Author Topic: How to Portray Women in Video Games  (Read 5684 times)

tplarkin7

• View Profile
How to Portray Women in Video Games
on: December 08, 2018, 09:53:34 PM
This question is a battle for game developers, because certain people are quick to accuse them of sexism. I believe this pressure has effected the design of women in Spacelords. Valeria's arms belong on a man. It's unfortunate because Valeria reminds me of EDI, but Valeria's body destroys the fantasy.

ArnoldCat

• View Profile
Re: How to Portray Women in Video Games
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 10:10:20 PM
Hey, it's the man who thinks the womans of this game needs to be delicate princess who needs to be saved, the plot needs to change and dont like the alicia strong abdomen.

Lets see what he brings to the table now.... oh... more of the same crap...

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 10:25:31 PM
1. Valeria is literally a 7 foot cyborg that's mostly machine. She's even taller than Konstantin.

2. buff women exist in real life

....and in fiction

3. Just gonna start reporting these extremely sexist bullshit posts. Stop, or leave.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:40:11 PM by LordDraco3 »

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 11:18:35 PM
I find it difficult to jerk-off to Valeria.

I feel sorry for whatever woman you eventually trick/force into sleeping with you.

You have such an ugly personality.

Whitebleidd

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 07:38:54 AM
I can kind of see where you’re coming from, not only the gaming industry but comics and film are all being pressured and called sexist left and right because of female designs, affecting many franchises, but I don’t think raiders/spacelords is one of them, imo it has one of the strongest female casts in gaming that I can recall, every single one of them looks feminine, sexy and badass in their own way. MS also doesn’t shy away from using breast and even butt physics, so saying they are one of the devs that have fallen to media pressure is a stretch, they seem to have a strong artistic integrity.

As for Valeria, because of how she has weaponized her arms and her cyborg nature I think they fit her well, and is attractive, I mean I gotta agree with Lycus here, she does have a great ass…

LiquidAutopsy

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:59:06 AM
I think MS creates the most unique character designs at the time. All their characters have a very dynamic look and animation. I really hope they are not give a shit for the criticism and negative responsions about that, and keep their art style without any modifications in the future. 

LiquidAutopsy

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:13:55 AM
I also use strong body designs for female warrior characters in my history. https://www.deviantart.com/liquidautopsy/art/Valkyrie-sketch-337429174

tplarkin7

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:27:44 PM
ArnoldCat, you know deep down inside that I'm right.

Great work, LiquidAutopsy. I do think there is greatness in MS character design, but it is misguided. If we are truly honest in what we (men) want, it isn't another man. Women are complementary to men. Women become mothers, men become fathers.

LordDraco, you can find women with muscles, but often steroids or other drugs are involved.

Whitebleidd, I agree that the Spacelords women do have feminine characteristics, but they also have masculine characteristics.

The real point of showing EDI vs Valeria was to illustrate a mega millions sold blockbuster (Mass Effect) against the unfortunate state of Spacelords. EDI (and all Mass Effect characters, including Jack) are beautiful, feminine, and humble (yes, even Jack). If the women had these traits, most new players would be willing to get past Level 1 when they are overwhelmed by the heat rays focused on their face and they realize they can't run, but have to walk for cover, and then get sniped from behind.

BlaZeMaN

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 05:44:39 PM
This question is a battle for game developers, because certain people are quick to accuse them of sexism. I believe this pressure has effected the design of women in Spacelords. Valeria's arms belong on a man. It's unfortunate because Valeria reminds me of EDI, but Valeria's body destroys the fantasy.

As a huge fan of Mass Effect's EDI and most of Spacelords's females , this selective/closed-minded argument taxes mine and fellow other Spacelords's patience . Too bad people gave you the spotlight in your first post to now spoon-feed your argument down our throats as you do right now . Just a damn shame .

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 05:50:46 PM
@tplarkin7
Geez, what's the problem with you? You should not snack so much cotton candy while riding the rainbow with your unicorn.

Urgehal

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 02:00:55 AM
TC is clearly not a man of culture SMH...probably takes a #1 sitting down and eats pizza with a fork :P

But yeah, you buggin man. Muscles and some definition on females is hot! and plus all that thicc-ness? This is peak performance...deal with it or bugger off and play other games. Plenty of games with stick figures to choose from mate.

MSE_Hellath

• PR Manager
  • MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:05 AM
Hello,

It goes without saying that the MercurySteam team is fiercely proud of the Spacelords character design. All characters are designed to be strong and visually striking, while maintaining the visual direction we envisioned for the game.

We have discussed character design in many other threads, and this particular one offers only a rather sexist view of the subject instead of a healthy discussion. Thus, we proceed to close it down.