Author Topic: Online Play Optional No More?  (Read 5813 times)

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Online Play Optional No More?
on: August 23, 2018, 04:26:10 PM
Please tell me this isnt so Mercurysteam. As a principle I dont invest alot of money in games that I cant play the way I want to play. I bought the Founders pack of Raiders that had Online Play optional. I 'owned' the game. I 'owned' the skins and the loadouts I paid money for. Now 'Spacelords' wont allow me to access anything without network connection. That is not what I paid for and I feel cheated. I really want clarification on if this is the way it is now, if it is, I am extremely dissapointed.

Treycol1

• HiYa raiders
    • View Profile
Re: Online Play Optional No More?
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:17 PM
wait its only a online experience now, its not offline no more, solo cant be offline no more either

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:04:05 PM
It would not let me access anything offline. So all the skins, loadouts and everything I have put into it (at least 150$) I can only access and appreciate with a network connection and their servers being online. I'm usually a single player gamer and I like to pay for a product and have access to it whenever I want, it seems it's no longer the case. Some people won't be bothered by any of this and that's fine. I'm simply saying, I won't be spending anymore money to 'borrow' the things I purchased.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:57:21 PM
I'm not sure, I'm still at work so I haven't been home to play it yet. But I think you have to earn each level as a training mode, by getting 5 medals on the mission. Once you get this this "training mode" gives you the option to solo. I am not at all sure if it's offline though.

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:31:10 PM
Training mode is there, for solo. Still have to be online.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:32:31 PM
Ugh...

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:39:32 PM
I'm not going to sit here and shit on the devs. Apparently it's gotten real toxic on discord and they have retreated into the Spanish chat because of all the hate. Most of the changes I have seen, I do not care for, but that's my opinion. I know everyone will be able to weigh in for themselves but it's a one step forward, five steps back type thing in my personal view.
  They are working on bugs and matchmaking issues right now but all I want to know is if the game is now "Online Only" or not. If it is, I feel robbed as I wouldn't have invested the money I did into the game when it was advertised as not requiring an internet connection to play it and I will cease to support the game, uninstall it and move on.
 I can't stress enough to anyone reading this. I do not play or pay for online subscriptions for games or invest in mmo's, they are just not for me. To some of you my anger about this may be silly or downright uncalled for. Just keep in mind that I believe in knowing what I am buying and that when I buy it, it is mine. That is why I am upset.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:43:16 PM by XjabberwockieX »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:08 PM
I don't regret paying for the game. They needed the support for furthering the game. I just wish they had offline as well.

Eliakin

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:09:20 PM
Just put Online all right, but whoever bought the founder pack just a few skins as a reward is pretty unpleasant, even more knowing the amount we paid and trust the developer

I do not know about you guys, but honestly I did not buy the founder pack to gain any skins, if it were to reward who bought it would be much nicer to put an infinite xp bosster for example, I feel like an idiot in buying and gaining some skins at the end of everything.

Treycol1

• HiYa raiders
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 01:37:46 AM
Yep I think its only online now

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 01:57:02 AM
"Live" games are the way of the future, I guess.

pululon

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 11:54:15 AM
I guess that taking away the offline mode is a bad idea since you have a group of players that used that mode... the only thing that you are doing with this is pushing them away... I don't know if this make things easy for the developers, but for some players can be the end in this game. And the option was there before, why take it out?

Righteous Flame

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 02:29:07 PM
Well, I would suggest doing what I'm going to do.

Not a penny will be spent on this game until they restore offline mode.  Yeah, they may have got me for what I already spent (which is sad because I was largely buying the skins to support what I thought was a flawed but well-meaning developer) but this is where I draw the line.

I'm no longer going to grind for Schneider.  I'm probably just going to go back to playing this at a casual rate of my mix of online/training until I've beaten all 3.25-4 (depending on if they ever fix the Xbone version) with all my current characters.  And I'm not spending another penny on this game.

After that, it will probably suffer the same fate as The Pinball Arcade.

If they restore offline, I may reverse this opinion but wanna-be EAs rarely reverse course.

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 05:08:13 PM
I vastly prefer playing with friends on this game. Offline mode does not offer rewards really or anything like that. However, it's no secret that for all the things that I feel are special about the game, Mercurysteam also made alot of mistakes in how they marketed the game and it never really found an audience. I admired the things I liked about it like the character design and variety in the ways you could use each of the characters and I knew that when the game inevitably died an agonising death that I would always have a version of the game that was mine offline, where I could still appreciate it from time to time long after it's online life had ended. I can't do that now apparently, you got me good Mercurysteam. You got me good.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 05:51:04 PM
I don't think it's the most egregious thing, not having an offline mode, I did use it from time to time. The new training mode fulfills the same thing, and I use this just fine, but I can see the idea of having and owning your progress and it not being tied to a company server. To be honest I am more sad about the mandatory PvP.

But I'm trying to enjoy the game, the new campaigns are really great and despite what people would say, they have been incredibly responsive to consumer feedback. Perhaps TOO responsive? Sometimes the mobs demands are a fathomless abyss, and once you give them an inch they demand infinity.