Author Topic: Tips for A Breath of Hope as an Antag?  (Read 12430 times)

immortanjoe

• View Profile
Tips for A Breath of Hope as an Antag?
on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:16 AM
I like this level fine as a Raider, but struggled on it as an Antag trying several character and card combinations.  Anyone else?

Snipers like Shae and Harec definitely didn't feel right. I fudged it up with Konstantin, Hans, Alicia, and Doldren too on the melee end. It's been a minute since I did Lycus. Might go back to him. Here's a short outline of issues that might be correlated to the level itself.

1. Number or length of walls
a) Not being able to line up a shot, especially if you need to charge it or spin up a minigun-type weapon
b) it feels like it is hard to keep track of everything going on, even with glowing stress signatures and wearing a headset to listen for sound cues. During a melee with one character, the others sneak up far too easy.
c) the camera is sometimes forced into unfavorable positions because of the walls.

2) Antagonist controlled AI
Currently, spawned AI don't really group up on a single target at the same time even if you order 3 of them to attack one person. They go one by one to their deaths. This is typical with all maps, but it seems exacerbated in A Breath of Hope.

3) Looters
There are looters everywhere that give the Raiders 5 free Aleph to complete an objective or use on you, the Antag. The AI doesn't defend looters effectively, therefore you're likely to encounter a Raider with aleph on them when you have none.

4) Small window of opportunity
In the second part, the Raiders kill the floating orbs before I can run their lives down. This probably stems from them having too many lives carried over from part one though.

For those that are higher level, more skilled, efficient or thoughtful in their approach, I invite them to shed some light on how to deal with the Raiders on this map. Anything constructive helps :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:14:21 AM by immortanjoe »

sonofoz

• View Profile
Re: Avoid A Breath of Hope as an Antag?
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:20:41 AM
not a mission i like a lot, i usually antag as shae or konst, and shae is good for me on this mission.
i tried it with lycus too. it works. lycus is often cool as antag, and his "invisibility card" can help.

but alicia or harec can do great job there too. not in my hands btw, but... for people used to play them, they can be cool here.

and i never saw it until now, but an aneska or a valeria who could invade and then keep the aleph/extraction zone may be annoying.

immortanjoe

• View Profile
Re: Tips for A Breath of Hope as an Antag?
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:01 AM
Oh that's interesting that you said Shae works fine. I have the Focus KAA7 at forge level 7 so I could probably do good damage if i get a good angle. As far as Konstantin is concerned, the cards I have equipped for him now improve melee damage and give his sphere a forward impulse. What is your loadout for him if I might ask?

Lehi

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:59:39 AM
>b) it feels like it is hard to keep track of everything going on, even with glowing stress signatures and wearing a headset to listen for sound cues. During a melee with one character, the others sneak up far too easy.

I know it's hard, but as you wrote above, you know what is wrong already. Then, try to look around sometimes. You can check raiders' positions before spawn. Attack one overextending, and run before surrounded.

sonofoz

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 02:15:29 PM
Oh that's interesting that you said Shae works fine. I have the Focus KAA7 at forge level 7 so I could probably do good damage if i get a good angle. As far as Konstantin is concerned, the cards I have equipped for him now improve melee damage and give his sphere a forward impulse. What is your loadout for him if I might ask?
with shae i only used sadhu, especially as antag.
for konst, i was talking in general, but i think i never tried it on this particular map and the impulse sphere would be almost useless there imo.
with him i use or the reduce recast time or the increased pushback effect, associated with increased armor. 

Dr.Kuzie

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:00:25 PM
Kuzzman + Lightbolgen worked to get the 10, but wasn't easy; play as normal antag (some CQC, some shootwork), use your trap on the pillars whenever you can and shoot-cover to infect all of them if they activate the pillars. You should always stay on the upper platform so you can have some advantage, and be agressive, but don't overextend yourself.

Sphere part: You have to be very agressive with your arcs and always infect two raiders at least, so you make them stay away and be less conscious about the spheres and more about you. Your trap here can be used in the corner with the snipers, but you shouldn't rely too much on it.

With this a a bit of luck you can overkill the sudden death, or the first phase without Aleph.

Cards were... Don't remember the name. The one that gives you healthpoints as a passive and the one that recharges your trap 300% faster while in cover.

immortanjoe

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 06:00:55 AM
>b) it feels like it is hard to keep track of everything going on, even with glowing stress signatures and wearing a headset to listen for sound cues. During a melee with one character, the others sneak up far too easy.

I know it's hard, but as you wrote above, you know what is wrong already. Then, try to look around sometimes. You can check raiders' positions before spawn. Attack one overextending, and run before surrounded.

Yeah it could be that I'm either going after the wrong Raider first or my spawning is flawed so I'll try to put more effort into making good choices there. Thanks

immortanjoe

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 06:04:25 AM
with shae i only used sadhu, especially as antag.
for konst, i was talking in general, but i think i never tried it on this particular map and the impulse sphere would be almost useless there imo.
with him i use or the reduce recast time or the increased pushback effect, associated with increased armor.

Yeah thanks, reducing the cast time of the sphere would be GREAT. The more time that passes, the more I see the foward impulse card doesn't do what I want it to. It goes left and right for no reason when I intend it to go forward! lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:14:19 AM by immortanjoe »

immortanjoe

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 06:10:08 AM
Kuzzman + Lightbolgen worked to get the 10, but wasn't easy; play as normal antag (some CQC, some shootwork), use your trap on the pillars whenever you can and shoot-cover to infect all of them if they activate the pillars. You should always stay on the upper platform so you can have some advantage, and be agressive, but don't overextend yourself.

Sphere part: You have to be very agressive with your arcs and always infect two raiders at least, so you make them stay away and be less conscious about the spheres and more about you. Your trap here can be used in the corner with the snipers, but you shouldn't rely too much on it.

With this a a bit of luck you can overkill the sudden death, or the first phase without Aleph.

Cards were... Don't remember the name. The one that gives you healthpoints as a passive and the one that recharges your trap 300% faster while in cover.

Don't have lightbolgen yet for Kuzzman, but I play him so the experience should take over once I have that weapon.

I never tried staying on the top platform. Good idea.

Something that recharges your trap 300% faster?! I need this right away, that would be a top tier build for him and encourage me to Antag as him more often.

Thanks for the tips.

Engelsgaard

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 05:00:05 PM
I've played reasonably well with Hans. My gamestyle was to hide (no aleph signature) and burst out with Usu and flight where they put the aleph in, surprise them, and kill one immediatly and melee the second person.
Still, winning is hard.
Harec is good, you can stalk the ceiling and snipe them when they put aleph in.

immortanjoe

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 05:47:04 AM
I've played reasonably well with Hans. My gamestyle was to hide (no aleph signature) and burst out with Usu and flight where they put the aleph in, surprise them, and kill one immediatly and melee the second person.
Still, winning is hard.
Harec is good, you can stalk the ceiling and snipe them when they put aleph in.

Thank you for the tips! I actually like playing Hans and have the USU, so this would be a strategy I could implement. Harec is always handy too, I hear he is the best antag.

TheNobleWolf

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 08:49:17 AM
For your grunt problem I find telling them to follow me or defend a position to work and when they group up then you send them to a target so they leave together.

I know it's a bit of a time waster but it's the most effective way for them to be sent to a target all together.

Derrin Errow

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 07:16:31 AM
I know Ginebra can be a solid pick for this mission, the Schluder or J.Wheel can be your best friend especially in the first  part since there are so many walls and narrow corridors, and Cougar form can help you traverse the map or make a quick escape by climbing up walls that normal raiders can't the second section may require a little more hand to hand combat if they get to that part, but people tend to huddle up near the spawn point so there's a chance to knock one raider into another.