Author Topic: "Active" Aleph card ability?  (Read 2762 times)

SomeGuy

• View Profile
"Active" Aleph card ability?
on: October 30, 2018, 09:19:38 PM
Simply, a button that burns a charge of Aleph you've acquired to activate your chosen loadout cards at 5-stack level for a short amount of time.

Having a full 5-stack is rare enough from what I've seen.  Between having to earn it from elites, having to acquire it before fellow players do, glowing like an x-mas tree to enemies, and then having to dump it into objectives anyway, seeing a full five stack for more than a minute or two is an outlier scenario from my experience.  I understand it's supposed to be rare, and you become a massive target the more you have, but even single stacks trade hands (or is lost) too much to really feel significant other than "the objective resource."  The powers we're supposed to get from it are incredibly short lived, if ever seen during any match.  The elite troops get to burn it, too- why don't the players?  I understand the core "powers" that player characters get, but those things feel inherent to them, and not really like a "power."

Adding the capacity to burn a charge for your boosts would enable players and antagonists to use the buffs much more often, while adding a resource balance necessity to the game.  Do you burn the charge defending a guy dumping his 4-stack into the objective?  Do you dump yours into a different node instead, making things go faster?  Will the antag bust out some 200% boost to strike damage, only to get stopped cold by a teammate that burned aleph to give himself stupid health regen for a few seconds?

The problems I can forsee with this is players (the antag especially) burning charges intentionally to make the objectives harder to accomplish. The only thing I can think of to alleviate this is to add cooldowns to "aleph burning," which would have to be fairly significant to avoid intentional overuse.

Thoughts?

khadecy

• View Profile
Re: "Active" Aleph card ability?
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:05:51 PM
great idea! would be cool if we get some kind screen effect for the duration of burning aleph, like increased brightness with increased color sensitivity to Red/orange or something and you can see your own aleph signature on ur body but with low transparency so u can still see ur physical body OR the green marks/residue on the bodies of antagonists, those same marks but with the color of aleph so that it can be seen by others as well whether you're burning aleph or not.  as of right now aleph is more of an 'objective key' rather than power. this would intensify combat so much more and create more ways to approach situations, MUCH more satisfying ways.

flowone

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 05:58:07 PM
The more read it, the more I like it. Now the Antagonist burning their aleph on purpose to remove Aleph stacks from play to delay Raiders, I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. That's what the Antagonist supposed to do. It would help them on certain maps where Raiders need Aleph to continue and there's not a Dead Drop for an Antagonist to suicide to prevent them from killing them and taking the Stacks back and/or no real interactions the Antagonist can do with Objectives to counter what the Raiders are doing.

SomeGuy

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:58:30 AM
The more read it, the more I like it. Now the Antagonist burning their aleph on purpose to remove Aleph stacks from play to delay Raiders, I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. That's what the Antagonist supposed to do. It would help them on certain maps where Raiders need Aleph to continue and there's not a Dead Drop for an Antagonist to suicide to prevent them from killing them and taking the Stacks back and/or no real interactions the Antagonist can do with Objectives to counter what the Raiders are doing.

That's one of the things that makes it work, too.  The antagonist themselves hands out an Aleph stack when killed, and themselves gain an Aleph stack on killing raiders.  That means there will always be an Aleph stack available to acquire somewhere, for both sides, fueling the powers as well.