Author Topic: The elephant in the room Konstantin the Antaginist  (Read 7986 times)

tribas

• View Profile
The elephant in the room Konstantin the Antaginist
on: August 06, 2017, 11:26:08 PM
More and more people are realizing how broken Konstantin is currently so you probably see them a lot wiping your team as the Antagonist.
Let's get down to the 2 things that makes him so overpowered.

1- His gun: I know he is supposed to be the heavy guy, super slow but you got to tune it down a little. His gun can kill anyone in 1 sec at a close / mid range so anyone that knows this abuses it, how you ask? Simply stay in enough range, so that melee doesn't reach you and spin your gun before you encounter them next corner and watch them melt before they come even close to you... you don't even need to use melee to finish them (which is supposed to be a big factor in this game) just shoot 1 more second and they are dead.

2.His special ability: This thing is not only a free out of jail card in case you messed up  your combo or you get ambushed from behind ... nope ... it also throw enemies in the air and creates space enough and time so you can spin your gun in their face and melt them(coming back to point 1. his OP gun).By the way, you can also use his ability when someone is close to a corner and watch them float the whole duration before you decide it's time to kill them while they wobble around in the corner floating helplessly.

I'd like some input/opinions on people that have played the game a lot.
Always keep in mind the goal here is not to nerf him into oblivion, just make him more in line with the other characters , making the game balance better and with more choices (so we don't have to mostly/only see Konstantin Antagonists in the near future)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:40:19 AM by tribas »

Ebisu_rkz

• View Profile
Re: The elephant in the room Konstantin the Antaginist
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:47:05 AM
Konstantin counter is Harec. That is why I always try to keep Harec and Konstantin in my team whatever map I go but the third one (The second from Alien), Snipers dont do that well here IMO.

You can play against him, and he isn't the antagonist against who I had more problems, he is the one that is the easiest to do a decent-good job. His slowliness is his biggest weakness and why I dont put him as the hardest antagonist. Even if I lost against a lot of Konstantin's antagonists.

He has an incredible dmg and good defense abilities, so maybe he needs a nerf, but if he recieve a nerf too big I think he will be useless. There are characters that have a damage close to Konstantin, so you can't put him behind that ones.

Maybe same damage mid range but less dmg on close range. That would keep him playing in mid-large range as he is designed (I think?) but he wouldn't be that lethal in close range. Where Lycus and Alicia should be the best IMO.

BTW, I hate playing as konstantin and Harec :(

Edit: I don't put Konstantin as the hardest one because his slowliness dont let him play as aggressive as others chars. I save the first spot for antagonists with high mobility chars that play really aggressive and know how to play well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:03:38 AM by Ebisu_rkz »

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:11:46 AM
Konstantin really isn't that bad if you and teammates notice him. The second everyone sees him and the chars with range focus fire him he's done. He can't move fast so you can always run away. A good Harec can just destroy Kon. He can't really come after you for Aleph unless you're real close either. Overall Kon's about the same as the others as far as Antagonists go.

Although as a Raider he is a defensive BEAST. I hate fighting him when I'm Antagonist and they use a super defensive playstyle.

tribas

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:32:15 AM
The second everyone sees him and the chars with range focus fire him he's done.

That goes for every single character, if he is focused down, they will go down unless the raiders are pretty bad, this is about balance and Konstantin having an easier time/edge because of his Range/insane DPS and broken ability (the builds you can do with the cards make him even worse).
The trade off being slow is not punishment enough to tip the balance. Remember, I don't want him to be nerfed to the ground just want him to be in line with the rest (I play him a lot but I feel dirty sometimes I'll admit it).

This problem will only get worse with time and could impact the player base  (you mostly see Konstantin as Antagonist) but it's beta and time to make balance changes ,not when the game goes live .You only get 1 chance at first impressions with most gamers.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:38:54 AM by tribas »

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:35:18 PM
The second everyone sees him and the chars with range focus fire him he's done.

That goes for every single character, if he is focused down, they will go down unless the raiders are pretty bad, this is about balance and Konstantin having an easier time/edge because of his Range/insane DPS and broken ability (the builds you can do with the cards make him even worse).
The trade off being slow is not punishment enough to tip the balance. Remember, I don't want him to be nerfed to the ground just want him to be in line with the rest (I play him a lot but I feel dirty sometimes I'll admit it).

This problem will only get worse with time and could impact the player base  (you mostly see Konstantin as Antagonist) but it's beta and time to make balance changes ,not when the game goes live .You only get 1 chance at first impressions with most gamers.

Well on the other hand it is still in Beta and there's alot of content they haven't released yet. If we get any sort of weapon or ability to pierce shields that greatly offset that faction's tankiness. 

I dunno I just don't see him as that much of a problem at the moment but that's just me. I can understand other players having a tough time. When I've fought him 1v1 as Antagonist it usually comes down to me either wearing him out from behind cover, or just running away since he can't chase me.

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 11:14:52 PM
Ok did a 180 after a few matches and am seeing the issue now, especially when fighting a good Kon and I'm Antagonist.

I think the main issue I notice now is low damage drop off at range. So full damage across the map is crazy strong. I compare it to the TF2's Heavy where the drop-off wasn't strong enough early on so Heavies were murdering players across the map.

I went to test a few things. The damage drop-off seems to be from across the map. A wide spread at distance is usually a weakness for a heavy mini-gun char, again ala The Heavy, but the spread gets smaller as you fire more and at the smallest spread I'm still landing 6-7 shots over 3 seconds across the map. That is against a stationary target though.  But it's still possible to take a good chunk of damage from far too far away and have to stop to recover.

tribas

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 02:20:32 AM
Ok did a 180 after a few matches and am seeing the issue now, especially when fighting a good Kon and I'm Antagonist.

I think the main issue I notice now is low damage drop off at range. So full damage across the map is crazy strong. I compare it to the TF2's Heavy where the drop-off wasn't strong enough early on so Heavies were murdering players across the map.

I went to test a few things. The damage drop-off seems to be from across the map. A wide spread at distance is usually a weakness for a heavy mini-gun char, again ala The Heavy, but the spread gets smaller as you fire more and at the smallest spread I'm still landing 6-7 shots over 3 seconds across the map. That is against a stationary target though.  But it's still possible to take a good chunk of damage from far too far away and have to stop to recover.
Play him a couple of hours , you will see why he is so OP( buy the card that lets you drop a shield when he is on the floor )... welcome to the dark side or the god of the beta as some people call him.

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 05:55:13 AM
Yeah basically you need a Kon on your team  or a good Harec just in case you fight a good Kon antagonist and your teammates aren't up to killing him.

tribas

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:08:08 AM
Yeah basically you need a Kon on your team  or a good Harec just in case you fight a good Kon antagonist and your teammates aren't up to killing him.
How was it? i saw you skillfully left clicking my team to death in seconds lol... how dirty did you feel when you were about to die and you knew that you didn't deserve killing the enemy but you just drop the bubble and left click him in a sec or when you are sniping with a minigun across the map killing people in 2 secs lol.

I have a blast playing him but at the same time i hope the other team (specially if they are new to the game ) don't get too frustrated.

At least now that you have a good grasp of how ahead he is of the other characters we can give better feedback to bring him more in line with the rest

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 03:11:37 AM

I still don't think he's THAT far ahead. He needs a nerf but is by no means overpowered. My feedback is still about the same. He is not a "Beta God" by any means as Antagonist. I know the "Champion" uses Kon and I've fought him before, but we never lost to them. As a Raider yes he is extremely strong. Fighting against him when I'm the Antagonist is the only time he can frustrate me.

I've done better with Hans and Alicia. Your team covered each other and killed me plenty of times. I threw up the bubble often when I was wounded, but your Harec was sniping me constantly and your team knew to shoot the bubble away instantly. A good Harec just destroys Kon. My Aleph also constantly showed as I need to rev up my gun or get jumped on and killed. I could try to sneak but he's way too slow. You move 3 inches out of cover and your Aleph maxes out so the enemy almost always know where you are.

I didn't feel dirty at all. I got the drop on the team a few times and got some quick deaths, but that was at close range and that's supposed to happen. Same thing happens in TF2 with the Heavy if you let him get close. He was a pain to play as personally. Way too slow for me. Multiple times I could wound someone but they could just hide behind cover and recover as teammates pinned me down. I prefer Hans or Alicia and wounding someone, zipping in for the Aleph, and zipping out.

I can still see he's a bit too strong since he can get someone from Wounded to Death very quick, but if that doesn't happen they're coming back. If the Raiders run out of Aleph and there aren't a ton of grunts running around, they're usually winning that wait period. They can outrun Kon every time and get back to doing the mission.

Overall I see him as an extremely strong Raider, but an average Antagonist. Only Kon I've fought in the past was The Champ and no problems were had.

tribas

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 03:40:23 AM
I see you are sticking by your argument.
In the end it's something that anyone that has played the game for more than 5 hours can easily tell and if the game does blance it good if it doesn't well it happens .
I will for sure be giving it a try again and recommend it to my friends after they add more maps/wep/characters and do some balance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:42:59 AM by tribas »

MSE_TENKA

• CMC
  • MercurySteam
    • View Profile
    • Mercury Steam
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 05:33:46 PM
Thanks guys! This debate is very interesting and helpful for us. Rest assured we are looking into it very closely. We are also paying attention to the most popular metagame, and hoy to COUNTER them.

Ebisu_rkz

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 04:03:58 PM
I think that the biggest problem of kons is with Ogon (Was it named like this?). That weapon has a really big dmg, and you can make tricks to preload the weapon if you play smart.

The hornet IMO needs some changes with his ability. The rebounds are too impredictible.

Victorray

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 08:14:55 PM
I actually never see Konstantine as the antagonist. His gun and ability are really strong, but his mobility is the worst of all the characters. As someone who plays Alicia a lot, I've never had problems against some. He can't secure kills like some of the other characters can due to him being so slow. He can down you and if he tries to run to you, the rest of the team can mow him down.

Janegotagun

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 12:54:24 AM
I made a Kon Antag rage quit with Shae.. not to derail the thread or anything. This was on Hanging. I must have killed him 13 times.