Author Topic: Clueless Newcomers  (Read 5599 times)

Derrin Errow

• View Profile
Clueless Newcomers
on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:45 PM
Is it just me or does almost every match with an unranked player they dont seem to know what they are supposed to do? They do one or more of these things...

Shoot elites to death
Melee the elite when they have aleph especially heavies
Not grab aleph...AT ALL
Trying to overload objectives with Aleph..but they don't have any
Ignore engineers/looters
Charging head first into enemy hordes without a plan or even realizing what the objective even is (the amount of times I had witnessed the noob(s) charge at the slicer tanks as soon as the mission starts is to much
Not using their abilities
Not taking cover
Complaining about not having ammo
Rage quit after dying 3 or more times

I know that MSE has put several tutorial videos up on the main menu but apparently no one watches them (I always watched or played tutorials and read manuals with every game so I don't suffer as much) so they go into a match thinking that it's just going to be another spunkgargleweewee shooter. Something needs to be done about it.

Addy253

• View Profile
Re: Clueless Newcomers
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:20:02 AM
ive always said from day one dont throw players into the deep end without having some form of tutorial or training grounds to get the new player familiar with buttons and objectives the new pictures explaining is nice and all but unranked players are still trying to cqc kuzman so make this MORE OBVIOUS. i will say this to the whole development team till im blue in the face make it so we have a tutorial that holds the players hands and baby them through the basics and things on a need to know basis i.e fhis is an engineer and this is a looter blah blah blah also allow us to launch single or x players in party missions im tired of waiting 10min+ to run a mission especially when in a squad with a friend had been in a que so long my buddy just sonic cd'd me got tired of waiting to play and "im outta here" went to play another game

Eizze

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:21:01 AM
You are not the only one :) They also try to grab the boss...

Solosmoke

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:07 AM
Oh, the new guys dying repeatedly and rage quitting because they can't grapple Kuzmann… It breaks my heart and yet I'm laughing the whole time. There does need to be an tutorial for more casual gamers who aren't used to it and don't know what to expect.

Bit of an anecdote for you, playing The Mouse and The Snake a couple of nights back with my son, some t3 Dion and a totally new Alicia... I spent the first few minutes watching this guy pressing all the buttons seeing what does what, grappling at the air, shooting the bridge levers, jumping repeatedly at a wall until they realised how to do her wall jump (where they straight away jumped over the edge and died). I added the person on PSN and did a few missions on mic with them until they knew the ropes. They're now playing the division instead because it wasn't for them sadly.

Seriously though, this just highlights the need for a hand holding, Cortez voiceovered, tutorial mission... Heck, Cortez could run you through the tutorial with Huey, Duey and Lewie helping as team mates or as comical side action.

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:32:30 AM
Hi guys,

As you commented, there are tutorials in the characters' menu and explanatory images in game, but we keep working on other options to help new players understand the missions. In fact, the next update includes a helfpul feature meant to guide newcomers! ;)

sonofoz

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 01:13:13 AM
isn't it pointless Derin ?

yes, new comers make mistake... as we all do, and not only newcomers.
i see first rank player who absolutly don't know mission objective or maybe just don't give a shit about it.

they just increase the monster lvl for all other players of lower lvl and run around pointlessly, just killing monsters, not even using their alephe, while teammates are OS by regular mobs poping everywhere.
i guess they just try to access highlights...

highlight, being useless on a failed mission. what an achievement...

and why not trying to grab a boss ? don't seems nonsens to me.
first you don't kow if you don't try, and second you can even grab schneider, and that doesn't instant kill him. it could have been the same for first boss kruzman for example.

of course trying to grab the council makes less sens...
but as far as i am concerned i take less grudge on new people who do not know what to do, wich is normal, than on people who willingly does shit.

and for attacking elite with bare hands. most of low/mid lvl weapons do clearly no damage, so they don't really have any other choice...

anyway, sometimes people don't play as we want they do (and it's the same for them).
if we can't stand that, i think there is tons of solo games with no-one to frustrate us.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:30:35 AM by sonofoz »

Alex2199

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 01:47:10 AM
I have no clue if this was actually in the game or if it was just some sort of fever dream BUT whenever I started there was a mandatory starter mission where you, the player, played as Harec alone on a small short mission were there was a tutorial telling you how to play (grapples, ability, "stealth", etc.) It was short and helped me out. It started off with cortex dropping you off on the side of a base and you sneak in trying to get Lycus. You fail obliviously and you play "Hanging on by a Thread" to get Lycus on your team. I never understood why they took it out of the game and replaced it with videos? I always learn from doing. I was also blessed with high level people who taught me everything.

Honestly I think that's what the game is lacking. A community who is willing to take the chance of loosing a few missions to help better others. Instead of seeing them as useless meat shields feeding lives try to give advice. That being said newcomers have to learn how to receive advice. There are countless people I tell to use their ability and they take it as me telling them they played poorly. Its a give and take and no one is seeming to want to do either.

Velgeder

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 03:42:41 AM
I have no clue if this was actually in the game or if it was just some sort of fever dream BUT whenever I started there was a mandatory starter mission where you, the player, played as Harec alone on a small short mission were there was a tutorial telling you how to play (grapples, ability, "stealth", etc.) It was short and helped me out. It started off with cortex dropping you off on the side of a base and you sneak in trying to get Lycus. You fail obliviously and you play "Hanging on by a Thread" to get Lycus on your team. I never understood why they took it out of the game and replaced it with videos? I always learn from doing. I was also blessed with high level people who taught me everything.

Honestly I think that's what the game is lacking. A community who is willing to take the chance of loosing a few missions to help better others. Instead of seeing them as useless meat shields feeding lives try to give advice. That being said newcomers have to learn how to receive advice. There are countless people I tell to use their ability and they take it as me telling them they played poorly. Its a give and take and no one is seeming to want to do either.

You're not wrong, there use to be a tutorial mission, but it was scrapped. The problem is people don't take time to read. The game also tells you how to accompmish the objectives with markers and people still fail to follow the objective. Even Cortez tells the player. MSE can't hold a players hand. Otherwise wed just need auto play feature lol

Alex2199

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 07:20:57 AM

You're not wrong, there use to be a tutorial mission, but it was scrapped. The problem is people don't take time to read. The game also tells you how to accompmish the objectives with markers and people still fail to follow the objective. Even Cortez tells the player. MSE can't hold a players hand. Otherwise wed just need auto play feature lol

Why was it scrapped though? I felt like it helped a lot. Especially whenever it came to ability usage. I feel like they should bring that starter mission back and just make videos for tips and tricks for both raider and antag

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 04:38:02 PM
well hopefully they're working on a mandatory tutorial mission

pululon

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:45 PM
There was a tutorial mission before, I don't know why it was taken out

L E T H A L ☆ C E N T A U R I

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:13 PM
There was a tutorial mission before, I don't know why it was taken out
ppl complained about it actually. They should have just tweaked it instead :/ but ehh oh well.

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 11:02:21 PM
I cant imagine what people would complain about with that early tutorial mode. It was simple and to the point but it wasn't horrible. When I first had to go through it I actually appreciated it, I thought "Oh these guys are really going out of there way to teach me the ropes,...awesome"

L E T H A L ☆ C E N T A U R I

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 12:29:26 AM
I cant imagine what people would complain about with that early tutorial mode. It was simple and to the point but it wasn't horrible. When I first had to go through it I actually appreciated it, I thought "Oh these guys are really going out of there way to teach me the ropes,...awesome"

Same. But as usual we can't have any nice shit.