Author Topic: The Disconnect between Discord and the Official Website Forums  (Read 16969 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
This was added 4/17/19 to the "unofficial" Spacelords discord:

"Hello Raiders!

Over the past several weeks we have received dozens of complaints from multiple users regarding the ongoing discussion revolving around “removing / making optional antagonist mode”, in general chat. While we (the mods), encourage feedback, and do our best to make sure everyone has a voice, including those with an unpopular or controversial opinions, we also need to maintain an environment for everyone to feel free to express themselves. After careful deliberation and discussion from the mod team, and in light of multiple complaints from multiple users over the past several weeks, we believe this discussion has ceased being productive and has turned hostile and disruptive to the community.

While the discord is a place for constructive criticism and to voice concerns to the devs, this is NOT an environment to proselytize users on a daily ongoing basis regarding the same topic ad nauseam. We don’t believe in censorship or stifling other people’s opinions, however arguing with / harassing users is not an effective tool to solicit your feedback to the devs and is wholly disruptive to the community we have built here. It is also antithetical to our primary goal for this server; to provide an environment where players can connect and play with one another. Constant bickering, arguments, smarmy barbs, etc. drives users away from the server and away from the game and promotes an environment that is not conducive to open dialogue and discussion.

After a couple weeks of discussion, the mod team has come to a consensus and decided upon the following actions to remedy the situation. Our decision was made with consideration for both parties involved to be as fair as possible.
1. Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional) from this date forward will be treated as hostile and disruptive and may result in further disciplinary action. Up to and including : mute, kick or permanent ban.
2. Continued discussion is allowed, but please do so over PM or a forum post only
Our decision was made after observing weeks of posting history and as well as analyzing intent based on multiple conversations we have been witness to in the past couple of weeks. You are still free to discuss any other topic, and when possible we encourage you to PM other users or to create detailed forum posts regarding the subject on antagonist mode, but please do not bring up or continue the topic here. This discussion has run its course, and at this point not particularly helpful to the community. Please stop.

IF you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact a mod or reach out to me directly, and I will be happy to discuss this further you.

Have an awesome day !  - Spacelords Mod Team"

Moebius also added @everyone

I'd like to report that this isn't true. I was muted for discussing antag again, fine I'll take my lumps. But I can tell you with certainty that the other people also discussing/debating antag mode in that conversation were NOT muted or punished in any way. Only me. I will tell you why.

There is a group of people there, most of them part of a particular guild (I won't say out of respect for the forums, but you know who) that if they decide they do not like you they will send in mass complaints to the mods. The mods being particularly partial to this guild and it's satellite cronies will often cave or side with their complaints and take a sort of intermediary revenge on the person the group chooses. But you will often not see anything done when the particularly toxic members are being rude to others, posting sarcastic or hurtful memes, replying with poison and snark or just generally baiting others into a heated situation so they can then mass report that person after being baited. The reason for the mods leniency is because the victims of these cliques don't have a large guild backing them to send in mass complaints so at the most they can only muster one complaint of something hurtful has been done to them. And, as said before, the Mods are particularly partial to them. The discord also has a ritualistic habit of taking posts from here and making fun of them. So any feedback they don't like from the official forums they quote and mock on the discord. They do this ALL the time. I have proof.

So the rules they create are only a tool to be used against anyone who doesn't fall in line with their dogma there. It's used as a hammer by the various cliques, a tool to mute and silence people. There is a damn good reason why many people from these forums do not tread the cesspool that is the unofficial discord. It's VERY hostile, it's VERY biased, and the rules are only for certain people while others are exempt from them. Even the mods will reply to real concerns with mocking memes. I have the proof.

I have often asked many other people of like mind here on the forums why they never go to the discord, if for anything to show that there are actually pro raiders players and to perhaps even the numbers and represent there. But they refuse and I stayed there. And now I know why and they're right.

If you are a new player, be very careful of the discord. And don't think for a moment that it represents the majority of the playerbase. It does not. There are many silent people who stay away from there and many here who stay away as well.

My suggestion to the Devs would be to create an official discord, but that's just me. This way it can be in far better management and moderation and have rules that apply to everyone and a consistent no tolerance for toxicity.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:20:24 AM by Level9Drow »

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
So, so long as one avoid the topic of Antagonist over there it should be ok?

Level9Drow

• View Profile

No, as long as certain people self censor about antagonists it's ok (me being one of them). The "clique" we'll call them can talk about antag all day. They don't have to follow the rules. The rules only apply to those they say they apply to.

Whitebleidd

• View Profile
Lol sad but I can attest to Level9Drow’s claims, it’s all true :/

Antags in the discord remind me of cartoonish versions of medieval religious villagers, Kind of like the villagers in the 42nd episode of “Doraleous & Associates” xD
https://youtu.be/kAfNo79GSOM?t=103

If you avoid ALL, and I mean any topic related to antags, you may be good, they say “Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional)” but it’s not really just that, any criticism on the mode, even if it’s not about “removing” it will face backlash, you either praise antag mode or gtfo. Ofc there's some exceptions as Drow mentioned, I’m pretty sure certain ppl wont be banned even if they get into a heated discussion about it, though that’s probably mostly because they will be arguing in favor of it.

So the real rule is a bit more like this:

Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional) are a bannable offense, UNLESS your arguing in favor of it”

Angeles2099

• PSN:Angeles2099 "Turn experience into Power"
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.com
damn

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Lol sad but I can attest to Level9Drow’s claims, it’s all true :/

Antags in the discord remind me of cartoonish versions of medieval religious villagers, Kind of like the villagers in the 42nd episode of “Doraleous & Associates” xD
https://youtu.be/kAfNo79GSOM?t=103

If you avoid ALL, and I mean any topic related to antags, you may be good, they say “Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional)” but it’s not really just that, any criticism on the mode, even if it’s not about “removing” it will face backlash, you either praise antag mode or gtfo. Ofc there's some exceptions as Drow mentioned, I’m pretty sure certain ppl wont be banned even if they get into a heated discussion about it, though that’s probably mostly because they will be arguing in favor of it.

So the real rule is a bit more like this:

Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional) are a bannable offense, UNLESS your arguing in favor of it”

LOL, "What's cake?"

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
… We don’t believe in censorship or stifling other people’s opinions, …
… but …
… 1. Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional) from this date forward will be treated as hostile and disruptive and may result in further disciplinary action. Up to and including : mute, kick or permanent ban.
2. Continued discussion is allowed, but please do so over PM or a forum post only …
*Nuclear facepalm* *LOL*

But seriously, if it's that bad there, don't go there anymore!?
If you don't like what they do, don't care about them at all!
It's not even an official Spacelords discord.

Velgeder

• View Profile
… but …
… 1. Any further discussion related to changes of antagonist mode (specifically removing it from game or making it optional) from this date forward will be treated as hostile and disruptive and may result in further disciplinary action. Up to and including : mute, kick or permanent ban.
2. Continued discussion is allowed, but please do so over PM or a forum post only …
*Nuclear facepalm* *LOL*

It's ironic cause said individual puts a lot of effort into trashing peoole in the discord, but yet is always there. Hmmmmm

Its all about the the attention. If they don't get it in the discord they just post on the forums.  The fact that this is even a thread proves my point.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
… but …
*Nuclear facepalm* *LOL*

It's ironic cause said individual puts a lot of effort into trashing peoole in the discord, but yet is always there. Hmmmmm

Its all about the the attention. If they don't get it in the discord they just post on the forums.  The fact that this is even a thread proves my point.

Interesting way to dodge his point.  Besides, what are you doing here Vel? You have an echo chamber back at Discord with people who agree with everything you say. You have to try and take the forums away to? The complete an utter control over Discord isn't enough for you people?