Author Topic: In regards to the card system and recruiting new raiders  (Read 2267 times)

Strider

• View Profile
Hi Mercurysteam and community,

For what it is worth; Let me start this off by saying that I am having a lot of fun with this game. The visuals are great, characters are varied and the combat (for the most part) is polished. Very little concern from me in terms of the core gameplay provided.

However, between the recent news of the rebranding and the interviews that followed, I think this is a better time than any to discuss the card system and recruitment in general.

Arguably the biggest and the most important part of the game are the Raiders themselves, throughout my time playing the game I never felt that one character was stronger than the other (only that some were more effective than the other in certain situations) so I always found it rather odd that some were level restricted more harshly than others.

I understand that level restrictions can drive users to purchase XP boosters however, with the mention of adding level requirements to the missions themselves can be a good excuse to allow players to choose the Raider they wish to play as and not the one they are encouraged to play as.

The recruitment price of Raiders could be equal, rather than encouraging players to recruit Hans, then Dr Kuzman then Doldren then Hive etc. Don’t get me wrong, this is great for players who want to play those particular Raiders in that particular order or for people who don’t care who they play as but for newer players who want to play as a particular Raider (let’s just say Mikah) will be disappointed to know that the grind for that Raider wouldn’t have been so long if the raiders were priced evenly. However, doing this I imagine would bring the average price of a Raider to around 90K gold,  which is a tall order for any newcomer.

A “Raider Token” would fix this I think, the ability to recruit any Raider with a “token” of increasing cost after every use (first use costs 9000 gold, second use costs 15,000 gold etc) this will not only retain the systems current new player friendly approach but will allow the freedom of choice for other players to pick their most visually appealing hero.

I may hold an unpopular opinion here but the card system is my favourite part of the game, cards that can completely change how you play a raider, cover their weaknesses or further maximise their strength lies within this system but I feel this is held back by being a “non-profit slot machine” that uses up your Faction Points. I think that cards should individually cost a certain amount of Faction Points to acquire. I don’t mind the inclusion of its level restrictions, however I suspect the issue is the lack of incentives to farm Faction Points after obtaining what the player thinks is the best card for the Raider which could explain the inclusion of this functional slot machine.

I understand that Faction Points need a use but I don’t think this is a good way to utilise them. What makes this especially weird to talk about is the fact that I don’t really have a solution to the use of Faction Points. Perhaps I’m overthinking it, perhaps at that point the player should just move on to the next Raider?

Oh, a little thing about weapon farming (fighting over weapon blueprints shouldn’t be a thing) is that the affinity of some weapons do not match the method of farming. I find it pretty jarring to play as a Raider to acquire a weapon blueprint but be forced to play as an Antagonist just to build it (or vice versa).

TL;DR: Remove level restrictions from Raiders, Have a flexible unlock (Token System) instead of a semi-fixed unlocks, allow cards to be brought directly via Faction Points, find more uses for Faction Points, Weapon blueprints should not be fought over.

Overall I am looking forward to these new changes and I wish this game the best.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Re: In regards to the card system and recruiting new raiders
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:50:05 AM
These are some good ideas!

Audeoritas

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:37:29 AM
Man, these are fantastic ideas. I was wary at first but once I read your character coins thing I'm 100% on board.  Love that idea.

Strider

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:50:28 AM
I appreciate the kind feedback guys, thank you.  :)

I do want to post a follow up in regards to the use of Faction Points and it starts with the card system.

When I look at the selection of cards available, the game allows 2 cards at any one time.

- Faction Specific Cards

- Raider Specific Cards

However, I can see a third selection of cards being created for the Raiders’ weapons (weapon specific cards). There are quite a few cards already dedicated to the weapons themselves and I don’t see them conflicting or stacking with any of the former 2 types to create any overpowering combinations I know of. Of course certain weapons come into mind... but I trust they would be balanced accordingly as time goes on.

I would be worried about furthering the power gap between veterans and newer players, but between the existence of “passive skills” available to higher level players and the (primarily) PvE nature of this game, I’m not entirely sure what MurcurySteam’s (or the community’s) stance on this would be.

I’ve noticed a lot of cards have a “Rare” (More powerful) version of themselves which makes the weaker variant much less attractive, especially if you meet the level requirements nessesary to farm the rare variant.

Perhaps a solution to this is to make these cards upgradeable via Faction Points, give each card 3 levels, the third level being it’s “rare” variant. Between these 2 ideas, I imagine the amount of Faction Points necessary for each Raider would increase while allowing the freedom of choice to pick any card a player would wish to have without the need of a RNG system.

Another note about forging weapons is that I cannot see the weapons’ stats as I am forging it (ammo capacity, reload time, base critical chance, base damage etc) This is strange because the game is asking me to upgrade a weapon I have never tried before. For example the “Arsenal” upgrade option (ability to add more bullets into a magazine) would be far more useful on a hard hitting weapon but you wouldn’t know how hard a weapon hits until you have tried it.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:08:18 AM
Agreed, when I first saw the % xp boosts for Hades I thought they were ways to upgrade cards. Having a way to take a common card into a rare variant that does not involve RNG would be incredibly welcome, as currently card rolling is this game's version of RNG slot machines/loot box mentality. There's roughly 50 cards per faction/character card type, broken up between raider/antag, but there are 5 variants of EVERY card (0% 5% 10% 15% 20%) so the rolls are actually very muddled right now :(