Author Topic: Should there be more to the tutorial?  (Read 2288 times)

Rhynerd

• Raider as of 6/10, if that means anything.
    • View Profile
Should there be more to the tutorial?
on: August 01, 2017, 09:28:34 AM
Here's what I remember of the tutorial after running it during the second to last weekend or so:
  • Learning to run
  • Learning to jump
  • Learning about melee combat by fighting a grunt in close combat
  • Learning about stalking
  • Learning about being stealthy by having to kill two different grunts in the same room
  • A cutscene where Harec kills a whole elevator of Hades Division troopers before finding out that Lycus has been taken away already.
From personal experience, it took me at least a day to learn the exact workings of the melee combat triangle, despite doing this tutorial first. I've also noticed quite a few others having the same experience.
Sure, there seems to be other places to look up the triangle, such as here on the forums, but they're easy to overlook.

So, I'd like to propose at least one additional segment to the tutorial: Have a moment where you have to combat an elite soldier, maybe the charging kind. Make it so players trying to learn through the tutorial have to counter a grapple with a strike. Maybe the devs could even toss in a moment where the player has to use their acquired aleph charge on something to progress.

As hinted before, this is running off a shoddy memory, so I may have forgotten about fighting an elite in the tutorial or something. Criticize this post as much as you please, and feel free to add any other thoughts you have related to it.

Ebisu_rkz

• View Profile
Re: Should there be more to the tutorial?
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:53:34 PM
  • Learning about melee combat by fighting a grunt in close combat

+1000 to that one.

The melee system was one of the reason I almost left the game at the start, it is so different from any other game and so easy to die by that.

I tried the game thinking it was a shooter, but the melee system makes the game really different from any other shooter, now I really enjoy the game. But an easier introduction to the melee system would be nice for new players.

IMO, the tutorial doesn't focus on the melee system enough at all. It only look like an extra way of killing enemies, when in reality it is the core of this game.

BTW, the way the tutorial end, it looks like it could continue after taking the lift, the first part of the tutorial is really basic simple mechanics.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:57:52 PM by Ebisu_rkz »

kewlbot

• View Profile
Re: Should there be more to the tutorial?
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:42 AM
The tutorial is very simplistic. I think the game could totally benefit from a better tutorial, because honestly it took me hours to finally figure out that this game is more melee and stealth based. If they lock other abilities besides melee attacks and put the player into some CQC situations first and then explain shooting and other abilities, I think that can help the player understand more how the game works.