Author Topic: If "Grapple" dont mean: instant death!  (Read 6922 times)

LiquidAutopsy

• View Profile
If "Grapple" dont mean: instant death!
on: December 06, 2018, 07:22:51 PM
Just an idea. What will be happen if the "grapple" action in cqc changed to not kill instantly? When i was a new player, i found it frustrating some times, when an elite grunt is jumped in from my blindspot and kill me.

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Re: If "Grapple" dont mean: instant death!
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 07:31:23 PM
They got you covered, dude. You're gonna love the Raid-ar.

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:01:10 PM
They got you covered, dude. You're gonna love the Raid-ar.
HAHAHA its catching on! *high fives self*

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:55:41 PM
I just hate when you grapple first but because of delays and lantency the elites sometimes beat your grapple with theirs. There's also some elevation issues where if you're grappling from a ledge it will fail and you'll get grabbed instead. This also applies to strikes, and you can end up "failing" even though you're obviously in range.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:15:15 PM
I just hate when you grapple first but because of delays and lantency the elites sometimes beat your grapple with theirs. There's also some elevation issues where if you're grappling from a ledge it will fail and you'll get grabbed instead. This also applies to strikes, and you can end up "failing" even though you're obviously in range.

Agreed. These failed CQC moments are endlessly frustrating

LiquidAutopsy

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:24:09 PM

Also when you grapple the enemy on the edge of the stage, sometimes you fall to death from the animation.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
Protip, always start with a punch against the Elites, unless it's an obvious grapple advantage, multiple punches has the highest probability of defeating an elite.

LiquidAutopsy

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:01:00 PM
Protip, always start with a punch against the Elites, unless it's an obvious grapple advantage, multiple punches has the highest probability of defeating an elite.

Yes, i do the same on elites and in pvp, its not a problem now. But i think it will be gives more detail to the cqc if the grapple not kill the opponent instantly. I know its not to be an easy modification, because there is no "stand up" animation in the game. :)

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:19:12 PM
I get the frustration. I was not a fan at first, but once to meet the system on it's own terms as a rock paper scissors, it's actually quite fair.

I do aggree about positioning and timing being jank sometimes. Starting your grapple before an elite doesn't guarantee that it will execute. Executing a strike near a ledge will more often result in you kicking the wall instead of vaulting. And the Elite's nvulnerability move should have a cool down. Spamming invincibility endlessly is never accepable in any game outside of cheat or trainer modes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:20:30 AM by Placelord »

LiquidAutopsy

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:32:41 PM
Hey. Punch why not kill instantly? That would be the real rock, paper, scissors system. :D

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:54:41 PM
punch is much faster, not really a fair comparison.
That said, a lot of players do go for 1-punch builds because it's bread-and-butter of CQC

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 12:17:08 AM
I think people are on to something with punching. When fighting the urus clone I only punch. The real risk with punching comes from ads. If you aren't being shot at there is little if any drawback.

Eikazuya

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 06:22:15 AM
Because of PvE, grapple insta kill enemies. I don't want to grapple a mob and chain combos. There are tons other mobs. I rarely grappled because of lag. Just spammed QQQQ.
 My favorite move was "Interplanetary Sliding Kick"

LoganMaze

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 06:31:42 AM
Because of PvE, grapple insta kill enemies. I don't want to grapple a mob and chain combos. There are tons other mobs. I rarely grappled because of lag. Just spammed QQQQ.
 My favorite move was "Interplanetary Sliding Kick"
not gonna lie, the interplanetary sliding kick bit gave me a good laugh.

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 06:24:21 PM
Hello guys!

Though there are no plans to change the system in the short term, we are always looking for ways to improve it. As some of you stated, understanding the CQC takes some time and experience, but we also think features like the radar will help newcomers.

Actually, the system used to be tougher and we decided to add effects and sounds to the elites, so you can react when they are about to grapple. But, as I said before, we are always open to new ideas ;)