characters and build weapons was slow even before this "Play game, get 0 XP patch". Now, you can think to yourself: "I just grinded the whole day - do I want to gain 1 level or build one blue weapon? Hooray."

To give an example: I am lvl 112 and require around 8 k exp to get to lvl 113. It costs 16 k to get 4x1 k exp from the store. So it’s 32 k gold to get 8 k exp to get just 1 level. One mission gives a max of 1750 gold. Without bounty hunter weapons that means about 18 missions to level up once. Before the patch, only about 6 missions were needed to gain one level. And, that was without needing to spend 32 k of my hard-earned gold. Not to mention that the store-bought XP is unaffected by the Aequilibrium bonus.

XP gain is a very important incentive to play. This patch will surely decrease the number of active players. Moreover, the already long queue times will become even longer.

So, instead, maybe give us Experience Points when we play the game. After all, there is a reason they are called Experience Points, not Break-Your-Piggy-Bank Points. In practical terms, at least give us XP from the last daily reward. That way we would actually want to play the game.

Marcus4471

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:50 PM
B30,

I just put up a post on the other forum and couldn't agree more.

https://www.spacelordsthegame.com/community/index.php?topic=31070.msg45075#msg45075

This new patch has destroyed the game for me. I played one match, got a 9.2 score, had 40% card bonus and 40% Aquilibrium bonus both for XP gain and received a total of about 980 XP. I should have had over 3,000. Added to that I only got about 1,300 gold, even with Bounty Hunter on 22%. I should have had close to 3,000 if not more as well. I received about 800 faction points as well.

No blueprints. No faction bonuses. No rotations, just an 18hour wait or so (well that's what I was on). Then the server crashes after about 7mins of no play.

They've destroyed the game for me. I really loved it and had nothing but praise for it, but it looks to me that the corporate money men are getting involved and want their 'pound of flesh'.
They have a video up, with a Spanish woman (who's very hard to understand) speaking about "your average player plays 3 games a day" crap. They've catered to the casual gamer and literally flipped the bird at the serious gamers who put in 4hours +.

I've just deleted the game from my PS4. I won't be going back unless they delete this patch and go back to pre patch. They're absolutely insane and they're going to lose a lot of their player base, meaning far longer waits for matches, resulting in more people not playing.

Nenotek

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:08:33 AM
Altho I can not agree with your statistics (as 9,2 should net you total of 920 Talent points (the old faction points)) at the core you are right. I am also afraid of the loses in the player base, as it is already too small as it is.

Losing serious players who actually want to level up their account, would be a serious blow to the game. The queue times are already bad at times already. If they get even worse after this, that could mean the end of this game for me as well.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 12:21:54 AM
It still affects veterans. We can't change affinity now. So those cards we wanted to roll we have to wait a day or two to roll them now since cards you have access to are tied to affinity which in turn is died to leveling.

As for new players, this is a nerf to them because they NEED to gain levels so desperately in a game that has passive stats and weapon forges that higher level players enjoy in PvP over low level players.

Lolsword

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:59 AM
MercurySteam really wants to sell XP boosts lol.

They need to add more skins/taunts and a Battle Pass if they want their players to invest in the game, not this kind of bullshit...

Marcus4471

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 01:46:11 AM
Been playing games for 40 years. Never have I encountered an update that effectively is saying "**** you Spacelord players!" If ever a company wanted to commit suicide, they have with this patch. They are now the 'Gillette' of the gaming industry. Lol
I really have no incentive to play now. I work from home and put in 7 hours a day at least. But not anymore. Won't be touching the game until they scrap this update completely and rollback to the previous one.
I wonder if they've been employing Anita Sarkeesian for gaming advice?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:49:10 AM by Marcus4471 »

ScimitarSlice

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:37:01 AM
MercurySteam really wants to sell XP boosts lol.

They need to add more skins/taunts and a Battle Pass if they want their players to invest in the game, not this kind of bullshit...

Yes, Harec navy blue pajamas, harec gun metal gray pajamas, harec crimson red pajamas.  There must be dozens of games victorious with this method.

Cyber_hunter026

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 09:56:37 AM
Yeah if they don't address these issues soon,  and i mean soon. I don't think their gonna keep their current player base if not one at all. what i enjoyed  alot from playing this game, was leveling up and getting rewarded with both advanced and rare weapon blueprints.  it felt good after winning a match and seeing at the bottom the weapon you've won satisfying. XP is important, because it's crucial in being able to tackle high mmr based matches and going up against high level antagonists.  Sorry but if these changes stay, they've lost both old and new players alike. i might go purchase a battle pass for fortnite,  atleast they know how not to piss off their fans.

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:57 AM
We can call it now "Spacelords the Limited Edition", and everyone knows Limited Editions are always more costly. LOL

Wuzaor

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 07:07:38 PM
Even if the game sometimes looks great, I know devs will find a way to fuck up everything. That's why I'll never change my negative review for this game.
Oh. And I kinda forgot. Welcome to free2play mobile gaming, lads and lasses.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:10:08 PM by Wuzaor »

KaiserWanderer

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 01:08:33 AM
This game simply does not have the player population to encourage a constant stream of micro-transactions. Besides the fact that it's a rather unhealthy system in the first place, new players are going to drop this game as soon as they realize it's not feasible to keep leveling up naturally. Since so many passive stats and access to higher forge levels are tied to level progression, it further gimps low level players and makes them give up on the game.

Additionally, mid level players (myself included) who are used to the previous system and rate of rewards now have less incentive to continue the grind to higher levels, as the pace starts feeling like a snail. I used to play Spacelords all day, even after completing all rewards, because I could at least keep leveling at a healthy rate with decent rewards depending on the mission I selected. But now, I feel discouraged to keep playing this game at all, especially if MercurySteam is trying to "encourage" buying xp boosters.

As for the maxed out players, they desperately need some better form of incentive to keep playing the game. Eventually they'll max out all guns as they like, and sure the gameplay itself is fun, but there's no satisfying reward. With the faction rewards being merged into a single pool, there's less incentive to try out factions/charaters they might not. The purple currency is frankly rather worthless since there's nothing but a couple music boxes. Add more emotes, amusing voice lines they can trigger, cosmetic reskins, the ability to tip the equilibrium in the guild, anything at all.

I absolutely love this game, and I want to see it thrive and do well. However, at the current rate it feels like it's being turned into a meaningless microtransaction pay-to-feasibly-play.

Asmun

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 10:32:40 PM
What I really just want to know is, why? Why make ammo drop on the ground? Why limit experience gain per day? Why force difficulty around the broken MMR system? Etc., etc., etc.

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 02:58:10 PM
What I really just want to know is, why? Why make ammo drop on the ground? Why limit experience gain per day? Why force difficulty around the broken MMR system? Etc., etc., etc.
Because they have no brain cells left.