Author Topic: Antagonist system  (Read 10635 times)

Tekato

• View Profile
Antagonist system
on: September 08, 2018, 01:53:15 PM
Please remove it I believe it is killing what's left of the player base and the fact that new players have to deal with this can be frustrating. This is not a fun mechanic I suggest adding a seperate pvp mode for those that really want it.

Onionsunleashes

• View Profile
Re: Antagonist system
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 02:22:40 PM
I disagree a good team can absolutely shut down a antagonist  there are only a few missions I'd say lean towards the antagonist favor

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 06:56:02 PM
I disagree a good team can absolutely shut down a antagonist  there are only a few missions I'd say lean towards the antagonist favor
Sure with a good team it's no problem dealing with one. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a pointless annoying mechanic which doesn't even reward either side with anything other than the basic mission rewards. Also finding a good team with the already small player base is not that easy, especially with all the new players coming in because of the change to free to play. Think about all the new people starting this game that get completely destroyed by high lv antagonist, those players will most likely leave the game without looking back.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 07:41:24 PM
To be fair, most new player will leave the game and never look back for a myriad of reasons. The antagonist is just one of many problems Spacelords has with player retention.

OldToothless

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 08:07:23 PM
I've not posted before but i have to agree with you Tekato(and the other posts here and on reddit about this matter).The approach taken here to force the pvp no matter what just seems punitive.Options and rewarding people for taking part in them is a far better approach in my opinion.
I post because yes i have seen alot of people quit but now i'm about to lose from the game my two friends and teamates as well.
I really do love the game but it just seems the dev team are sat on decisions that are stopping people enjoying it at their own pace.
Good luck all.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 12:09:58 AM
I've not posted before but i have to agree with you Tekato(and the other posts here and on reddit about this matter).The approach taken here to force the pvp no matter what just seems punitive.Options and rewarding people for taking part in them is a far better approach in my opinion.
I post because yes i have seen alot of people quit but now i'm about to lose from the game my two friends and teamates as well.
I really do love the game but it just seems the dev team are sat on decisions that are stopping people enjoying it at their own pace.
Good luck all.

I think that is fair. I would like to see more numerous but easier to achieve goals. That way players feel like they can accomplish something every time they play even if it is just for a few hours. Right now the gold grind is pretty intense, then you have the 24/12/8 hour blueprint rotations, and then you have the faction point grind for card rerolls, and lastly the forge/account level system. Overall it feels like everything is a long grind, which is good but hurts new players who don't feel like they are making any real progress.

Criselith

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 02:56:44 PM
I agree! why so difficult to add a simple checkbox in Setting to block antagonists for your game?

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
This game is too unbalanced for pvp anyway most  characters can 1-2 shot you with the right build or just stunlock you with stagger shots. They should just focus on pve content and make playing missions worth it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:38:09 PM by Tekato »

Agent-Z46

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 05:51:23 PM
I strongly disagree with this. To me the Antagonist system is a core part of the game and is what makes it really fun. It shakes things up and makes the missions more interesting rather than doing the exact same thing over and over. I also love there being a lore reason for it. Even as a Raider I get excited when an Antagonist joins as it just makes it more fun. It's not just me that feels this way. Loads of players love the Antagonist system and honestly I'd be devastated if they removed it. It's also worth noting that the Raiders have the advantage over the Antagonist, not the other way around. I find myself getting more frustrated playing an Antagonist rather than a Raider. But that's how it should be. It's hard! You have to think and play a different way as you just can't take on four players at once. You have to be clever.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 06:15:22 PM
I strongly disagree with this. To me the Antagonist system is a core part of the game and is what makes it really fun. It shakes things up and makes the missions more interesting rather than doing the exact same thing over and over. I also love there being a lore reason for it. Even as a Raider I get excited when an Antagonist joins as it just makes it more fun. It's not just me that feels this way. Loads of players love the Antagonist system and honestly I'd be devastated if they removed it. It's also worth noting that the Raiders have the advantage over the Antagonist, not the other way around. I find myself getting more frustrated playing an Antagonist rather than a Raider. But that's how it should be. It's hard! You have to think and play a different way as you just can't take on four players at once. You have to be clever.

Except I played in 5 or so Mentor matches last night and all but 1 of them had an antagonist. The problem is that in only 1 mentor match with an antagonist did the new player actually stay until the end of the match. That's not a good ratio for new player retention (nor is it worth +20% exp and a 300 gold bonus to play with only 3 players).

Tekato

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 06:17:11 PM
Hmm i can accept that some players might like it but I feel like you're overestimating the amount. Almost all if not all T1/2 players ignore the whole antagonist system, since the equilibrium is always at 0% for the most part.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 06:24:00 PM
It doesn't matter if you disagree with this, it's causing players to leave and is unhealthy for the game's longevity. if YOU like PvP then you would choose the antagonists option "on" in their hypothetical scenario. But the option to turn it OFF wouldn't hurt anyone who wants to PvP and keep it on. I don't understand people like you who want to decide for OTHERS just because they themselves like something. More options are ONLY a god thing.

People have been telling MSE for a long LOOOONG time now that they don't want PvP and that many people leave because of PvP. MSE, in my opinion, is being forced by higher ups who don't understand the situation or are being blindly stubborn and believe we like something we don't. This WILL hurt their game, it already is. And even more no than ever since it's so hard to get BP and rewards. The antagonists is even LESS liked than before since he can fuck your progress in a very bad way. Having an antagonist, as I've said before, doesn't rewards ANYTHING more than what you would already gain verses AI. In fact, it gives you LESS then what you would normally get. So there isn't any incentive to WANT an antagonists in your game.

I see newer players all the time, level 1 to 10 range, just disconnect when they see an antagonists, or just stand there and go AFK. I don't blame them, antagonists are nothing but making a player be a gate for progression, it's a dishonest divisive tactic. And it's no fun. I don't find it fun when I win against an antag either, because I didn't get anything special for winning that I couldn't get normally if not more, and the antag player lost and got shit rewards, and it didn't add ANYTHING beneficial to the match. So I just shake my head when we beat him because he reduced my rewards more than what we could normally get and he certainly didn't get the rewards he would normally get so we both lost. NO ONE gained above what they could get scoring a 9 point or higher score in PvE. And when he wins, I am tilted beyond believe and am likely to throw the game in resentment if I ever see him on my team so we are ven again and so it breeds toxicity between PvEers and PvPers, and I don't feel guilty. Why? It's easy, it's forced so I don't care.

they could fix all this and more, all they have to do is make it optional. Options are never wrong. I don't care about your "philosophy" and what you believe PvP should be seen as. I don't care if you enjoy it and youo think I should be forced to enjoy it. I just don't. But making it optional would mean both PvEers and PvPers can coexist, they could CHOOSE how they want to play the game (GASP BLASPHEMY, I know). And they could leave each other the fuck alone and players wouldn't leave when they are level 3 and have to fight a level 180, well carded, max forged Alicia going 100 mph through the air one shotting them. I mean how shit of an experience that is. They have EVERY RIGHT to leave, EVERY RIGHT to find it unpleasant and EVERY RIGHT to tell their friend NOT to play this game and to give it a terrible review on Steam or any other forum.

Wake up MSE.

L E T H A L ☆ C E N T A U R I

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 06:25:48 PM
Please remove it I believe it is killing what's left of the player base and the fact that new players have to deal with this can be frustrating. This is not a fun mechanic I suggest adding a seperate pvp mode for those that really want it.

I wouldn't say kill it. I would just make it an optional setting.

If you want to deal with the challenge of having an antag then play it that way. If not, then choose not to. I kinda don't care that much but it is pretty annoying sometimes (which is the entire point of antag LOL)

Agent-Z46

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:47:16 PM
It doesn't matter if you disagree with this, it's causing players to leave and is unhealthy for the game's longevity. if YOU like PvP then you would choose the antagonists option "on" in their hypothetical scenario. But the option to turn it OFF wouldn't hurt anyone who wants to PvP and keep it on. I don't understand people like you who want to decide for OTHERS just because they themselves like something. More options are ONLY a god thing.

People have been telling MSE for a long LOOOONG time now that they don't want PvP and that many people leave because of PvP. MSE, in my opinion, is being forced by higher ups who don't understand the situation or are being blindly stubborn and believe we like something we don't. This WILL hurt their game, it already is. And even more no than ever since it's so hard to get BP and rewards. The antagonists is even LESS liked than before since he can fuck your progress in a very bad way. Having an antagonist, as I've said before, doesn't rewards ANYTHING more than what you would already gain verses AI. In fact, it gives you LESS then what you would normally get. So there isn't any incentive to WANT an antagonists in your game.

I see newer players all the time, level 1 to 10 range, just disconnect when they see an antagonists, or just stand there and go AFK. I don't blame them, antagonists are nothing but making a player be a gate for progression, it's a dishonest divisive tactic. And it's no fun. I don't find it fun when I win against an antag either, because I didn't get anything special for winning that I couldn't get normally if not more, and the antag player lost and got shit rewards, and it didn't add ANYTHING beneficial to the match. So I just shake my head when we beat him because he reduced my rewards more than what we could normally get and he certainly didn't get the rewards he would normally get so we both lost. NO ONE gained above what they could get scoring a 9 point or higher score in PvE. And when he wins, I am tilted beyond believe and am likely to throw the game in resentment if I ever see him on my team so we are ven again and so it breeds toxicity between PvEers and PvPers, and I don't feel guilty. Why? It's easy, it's forced so I don't care.

they could fix all this and more, all they have to do is make it optional. Options are never wrong. I don't care about your "philosophy" and what you believe PvP should be seen as. I don't care if you enjoy it and youo think I should be forced to enjoy it. I just don't. But making it optional would mean both PvEers and PvPers can coexist, they could CHOOSE how they want to play the game (GASP BLASPHEMY, I know). And they could leave each other the fuck alone and players wouldn't leave when they are level 3 and have to fight a level 180, well carded, max forged Alicia going 100 mph through the air one shotting them. I mean how shit of an experience that is. They have EVERY RIGHT to leave, EVERY RIGHT to find it unpleasant and EVERY RIGHT to tell their friend NOT to play this game and to give it a terrible review on Steam or any other forum.

Wake up MSE.

There's no need to be so aggressive. I meant no harm. Just trying to convey that there are fans who really enjoy the system. The problem with making it optional is that it'd take just 1 player for a whole team to miss out on it. Plus it'd make it harder than it already is for an Antagonist to find a game. I know I already said I believe it to be a core part of the game but I really can't stress that enough. It's part of what really separates this game from others imo. Plus your supposed to react with dread when you get an Antagonist. Considering the way they do it, with Uras-Beherit taunting you. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have that and have a Raider be able to choose whether it happens or not. Again it's just my opinion.

L E T H A L ☆ C E N T A U R I

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 07:15:56 PM
There's no need to be so aggressive. I meant no harm. Just trying to convey that there are fans who really enjoy the system. The problem with making it optional is that it'd take just 1 player for a whole team to miss out on it. Plus it'd make it harder than it already is for an Antagonist to find a game. I know I already said I believe it to be a core part of the game but I really can't stress that enough. It's part of what really separates this game from others imo. Plus your supposed to react with dread when you get an Antagonist. Considering the way they do it, with Uras-Beherit taunting you. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have that and have a Raider be able to choose whether it happens or not. Again it's just my opinion.

The problem with making it optional is that it'd take just 1 player for a whole team to miss out on it.

ummm So what that's literally the point????

But Yeah Drow kinda takes shit mega-personally for some reason lol I think he's gonna get ips and someone's home address and kill them one day tbh even though I agree with him.