Author Topic: Newbies vs The World  (Read 3400 times)

Whatever

• View Profile
Newbies vs The World
on: February 17, 2019, 12:16:15 PM
Here’s a suggestion. Maybe make the game a bit softer on newbies? Just a bit so it’s fair? Just so they stand a chance. Just so they can enjoy the game, get a feel for it, get hooked, before it goes full hardcore, balls to the wall, your mothers watching and is disappointed in you Spacelords? And increase the rewards for people playing mentor matches while you’re at it, give us a light at the end of the slog to look forward too. Who knows, maybe this would increase the player count to the level where MMR wpuld be relevant?

Overall I doubt new players enjoy getting their faces smashed continually. It’s not fun for me watching it either, watching the teams lives slowly evaporate into nothing as an unranked player sacrifices themselves to an Elite who then rampages the rest of the team.

Engelsgaard

• View Profile
Re: Newbies vs The World
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 09:55:38 PM
The devs replied in another thread, that they're working on a tutorial. But I (and many others) fully agree with what you are saying.

The way it is now, it's not something you easily learn on the go. Some (many) players without ranks (probably level 1) disconnect during a mentor match.

Whatever

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:15:43 AM
Yeah, I’m sure a tutorial will help but at the same time the game just needs to physically be easier for new players. I don’t think the game is as fun for new players as it could be.

MagpieOAO

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:03 PM
Fortunately I enjoy a good challenge, but I have to say at first the game felt unnecessarily difficult and more token-taker than challenging until I started to learn the ropes.
In particular, enemies spawning right on top of you feels cheap. A tutorial should help but I think also adding more generic missions they can queue for, which have a more gradual learning curve to those missions would be a good idea that gets a lot of mileage. As the second problem for newbies is queuing.

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:27:05 PM
In my experience it is indeed poor conveyance that leads to most complaints. Like for the first few months I was pissed that the elites could spam invincibility endlessly. I didn't know it was limited to the number of charges they had till someone told me.

I now know it was on the loading screen, I just wasnt paying attention. I look forward to the new tutorials.

Ac3_f4ce

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:05:20 PM
If we had Good tutorials and improved communication between players this game would do a hell of a lot better. That would solve a lot of problems we have in game and we as players could circumvent some problems until MSE finds a solid solution.

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:35:57 AM
Right. I've been saying forever; make voice chat start on as default.  Nearly all modern online coop games these days defaults to voice chat on. They either don't know that's the case or know and are deliberately going against the grain.

If I could talk to new players I could coach them through and we'd all have a better time. Like "hey buddy, destroying the extractor is not how to win right now" on short fused. Or "FYI, herek is very vulnerable, but you can stalk to the ceiling to avoid danger."

This game requires coordination but instead everybody just runs around on thier own trying to guess what they should be doing. The biggest games today default to voice chat and nobody has complained about it. But people are constantly complaining that this game is too challenging. Whatever reason you have for continuing to do things this way, is simply not worth the mounds of turned off new prospects.

Zopheyron

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 10:54:21 PM
Maybe just the first stage playable in solo from the beginning must help.
A newbie can be free to shot/punch/die/LEARN everty time he/she want. To, most important, "listen" what the mission told us to be completed. And (dam) to see all the animations without hurt someone patience.