Author Topic: New Player Advice, Please Read - Fighting against an Antagonist  (Read 4759 times)

Marcus4471

• View Profile
Ok.

In fact, this could also benefit some not-so-new players as well.

If you don't play as a team, when in a mission against an Antagonist, there is a very high chance you will lose. If it's a T1 Antagonist, and an Alien faction, then the probability is raised higher.

Look at the team you've selected before you go into a mission. If you pick a team of Konstantin, Kuzman, Valeria and Ginebra, for example, all heavies, then you'll be eaten up for breakfast by an Antagonist. If it's a Harec (especially), or a Shae you'll just be sniped from a distance and there'll be nothing you'll be able to do about it.
To counter them, for example, take a Shae to counter a Harec, as she will spot him when he's stalking with her bewitched ability. Take a Doldren to counter Shae, who you can kill when she's lining up her shot. In fact, a Doldren on any Raider team, really is a must for taking down the enemy Antagonist. Remember, they'll be hunting you and won't see the Doldren hunting them, when in ethereal form.

Secondly, depending on who the Antagonist is you're up against, don't go running off on your own. A Harec, Shae and a Doldren will chew you up and spit you out with ease. Stay together as a team or if not, then in pairs to watch each other's back.

I've found that in many games I've played, if your team known what they're doing that is each player's role then the game will run smoothly and you'll easily win a victory. Whenever I choose ANYONE from the Alien faction, I know that it's my sole job in the game to firstly take out the Antagonist if there is one and secondly top priority in missions - Gun turrets with elites and of course heavy damage on the boss. They, however ALWAYS take second priority to the Antagonist.

Thirdly, to continue from point 2, those other non Alien factions, help your Antagonist 'hunter' in killing the grunts around him. Hades, Wardogs and Fifth Council Raiders should all be making a very safe environment to allow your Harecs, Shaes and Doldrens to attack the Antagonist. The same with bosses. They are the high damage givers in this game but they can't damage if they're being attacked by the grunts. It's like the cycle of combat with grab beating a dodge, dodge beating a strike and strike beating a grab. Your Antagonist hunter, can't hunt the Antagonist if the grunts are attacking them and your Raider team mates can't kill the grunts if the Antagonist is killing them.

Everything in this game is like any other team game in that you have to know your priorities in the game. You don't, for example, as a Doldren/Harec/Shae/Iune pick up the Cannister in Short fused and decide to have a merry little jaunt up to the Wardog Tank. You not only have the lowest pool of health and will end up in wounded state, but you're allowing an enemy antagonist the freedom to kill your team mates and you.

There's nothing that frustrates me more, in a game, when my team mates are falling like flies, smashed to pieces by the enemy Antagonist, because either Harec, Shae or Doldren is refusing to hunt the Antagonist and instead go for glory killing elites and grunts.

To finish, I would go so far as to state the Alien faction have the hardest job, not only as high DPS boss killers, antagonist hunters but also have the lowest health. Iune also is a team healer. This in no way detracts from the importance of all the other characters. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

P.S. To 'sonofoz'
When the above is not being carried out then as far as I'm concerned it's a perfectly valid reason for quitting the game. If your team IS NOT playing as a team, then you effectively don't have a team and are not letting anyone down by quitting. In effect, it's turned into an 'every man for himself' situation, which sadly most games are.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:56:13 PM by Marcus4471 »

Guilla

• View Profile
I love playing as teams of all locals, or all wardogs, etc. it's kind of fun when we get an antag and we have to really work together to use our strengths and limit how our weaknesses have an effect on the battle.

Friends I play with will do this and in solo que sometimes if 3 pick a faction, i will pick that same faction for an interesting match.

I don't have to win to have a good time. I have learned a lot in matches that i get my butt handed to me.

Guilla

• View Profile
Your post overall is pretty good though. A lot of times the new players are much more concerned with learning their character then the overall strategy of the map.

Heck, even I am sometimes, the single player maps just don't cut it for testing out things.

It's good you are putting these up for new players, I would also suggest letting them know these things nicely while you are playing with them. I have met a ton of people in game just by helping them, even when I am antagonist I will help lower level guys who are trying but just don't get it.

Marcus4471

• View Profile
Thanks Guilla.

sonofoz

• View Profile
don't try to bring excuses marcus. you're a selfish quitters who just look for team to carry him, there is nothing else to know about your reasons or psychology.

anyway, i still agree with the majority of your advices, except some points, but that's maybe because you flee 70% of the time when there is antag leaving your teamates alone, so you're not really used to fight them ?   ::)

If you pick a team of Konstantin, Kuzman, Valeria and Ginebra, for example, all heavies, then you'll be eaten up for breakfast by an Antagonist. If it's a Harec (especially), or a Shae you'll just be sniped from a distance and there'll be nothing you'll be able to do about it.
not necessarilly in fact...
it depends on the mission topography and objective, moreover 5th council are pretty resistent to bullets so harec or shae won't always OS them.

shae for example, is more effective against hans or alicia than against valeria or konstantin. and pretty effective on the 5th council boss missions too.
(if you had known that you certainly could have won this mission against the alicia antag that you quitted immediatly.)  ;)

take a Shae to counter a Harec
Take a Doldren to counter Shae
indeed

In fact, a Doldren on any Raider team, really is a must for taking down the enemy Antagonist
yes but... be carefull...
for a good trained antag he'll have nothing to focus on except you and will lure you to kill you or just understand that you are focusing him and be on gard to counter you and have a quick kill.
but yes, i agree, most of the time against casual players doldren can be a pretty efficient antag counter.

Stay together as a team
be carefull though, harec's easteregg can do pretty bad things to groups.
as sadhu if the antag lvl is far higher than yours.
same for kuzman, rak and all characters with aoe weapons

you forget one of the most important advice imo :
killing the antag won't make you win the mission.
achieving your mission objective will.

all the lives and time you are losing chasing him bring the victory closer to its reach.
and the longer the mission, the higher his chances to win.

if the antag is a big fish, and if there is no-one who have fair chances against him, focus on the mission objective and avoid fights (if possible)

an antag can easilly sudden death a team in 30minutes but there is really small chance he could do it in 5mn.
so : focus on objective.
the quicker the mission, the higher your victory chances.
moreover, monsters and boss are always far weaker when there is an antag (well not really "always", there is always difficulty bugs who appears... but lets say 75% of the time), allowing you to end some missions quickly.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:50:21 AM by sonofoz »

Kefal

• View Profile
Different characters counter different Antagonists. While snipers counter snipers, and Doldren is good at hunting Antagonists in general, there are others. Alicia can do a lot — reach Antag at the end of long map and force them to melee, avoid shots, especially from guys with shotguns like Lycus, run around regenerating during Survive. Lycus can carry things and move around the map protected by his shield. Konstantin can defend an objective and push Antag away from you and your team.

While picking your character, try to have some variety. Sometimes one character, who doesn't fit the mission, can make Antags life a living hell.