Author Topic: Defending Objectives  (Read 6139 times)

Artivex

• View Profile
Defending Objectives
on: April 25, 2019, 07:46:49 AM
So do we just not do this? The terminals in Double Agent are what really get me. I've seen so many people fail this mission just because the terminals get locked. I figure we follow Schneider and have someone split off at each terminal is how it's supposed to work but I've never seen anyone else do this, not even the lvl400s.

Actually had some cuck call me a leech when the mission would have failed on five separate occasions had I not been by the terminal. Even sat there and watched me try and shoot the guy past his fat ass, body blocking my shots while trying to show his displeasure by meleeing me. Guy was tier1 and couldn't put two and two together.

Rant aside, it just baffles me that I don't see this in missions that seem to call for it. Hanging by a Thread is excusable I guess since most players I run into there are new to the game, but I wanted to try and get the word out to everybody to try this out and see how effective it might be. 4 terminals, 4 raiders. I'm just say'n

Artivex

• View Profile
Re: Defending Objectives
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:59:15 PM
Let me be clear here. I'm not trashing anyone who doesn't, I just want to get the idea out there since I don't see it. It did piss me off a bit though to have some guy call me a leech even after I more or less soloed the boss  -_- (loath does some insane damage to that mech)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:06:37 PM by Artivex »

MeleeMaster

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:14 AM
There are also the ones that don't go after engineers or put Aleph on generators.

Artivex

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:46:38 PM
True. Just played A Low Blow and lost without getting any pressure segments since no one was killing engineers. I just can't be everywhere at once. They weren't very high level though. I'm thinking some people still don't get how bad these guys can be for your mission.

But yeah, if anyone can think of any more missions where splitting up to defend an objective could be super helpful put it up here. Getting the word out to the community could help get efficient mannerisms. It might be a long shot but I like to think it could help
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:52:46 PM by Artivex »

Artivex

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 05:05:43 AM
Just did a count on A Low Blow. Only three levers for relieving pressure, so we could probably have people guard those and have one clearing while the pressure segment fills. Doesn't work so well unless majority of the team is on board though, unlike Double Agent where you can at least prevent a lockdown, and subsequent failure, by yourself.

Engelsgaard

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:08:31 AM
my playstyle is not as strict as you suggest. Mostly 1 player is in the vicinity of the upper bunker, because some docs spawn there that will pull the lever. Often enough we loose only that lever and Schneider has to pull it again.
One player stays close enough to Schneider and most importantly, when you see a doc spawn wit their blue outline, the other 2 hunt them. Don't let them run towards a lever that you defend, kill them on their way.

Most useful raiders for the first part: Harec (stalk+snipe docs at terminals), Valeria (Shakura can defend a terminal and she can roam free) and Shae (can snipe from balcony and still defend the upper bunker). I also like to play Hans for hunting docs.

I hope it helps, and as always there is surely more than one way to play and win this map.

Engelsgaard

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:15:33 AM
For a low blow, I can highly recommend Valeria with Shakura. I carried a lot of people there with her.
When the map starts, run around, find the levers. There should be 2 levers on in main area and one somewhere in the starting area.
Place Shakura so that the orb floats between both levers in the main part. The portal should be at the levers where most mobs spawn.

And you can wait it absolute safety in the beginner area near that lever, defending all 3.

Every team can put aleph in the reactor. Most beginner do it immediately and near the end, when things get hectic, some doc is gonna release all the aleph and you're screwed. Valeria can stay out of trouble and just concentrate on docs. Ignore players dying, elites and all else, just defend the levers and sooner or later you're gonna win.

With an antag, you're gonna need to improvise, but since they don't see you hiding, they're still gonna be in the main area and your shakura will help your team. So it should still work.

Artivex

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 01:25:34 AM
my playstyle is not as strict as you suggest. Mostly 1 player is in the vicinity of the upper bunker, because some docs spawn there that will pull the lever. Often enough we loose only that lever and Schneider has to pull it again.
One player stays close enough to Schneider and most importantly, when you see a doc spawn wit their blue outline, the other 2 hunt them. Don't let them run towards a lever that you defend, kill them on their way.

Most useful raiders for the first part: Harec (stalk+snipe docs at terminals), Valeria (Shakura can defend a terminal and she can roam free) and Shae (can snipe from balcony and still defend the upper bunker). I also like to play Hans for hunting docs.

I hope it helps, and as always there is surely more than one way to play and win this map.

I get that there's multiple ways to do things. I'm just so sick of the match for that mission always dragging on much longer than it has to. Rarely do I see people prioritize engineers in missions so I just stand by a terminal so we don't have to backtrack to it and kill any other enemies I see from there. Helps that I usually see enemies as they're spawning so it culls their numbers quite a bit.

Whatever way works best for each individual is fine if it works. Thought to put my strat here to see if it catches on at all. Maybe I'm the odd one out and there is no method to my madness.

(I know this topic is dead already btw, I don't hop on here enough to keep track of things but thought it deserved a response)

Artivex

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 01:30:56 AM
As for Low Blow, I don't generally defend levers. Usually just run around prioritizing engineers and collecting aleph on the side while add clearing. Found out the number of levers and thought "that could work." But standing by one by myself won't do much without the team being on board I don't think. (Save for that Valeria strat Engelsgaard mentioned.)

lokoangel48

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:48:16 PM
Lol what was the name of that tier 1 guy I feel like I know who he could be

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 10:47:30 AM
Just figured Id let you guys know that Sooma's Redeemer weapon can do ALL the work for you (Until they find a way to nerf it like The Whip). Just shoot one of its six shot at the Floor of the Terminal,Lever, The Pig (Marmalade Boss), or just anywhere you would see an Engineer/Looter and Her Redeemer will do the Work for you. Think Valeria's Shakura if it were Stationary.

sonofoz

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 04:05:30 AM
you can have several reasons :

- first, some players chose to defend schneider by following him more than defending consoles. sometimes it could be tricky to fight him alone, trying to put aleph on him while 5 grunts are unloading there shotguns on you.

- most chose to reduce monsters, running a little everywhere. less monsters,  less chance for everyone to die (including schneider) and as soon as you see an engeneer somewhere, you go for the kill before it makes troubles.

- some consoles are pretty far away from each others and there is often one or two doors for incoming monsters near them. and maybe you don't want to be alone to face them all if a big pack comes in.

- as you don't necessarily want to be isolated next to monster entrance to face an antag.

- staying relatively close to each others give everyone the possibility to care for anyone seems in trouble.

- depending on your character and the game difficulty, you can't face more than two or three grunts at the same time without having great chance to die. some characters are not really made to defend position.
so you can tell me, "ok but if you know it is this mission, take one that CAN defend a position"
indeed. but you need to have one. characters are expensive, people are not all paying to have gold, so maybe their pool of character don't allow that, maybe they are used to play specific characters not suitable to defense, but they like to play them anyway, maybe they noticed no one in the team had weapons allowing to shoot the flower on the next stage, etc, etc...

- and finally, some just play, running around, killing things, "brainlessly", being happy.
it's still pretty usefull until there is something really more important to do, and they should do it because they are the best for it and no-one can replace them at that moment to do it, and well... they don't...
here goes the world =)

but to conclude, imo, one player defending each console is not necessarily the best thing to do depending on the team, situation, etc.

Artivex

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 11:36:39 PM
All very good points, Sonofoz. I figure most of us just make whatever call seems right at the time. For me, I just like trying to keep terminals clear. But everythingnis adaptable depending on the situation.

Maybe I'll see more people going after engineers in the future and can stop worrying about what'll happen if I get too far from the terminals. It's just the way I do things. Like I said, maybe I'm crazy.

Also, I don't want to put the aforementioned guy's name on here in them off chance he starts getting flamed on his account. He might be kickass but it doesn't mean I have to be.