Author Topic: Shotgun characters forced to play against long distances?  (Read 4452 times)

xxSHEPERDxx

• View Profile
Seems inherently broken. Terrible damage, obviously, from shotguns at any medium+ range, so having to play as either shotty character in these missions is terrible, especially if you are attempting to solo.

Definitely reminds me of Battleborne's balancing issues with several of its characters who are designed almost purely for PVP and get destroyed in PVE.

Feels like they need to switch to slug rounds instead of pellets at least, or just switch to heavy revolvers so they have some kind of ranged competency. Atlternatively, they could be tweaked so that they can charge up the shot to tighten the spread and increase distance. With a single weapon only system, it's bound to break.

The ammunition bottleneck is also pretty bad. When going solo it takes way too long to restock on ammo, and when in co-op, you're forced to have to kill a target in melee to get ammo back. This needs to be reworked.

Ebisu_rkz

• View Profile
Re: Shotgun characters forced to play against long distances?
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:18:55 PM
I agree in some things, I understand that the devs want to force you to use the melee system and wanting to go out there to search ammo.

My observations:
- Ammo magazine is shorter than other shooters.
- Total ammo shorther than other shooters, but only with konstantin or the snipers I have been left without ammo.
- Melee system is very strong, you already use it to kill beacuse it's better that way.

About the balance of the weapons, I feel like they need to increase the distance of the close combat weapons, melee can outperform that weapons really easy.

The only weapons that I felt comfortable using was konstanin, the two snipers and Hans, although the last one his weapon was a little weird, some times a lot of damage sometimes looked like nothing at all.

Zumbledum

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 08:09:38 AM
its funny we have had 2 balance passes on guns over the last 2 weekends (according to the emails im getting) but harec still does 800 damage a shot and lycus still does as little as 7 out of hand to hand range.

RELLIK

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:50:45 AM
Mostly played Alicia. Getting the gold for a VIC-128 blueprint and another loadout wasnt TOO difficult. The first missions objective being easily achievable with close range yet the second mission the complete opposite in both phases. Having the second loadout/alternative weapon thats ranged/slug based certainly helped for that second mission but I have to agree, dealing with long range as a shotgunner seems unfair, the close range damage isnt there to compensate for being nearly useless in certain situations.

Dracain

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:58:30 AM
I agree concerning the shotguns.  I don't have too much time with Alicia, but I play Lycus a lot.  I feel that the damage falloff is just a bit too extreme, making the shotgun only really useful in melee range, which at that point your likely to already be swinging.   

I've really been enjoying everything else, but I feel the shotguns just don't feel very useful in most situations, as the game has a strong melee focus.  This also makes missions where you need to destroy things, particularly "In Shock" very difficult, making the character feel less useful. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:02:50 AM by Dracain »

Rhynerd

• Raider as of 6/10, if that means anything.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
It seems like the only effective uses for a shotgun are softening an enemy up for a punch (so they'll have fewer chances to dodge), grinding down beholder tentacles, or doing some amount of damage against an enemy immune to melee.
I should probably see if an elite's charge can be stopped by the default shotguns, but I have my doubts about that,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:06:23 PM by Rhynerd »

TehMud

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:17:33 PM
It seems like the only effective uses for a shotgun are softening an enemy up for a punch (so they'll won't have as many chances to dodge), grinding down beholder tentacles, or doing some amount of damage against an enemy immune to melee.
I should probably see if an elite's charge can be stopped by the default shotguns, but I have my doubts about that,

Well I know in the new mission the big brute elites can be stopped by Lycus's guns anyway

Paper Dragon

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 09:21:09 PM
Soloing the second mission as Harec is hilariously easy compared to Lycus or Alicia. Especially when you have the ability to collect ammo by passing through enemies with his special ability.

I imagine, however, that there will be missions where the opposite is true when the game is released.