Author Topic: New players' feedback  (Read 2471 times)

Oxnardo

• View Profile
New players' feedback
on: April 27, 2018, 11:08:03 PM
Hello raiders! I just started playing the game recently and i like it quite a bit, specially the art of the game, in general it is masterly done, the design of the characters, environment and props, the illustrations, the script, the music, everything!

Nevertheless the gameplay has a few issues and i wanna post my opinion here as feedback cuz' i'd love to see the game improving and getting a bigger player base, i encourage the reader raiders (yeah!) to add their own opinion and feedback in the discussion.

First of all i would like a more fluid sensation when controlling the characters, guns' controls feel good as they are, but running through the map and getting into melee combat are things that won't get you an amazing experience. Chaining actions for melee fight could be more efficient, and the speed of the characters could be improved; also landing from any height lacks the sensation of characters' weight, getting no real impact, not even sound when you land on the floor.

Also there are times when you are just waiting for enemies to spawn, and there's nothing to do, giving us a reason to explore the maps on the missions could be a good idea.

Regarding the game mode, i would like to get something different than just adventure missions with asymmetric matches (and cutscenes we don't wanna watch repeatedly). The next campaign is the final one, so i guess they must have something in mind to do after that, maybe some game modes with symmetric teams w/ minions or not, i think having both options is cool. I'm playing for free and so far I've only played two missions, with very similar objectives, i hope there are more varied goals within the rest of the missions, and if not... well that's something to think for new game modes XD.

Also i find the tutorial of the game really scrappy, it's very short and it doesn't really get you through everything you should know to start playing the following missions, this extents to the UI which lacks in-depth explanation of all the details you need to know (i myself am still trying to figure out some things XD) and also the missions' objective and target descriptions and signals could be improved to be more helpful and intuitive. But those are minor issues that should be solved in the long term. After all it doesn't really take that much time to understand everything, it just takes an unnecessary amount of effort.

And that's it... i have read some analysis in gaming news and they say the game's been making many positive changes since it came out, so keep it up mercury steam!

Shoggoth_Poot

• Eat it Raw!
    • View Profile
Re: New players' feedback
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:19:58 PM
Also i find the tutorial of the game really scrappy, it's very short and it doesn't really get you through everything you should know to start playing the following missions, this extents to the UI which lacks in-depth explanation of all the details you need to know (i myself am still trying to figure out some things XD) and also the missions' objective and target descriptions and signals could be improved to be more helpful and intuitive. But those are minor issues that should be solved in the long term. After all it doesn't really take that much time to understand everything, it just takes an unnecessary amount of effort.

Yep, that tutorial sucks donkey balls, and there's a greater learning curve than there should be - for sure!

Oxnardo

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:52 AM
Yes, after playing a lot more, beyond the boundaries of a new player (now I can say I'm a regular player ;D), it became more evident that the game needs better tutorial/explanations in general (this includes missions and even characters features... like what the hell is doldren's "silence" thing? Idk) As things are now it's not very welcoming for the newcomers.

Updating my feedback: In the beggining I wasn't pretty sure about liking the game or not, it's been a very different experience compared to other games, but after getting used to its gameplay I started enjoying a lot to a point ROTBP earned a special place in my gamer heart, now I long for buying the campaigns which I will as soon as I get some extra money, fortunately I won't take long cuz they are quite affordable 😁.

I still think some mechanics can be improved, i'd really like to be able to chain actions more fluidly. Also I think a sign of how much health is left in wounded characters is necessary .

Regarding the antagonist system, maybe they should lock it for new players and have them unlock it at higher lvls, so they can prevent the early players to face impossible matches against high lvl players (which is something that certainly drives away new players in any game, plus they are just learning how to play and there's no tutorial to help them xD).

Then antags should get more options to counterplay, i'm just lvl 25, and I can really tell how differently the raiders start to play after they learn, to beat the antags easily.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:36:36 AM by Oxnardo »

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:14:25 PM
Oxnardo i am glad you are finding the game more enjoyable the more you play it. Raiders has taken a special place in my heart too and I have been doing everything I can to raise awareness about it and get new players trying it out to stick around.
 I can answer your question about Doldren's 'silencer' as well. As you know when the Raiders take actions like running, shooting or being shot, their stress bar fills on the bottom of the screen. When it passes a certain level they become visible to thdir enemies and antagonists who will become aware and actively go after them. Usually shooting a gun makes a raider almost instantly stressed and reveals them, but with Doldren he can fire his weapon a number of times before he is revealed to the enemies. The little white silencer bar will fill up the more shots you take in quick succession and only after it crosses a certain line does he become stressed. Its important for Doldren to be stealthy because he only has 60 hp and can get overwhelmed quickly if he is swarmed.