Author Topic: Radar in spacelords...  (Read 6753 times)

Placelord

• View Profile
Radar in spacelords...
on: November 29, 2018, 02:54:59 AM
I'm editing the original post now that the radar is in the game. Still don't like it. I'm still begging for a compass instead.

The radar is ether distracting or superfluous.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:14:53 PM by Placelord »

ArnoldCat

• View Profile
Re: Radar in spacelords...
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:02:57 AM

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 03:12:02 AM
wait to see how it plays before giving feedback on it lol

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:48:47 AM
I would be inclined to aggree, but... If they're going to go through the trouble of putting it in, they're not going to take it out. If it changes things in a bad way, we're stuck with it.

IMO the lack of minimap and radar is a key feature that goes towards making this game unique. I don't think I would have familiarized myself with the arenas as organically if I was compelled to rely on a HUD element to assess my environment.

Also it gives the player's a whole additional "Sense" (for lack of a better word). It's going to have an impact on the core interaction.

I think the gameplay, as is, is solid. The problems are all quality of life. The stuff that makes new players lose interest. What we need in the next patch is to cut down trolls, timesinks and encourage cooperative play.

Make voice chat default or prompt players to use it.
Make cutscenes skip based on votes.
Make the rewards screens skippable or parred down.
Allow people to surrender without penalty if the half or more disconnect and/or the match has gone on for over 45 mins.
Don't end matches when the antag disconnects.

These are all serious barriers to this game being widely adopted. Most gamers will just quit out the first or second time they lose 15 minutes getting thrashed or doing nothing. This feature just isn't a worthwhile addition when there are real gains to be had.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:23:31 AM by Placelord »

MSE_Ojuel

• MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:16 AM
I would be inclined to aggree, but... If they're going to go through the trouble of putting it in, they're not going to take it out. If it changes things in a bad way, we're stuck with it.

IMO the lack of minimap and radar is a key feature that goes towards making this game unique. I don't think I would have familiarized myself with the arenas as organically if I was compelled to rely on a HUD element to assess my environment.

Also it gives the player's a whole additional "Sense" (for lack of a better word). It's going to have an impact on the core interaction.

I think the gameplay, as is, is solid. The problems are all quality of life. The stuff that makes new players lose interest. What we need in the next patch is to cut down trolls, timesinks and encourage cooperative play.

Make voice chat default or prompt players to use it.
Make cutscenes skip based on votes.
Make the rewards screens skippable or parred down.
Allow people to surrender without penalty if the half or more disconnect and/or the match has gone on for over 45 mins.
Don't end matches when the antag disconnects.

These are all serious barriers to this game being widely adopted. Most gamers will just quit out the first or second time they lose 15 minutes getting thrashed or doing nothing. This feature just isn't a worthwhile addition when there are real gains to be had.

When approaching the development of new content for Spacelords we focus on two big "themes", so to speak.

The first is all about polishing the already existing playable experience, by fixing bugs, improxing players' quality of life.
The second one is all about adding new content or playable options to the game. That includes new missions, characters, weapons or things such as The Radar.

What I get from your original post is you are more concerned about or interested in the first kind of improvements over the second one.

The only thing I'd like to point is none of both are inherently wrong or irrelevant: we feel they are equally important and we at MSE are working in both directions at the same time, since people in the team working on one of those aren't necessarily involved in the other.

So, one day we may be speaking about The Radar (new content, https://spacelordsthegame.com/news/road-to-spaceguilds-1) and the day after we may be speaking about the Cortez family (quality of life improvement, https://spacelordsthegame.com/news/road-to-spaceguilds-3), so there's happiness delivered to all kind of players. :)

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 05:14:53 PM
Cool, looking forward to spaceguilds.

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:36:32 PM
I was wondering if there is any plan to implement a compass? As harek I like to do recon and spot antags for my teammates. It's difficult to communicate locations effectively without a common reference point.

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:53:05 PM
I was wondering if there is any plan to implement a compass? As harek I like to do recon and spot antags for my teammates. It's difficult to communicate locations effectively without a common reference point.
I got a better idea, why don't they add some big arrows pointing directly at the antagonist too.

ArnoldCat

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:12:40 PM
I got a better idea, why don't they add some big arrows pointing directly at the antagonist too.

And a green glowing aura like some random person was suggesting time ago because he doesn't feel that "evil enough" or "threatening" to the raiders.

Jester278

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 06:02:41 AM
Great for the raiders, terrible for the antagonists!

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:08 PM
Super constructive feedback. Guess I'm stuck just telling my teammates " over there by the thingy " when trying to formulate a strategy.

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 07:11:19 PM
Super constructive feedback. Guess I'm stuck just telling my teammates " over there by the thingy " when trying to formulate a strategy.

You literally got a response from the people who make the game. But, I'll give it another go, if you'd like.
-----
Make voice chat default or prompt players to use it. - Fuck that. I have done countless amazing things without voice chat and I was called a faggot, a nigger and a dumbass because of voice chat. Fuck that.

Make cutscenes skip based on votes. - No. I do not want to sit through some voting process every single time a cutscene shows up. Most people are just going to vote to skip them anyway..so..?

Make the rewards screens skippable or parred down. - It is a loading screen. The alternative is something less entertaining.

Allow people to surrender without penalty if the half or more disconnect and/or the match has gone on for over 45 mins. - Surrenders should always penalize. It means you're bad at the game.

Don't end matches when the antag disconnects. - That is fucking dumb. If they run away like a coward then I don't want to be in the match anymore.

And the compass. - Are you..getting lost on any of the missions? You shouldn't be getting lost on any of the missions.
-----
There you go, chief.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:13:28 PM by PohtHehd »

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Pohthehd what's your beef man? You are just so dead set on this 'sit down and shut up' campaign it's impossible to have any constructive conversation.

I don't see how adding a compass is so offensive. If I'm on voice chat with people and I need to give them spacial direction or a warning there is no mechanism by which I can communicate locations. Get over yourself dude.

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 11:21:46 PM
Pohthehd what's your beef man? You are just so dead set on this 'sit down and shut up' campaign it's impossible to have any constructive conversation.

I don't see how adding a compass is so offensive. If I'm on voice chat with people and I need to give them spacial direction or a warning there is no mechanism by which I can communicate locations. Get over yourself dude.

Please. You asked for feedback, you got it. You even got some from the developers.

And you posted the same exact post in other threads. That, to me, is a weakness I will strike at. You clearly wanted to get attention for your ideas and you did. Then you snobbishly derided that attention asking for more. That is my beef.

And like Uras-Beherit, if you call out to the darkness I too will come descend upon you.

The Raid-ar is implemented now. And there are already people asking for ways to turn it off. If you had a compass that pointed to the Antagonist, even if it only did so after someone has seen them, it would give a huge advantage against the already greatly disadvantaged Antagonist.

That is what is so offensive about it. You want the game to be easier. I don't want it to be easier. I want better organic challenge. You want a marker that literally points to the bad guy.

And I have used PSN chats numerous times and have never had someone become baffled as to the direction I am intending. Any one Raider can see the location of the other Raiders, it isn't exactly rocket science to figure out where they are or where they are going. The levels are not that big.

Finally, if you'd like me to "get over myself" then perhaps you should elaborate more on exactly what it is I am needing to "get over". These are my opinions and as such I do not owe you anything in regards towards keeping silent about them.

Good day, sir.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:28:20 PM by PohtHehd »

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 12:33:19 AM
I'm seconding Poh here... You got a response directly about how updates and new features work, from a dev, and then gave a reply that sounded extremely sarcastic. At least that's how I read the post quoted by Poh.

If spawn rates get doubled with antag presence, I'll be cool with a big giant arrow pointing to the antag. Even though 0x2 is still zero... I can't tell how many of these posts are joking or serious, but it's a pretty awful idea.