Author Topic: Training Mode  (Read 4934 times)

Gentlemannequin

• I may be wrong, but I doubt it.
    • View Profile
Training Mode
on: June 24, 2017, 09:26:49 PM
It'd be neat to have a training area with dummy targets to get a feel for the characters. Trying out a new character in a live simulation, with just a text description of their weapon and skill, you really don't have much time to figure out what you're doing. I was trying to figure out how to use Alicia's wall jump for example. Sometimes she'd jump, but the height varied, and other times she'd cling to the wall. Just something so that new players don't have to get into matchmaking, find a game, probably die repeatedly, probably lose, repeat, just to learn the character.

stridedxeno

• View Profile
Re: Training Mode
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:12:22 PM
switch to solo mode.

Zopheyron

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:01 AM
yeah. I think this is one of most important things that this game need. maybe with a short tutorial that teach people how to obtain and use aleph too. is frustrating to do missions "alone" with lvl 1 harec's (90% disconnected) and low/middle level people that don't know how use aleph..

MSE_Ojuel

• MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:02 PM
We'll be adding some short character tutorial videos in  upcoming updates, so that new players can get a first glimpse of each Raider's role + special ability + basic weapon.

I hope that helps. :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:11:42 PM by MSE_Ojuel »

Deh_Toni

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:27:15 PM
It would be nice if we had a test mode, you know, everything character, weapon and card unlocked, for testing purposes, check a card combo or if the weapon or character is good or fits your playstyle.

LoganMaze

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:35:23 PM
We'll be adding some short character tutorial videos in  upcoming updates, so that new players can get a first glimpse of each Raider's role + special ability + basic weapon.

that sounds great! there is never enough tutorials, specially for a challenging game like this one.

LoganMaze

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:35:56 PM
btw, i just realized this post is from last year.

Zopheyron

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 12:54:29 PM

yeah, it help mostly for veterans I think. but a new player want just to play the game and try how it work with their hands.
I know that is not a simple thing to do, but I hope it for the future.
but for sure the new Cortez’s brothers mode will help a lot for disconnections.

MSE_Ojuel

• MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 03:54:21 PM

yeah, it help mostly for veterans I think. but a new player want just to play the game and try how it work with their hands.
I know that is not a simple thing to do, but I hope it for the future.
but for sure the new Cortez’s brothers mode will help a lot for disconnections.

Actually, these videos are aimed towards newcoming players, they serve as an extremely short and simplified explanation of each of the characters.

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 05:25:51 PM
That's certainly something good. But I'd much rather have a practice range. Just thelling me about the mechanics isn't really the best way to get a feel for things. Especially when most weapons and abilities have unique nuances.

With as expensive as in game purchases are, it'd be nice to get a handle on them before being tossed into the fire.

PohtHehd

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 01:31:58 AM
That's certainly something good. But I'd much rather have a practice range. Just thelling me about the mechanics isn't really the best way to get a feel for things. Especially when most weapons and abilities have unique nuances.

With as expensive as in game purchases are, it'd be nice to get a handle on them before being tossed into the fire.

Yeah, I know when I start a new game the first thing I do is think "Man, fuck the core content! Lemme at that practice range!"

I'm kidding. I don't think that. I think "Let us get this show on the goddamn road!" and jump in blind.

Hmm..if only the game were set up so that people are forced into learning the basics from the start in a practical manner so as to be applicable to the rest of their time in the game..hmm

Some kind of system..where your first match is live with other players and the threat of an Antagonist..hmm

Well, I don't know where we will find that.

And just so everyone knows..there is already a training mode, copious amounts of videos online detailing weapons, Raiders, etc. and if you are not sure what a weapon does then just make it and find out, unless you are planning on never making some weapons for some unknown reason.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:41:56 AM by PohtHehd »

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 11:47:04 PM
 Bump ++ yes that would be awesome. I would love to formulate tactics, familiarize myself with hitboxes and animation timing. I think this game has a huge potential for speed strats and a legit trainer mode would help facilitate r&d.

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 09:01:55 PM
I'm completely with this post, I recommended something like this in the past.
https://www.spacelordsthegame.com/community/index.php?topic=2551.msg13201#msg13201

I think more practical hands on approach would be best.

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 10:14:07 PM
When mechanics are nuanced andthe only way to learn is getting swarmed, players are more likely to assume the system is broken than to realise that they just don't get it. And the benefits for r&d are too good to pass up. Look at the speed running community. Do you think smash would be as active as it is if smart players weren't given the option to study hit boxes, I frames and animation length outside of competitive combat?

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 06:07:33 PM
Hi guys!

As you know, we are focused on the new characters and the Spacelords' roadmap, but we don't rule out the possibility to include it in the future.