Author Topic: Host choice  (Read 4133 times)

DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile
Host choice
on: July 16, 2017, 02:04:25 AM
The game probably has no check yet but I'll still say it. The host choice is kinda bad right now. I've only been hosts after hosts migrations, but never did any peopel leave or vote for a surrender under my hosting.

Yet, it happens that the chosen host in my games have a tarribly laggy connection (or a bad CPU in some cases I guess, since the CPU is a determining factor for player-as-server multiplayer) which makes the game unplayable ! So why is this guy chosen if my connection and CPU is apparently at least somehwat better ? There should be a ping between all hosts, picking the one with the lowest total ping but also a packet test, to see if any of them can't handle the packets processed. And if a host gets laggy midgame there should be a host migration too ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:54:22 AM by DevilBlackDeath »

DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile
Re: Host choice
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 02:56:51 AM
So nevermind, just happened to me twice to be the host ! And yet again no problem of people leaving or forfeiting or having trouble landing melee and stuff ;) So beats me even more why I'm not picked over bad connections =/

WYRDBOY

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:00:19 PM
Had this happen to me before, rubberbanding and slowmo-ing because of a bad host is the worst experience ever. They absolutely need to do something about this. Even having an opt-out option for hosting would be nice as well.

DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:19 PM
Yeah maybe even a vote next to surrender, "Migrate host" that kicks noone, but just switches the host ! That would be amazing ;)

Although do they plan to stay on a player-as-server model ? Maybe they use it only because they don't get any money out of the beta, and will switch to a classic dedicated server model at release ? Didn't see any information about this

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:50:04 AM
Yeah for me I've been chosen as Host a few times, but I know my connection isn't great and am unsure if it can handle it. I basically just hope we complete the mission as I've got no real feedback on how my teammates are connecting,

I'd really like a quick pop-up tab showing everyone's stats and ping, especially ping so I know what's going on.

MSE_TENKA

• CMC
  • MercurySteam
    • View Profile
    • Mercury Steam
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:02:00 PM
We have developed a new protocol but it is not on the beta yet. The vote system is a cool idea but there are some technical issues that we have to solve it before ;-)

Victorray

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:10:08 PM
It almost feels like they pick the worst player to host. Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my gigabit connection and I never get picked. Seems like sound logic to me :D

DevilBlackDeath

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:07:14 PM
Good to know you're working on a new protocol ;) Any chance we see it in action in the next beta?

Also does that protocol includes testing all hosts to see which one is the best?