Author Topic: The Elephant in the Room: AFK Players  (Read 19719 times)

Janegotagun

• View Profile
The Elephant in the Room: AFK Players
on: July 17, 2017, 05:39:37 PM
@TehMud and I were talking to Syrneth(sp?) in discord last night and he said there is an AFK system in place and a player should be booted after a time. He said any player that is AFK over a few maps is still there all they have to do is move the camera.

My question is; Why do they AFK at all?

Are they stuck in a loading loop? Having connection difficulties?

Syrneth assured us something is being done about AFK players in a game. I for one am happy about this. Every time I get in a match with a AFK player I feel like its a huge waste of time for me and the rest of my team.

@Sayoos(sp?) and I were talking about vote to kick, and having another player joining a match in progress. Syrneth said this would be exploitable, however I think it would be a welcome addition.

I know I would join a match in progress rather than sit in the queue waiting for a game to pop.

TehMud

• View Profile
Re: The Elephant in the Room: AFK Players
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:20 PM
The "Vote to Kick" option does have issues as it can be exploited in the long run. Not so much right now in Beta, but once the game is released and there's enough players people will just vote either to troll or because they "just don't like someone",

What I would like is for the AFK solution to be fixed so that they have to actually play the game in order to not get kicked. While I like a vote, I learned from other games it can be easily exploited by jerks.

IceRevolver

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:48:34 AM
A solution is much needed though. What if a person wasnt mobile for a specific amount of time and then the game brought up the option to kick this person? That way it's not on a player to initiate. But concern though is that I've seen players leave the game and no one replaces them. Can players join mid game?

alpharougewarx

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 05:13:34 PM
eithe a vote to kick or a idle timeout sort of thing

PersonMcHuman

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:07 PM
I would absolutely love a Vote To Kick option. Been trying to get Mikah's gun for the past few hours...but that's impossible to do when almost every time I get into the mission, one player in particular (who keeps also doing the same mission), immediately votes to surrender, then when their vote fails, begins throwing themselves off the map in order to reduce our lives. Even when we get past that, they allow themselves to be electrocuted, then chase around the other players, spreading the damage until we're all dead, then kills themself. An option to kick them would have been very appreciated there.

Copperbadge

• I'm here for the co-op. (Avatar ©2017 Mafer)
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 10:13:03 PM
I found the afk timer to be very aggressive and quick imho.
It might just need some polish so a stuck camera rotation doesn't stop the afk timer from doing its work.
Votekick systems are indeed exploitable...I feel mixed about it.

PersonMcHuman

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 10:20:27 PM
I think I'd almost prefer a possibly exploitable Votekick system to the current system of nothing, considering that since my last post, the same thing (by the same player) has happened three more times. They join, vote to surrender, and when we all vote to continue, they just waste our lives to force it to end. At the very least, something that gives you the option to kick someone that's, I dunno...killed themselves several times in a row, or kick someone that's died multiple times without getting any kills or doing damage.

Polybius

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:39:06 PM
Today found this guy, 2 times in the same day, killing himselft until there is no more lives, i contact him and him replay : Just want to fight against the antagonist and dev dont listen... i mean, if the guy is killing himselft over and over, the game should be able to kick that person and if he is afk do the same.  (sorry about my bad english)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:40:40 PM by Polybius »

alef321

• Fun is the priority
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 07:40:24 AM
in my case I only afk when the ping is 999+
If I try to move i start getting warped around and eventually fall to death ,so its safer to just stand still and wait the bad host leave or offer surrender.