Author Topic: Constructive feedback MMR  (Read 3767 times)

Archérus

• View Profile
Constructive feedback MMR
on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:12 PM
Hello everyone, :D It’s me again Archérus, the new player!
Today I am sharing with you my BIG observation and thoughts about the MMR.

First and foremost I don’t think the matchmaking works properly , I am above 40% and below 45% (we are level 70) , and I play a lot with a friend with the same MMR, and for most games the average MMR of the team is between 28 and 38%, that means that our teammate must have a far lower MMR than us ,and their skill level proves it, it’s very frustrating when we lose because of that ,or because the antagonist is rank 1 purple with a fully upgraded weapon.

Talking about losing , when we lose and earn a very low score at the end of the mission , we lose 3 to 4 % of MMR , and to regain only 1% of MMR we must win a big succession of mission with a high score at the end of every mission it feels like 7 very good games for 1 step forward and 1 bad game for 4 steps back. I don’t feel like I deserve this big loss in my MMR ranking when I play with a very low MMR player who shouldn’t be in a game with an MMR that high or against a high-level Antagonist. Its not fair in my opinion.

And for the antagonist, it’s frequent that the gap between the antagonist’s MMR and mission MMR is huge, like 20% to 30% of difference. And a high MMR for a mission does not counterbalance the low MMR of the antagonist the opposite is also true. It’s almost impossible or too easy, and rarely fair or challenging.

I think that it would be really helpful if we could see precise  informations (health and damage % of the mobs and boss , AI level of intelligence, etc. ) about the impact of the MMR on the mission moreover the MMR doesn’t seem consistent, sometimes a 35% MMR mission is far harder than a 42% MMR one.

At the moment, I’m guessing that a higher MMR is supposed to increase your score at the end of the mission, but once again, it’s highly inconsistent, a 42% MMR does not always feel more impacting than a 30% MMR. Besides, I have the same cap of maximum earnable currency than a 18% MMR player or a 57% MMR player.

My propositions to improve the overall experience are the following:

-Replace this MMR percentage system for a level system of MMR, it would be on a scale from 1 to 10 and each level has its own difficulty and own rewards (the closer the level is to 10 the harder is the mission, and the higher is the currency rewards cap), and they are clearly shown on the character choosing screen before the mission.

-Make the matchmaking consistent or at least more transparent and explicit, I know sometime It’s hard to find a game because of the lack of players.

-Make the difficulty clear and transparent before a mission (health and damage % of the mobs and boss, AI level of intelligence, etc.) and make it have a real tangible impact on our rewards.

-Make the loss and gain of MMR level clear, consistent and indulgent, like “You need to win X game with a score superior than Y to go to the next MMR level” and “If you lose X game with a score inferior than Y you drop of a level”. This level system must be indulgent , if I lose with a team with a far lower MMR than me (and the difficulty is too high for them ), or against an Antagonist with a far higher MMR than me, having a big drop in my MMR level doesn’t feel fair,  and since the game is a 4v1 co-op, it would feel to one-sided if one player could carry the entire team because they got paired with players who have way less experience, both sides would be left dissatisfied.

-Make us possible to leave a game and find another one, sometime the difficulty is very high  and our teammates are beginner and don’t want to capitulate while we are in the mission for 15 min but we still haven’t even started the first  objective, for example on the mission “low blow”, yesterday, in 12 min the Aleph overload of the objective was totally empty, because 4 engineers were spawning at the same time and I was the only one who was trying to kill them. I ended up closing my game. And this situation happens to me almost everyday (I play 6h per day).I have another personal example which is very demonstrative… : https://imgur.com/a/WaTasMN

And that is all I have to suggest, in my opinion it’s not impossible to do, I trust the development team to take the best choice possible for the game we all love: SPACELORDS <3

Thanks to you if you have read my whole post, let me know what you guys think, have a nice day! And see you on the broken planet ;).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:11:48 PM by Archérus »

lightoflife3

• View Profile
Re: MMR
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:54:16 PM
Hello everyone, :D It’s me again Archérus, the new player!
Today I am sharing with you my BIG observation and thoughts about the MMR.

First and foremost I don’t think the matchmaking works properly , I am above 40% and below 45% (we are level 70) , and I play a lot with a friend with the same MMR, and for most games the average MMR of the team is between 28 and 38%, that means that our teammate must have a far lower MMR than us ,and their skill level proves it, it’s very frustrating when we lose because of that ,or because the antagonist is rank 1 purple with a fully upgraded weapon.

Talking about losing , when we lose and earn a very low score at the end of the mission , we lose 3 to 4 % of MMR , and to regain only 1% of MMR we must win a big succession of mission with a high score at the end of every mission it feels like 7 very good games for 1 step forward and 1 bad game for 4 steps back. I don’t feel like I deserve this big loss in my MMR ranking when I play with a very low MMR player who shouldn’t be in a game with an MMR that high or against a high-level Antagonist. Its not fair in my opinion.

And for the antagonist, it’s frequent that the gap between the antagonist’s MMR and mission MMR is huge, like 20% to 30% of difference. And a high MMR for a mission does not counterbalance the low MMR of the antagonist the opposite is also true. It’s almost impossible or too easy, and rarely fair or challenging.

I think that it would be really helpful if we could see precise  informations (health and damage % of the mobs and boss , AI level of intelligence, etc. ) about the impact of the MMR on the mission moreover the MMR doesn’t seem consistent, sometimes a 35% MMR mission is far harder than a 42% MMR one.

At the moment, I’m guessing that a higher MMR is supposed to increase your score at the end of the mission, but once again, it’s highly inconsistent, a 42% MMR does not always feel more impacting than a 30% MMR. Besides, I have the same cap of maximum earnable currency than a 18% MMR player or a 57% MMR player.

My propositions to improve the overall experience are the following:

-Replace this MMR percentage system for a level system of MMR, it would be on a scale from 1 to 10 and each level has its own difficulty and own rewards (the closer the level is to 10 the harder is the mission, and the higher is the currency rewards cap), and they are clearly shown on the character choosing screen before the mission.

-Make the matchmaking consistent or at least more transparent and explicit, I know sometime It’s hard to find a game because of the lack of players.

-Make the difficulty clear and transparent before a mission (health and damage % of the mobs and boss, AI level of intelligence, etc.) and make it have a real tangible impact on our rewards.

-Make the loss and gain of MMR level clear, consistent and indulgent, like “You need to win X game with a score superior than Y to go to the next MMR level” and “If you lose X game with a score inferior than Y you drop of a level”. This level system must be indulgent , if I lose with a team with a far lower MMR than me (and the difficulty is too high for them ), or against an Antagonist with a far higher MMR than me, having a big drop in my MMR level doesn’t feel fair,  and since the game is a 4v1 co-op, it would feel to one-sided if one player could carry the entire team because they got paired with players who have way less experience, both sides would be left dissatisfied.

-Make us possible to leave a game and find another one, sometime the difficulty is very high  and our teammates are beginner and don’t want to capitulate while we are in the mission for 15 min but we still haven’t even started the first  objective, for example on the mission “low blow”, yesterday, in 12 min the Aleph overload of the objective was totally empty, because 4 engineers were spawning at the same time and I was the only one who was trying to kill them. I ended up closing my game. And this situation happens to me almost everyday (I play 6h per day).I have another personal example which is very demonstrative… : https://imgur.com/a/WaTasMN

And that is all I have to suggest, in my opinion it’s not impossible to do, I trust the development team to take the best choice possible for the game we all love: SPACELORDS <3

Thanks to you if you have read my whole post, let me know what you guys think, have a nice day! And see you on the broken planet ;).

I think Mercury Steam usually takes time to respond to suggestions and feedback and it can take much longer to fix issues regarding integral parts of the current META such as MMR and thinking of new ideas to either redesign or replace MMR would take time balancing. Furthermore this can take time to do properly, otherwise the solution may make balancing worse.

This along with the probability that Mercury Steam already has their hands tied up fixing older problems with the game and the recent post from mercury steam tells me that this will take a while to fix https://spacelordsthegame.com/news/a-message-from-the-dev-team

P.S. I think I remember other member's already posting about this. Actually it's the one currently below this post, though it only briefly delves into MMR issues https://www.spacelordsthegame.com/community/index.php?topic=31760.0
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:56:51 PM by lightoflife3 »