Author Topic: Big list of what is wrong with this game.  (Read 7721 times)

ElvenNeko

• View Profile
Big list of what is wrong with this game.
on: May 28, 2018, 01:05:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, i don't hate the game itsef. It has great visual style, great idea, combat, animations, voice acting, etc... But it feels like the entire game design exist just to torture players and to be anti-fun in all possible ways. It's even worse than dbd, but let's rewiev it step by step:

1) First that gets noticable - is progression system. Each new level increases all of your stats, eventually creating huge gap between players. So if you face lvl150-200 with lvl10 - you can just afk, nothing will change - your bullets are not doing damage, your hits - either, and he will instantly down you in most situations.

Why this system exists? To give expirienced players chance to grief newbies? This is the only thing it does to the game.

Also, since you can pay for credits with real money, and then buy xp boosters with them - game can be concidered as p2p, since you can grind your invincible status much faster with boosters.

And, of course, if you leave game instead of playing spawn-die "fun" - games says "nono, you must entertain them or you will be punished". And, of course, you can't see your opponent's level and map when you play as antag before you decide to accept the game, because developers want you to join all the unfair fights and suffer there.

This alone is already a good enough reason to uninstall and forget about this nightmare, but let's continue.

2) If having a stat advantage is not making game easy enough for high-leveled players, they alsy can draw a powerful level-locked cards that also giving them more abilities to dominate those who don't have the cards. I have nothing more to add here, seems like "grow big, grief newbies" is a motto of this game.

3) Grind wall. So you want to try new characters? Grind dozens of missions until you have enough gold. You want the card? Grind archetype, grind fraction points, and then prey you will get the right card with max stats. Want weapon? Pure random. You can play mission 20+ times and never see right bp. And when you finally do - someone else can randomly take it away. Ffs, you can't even read the lore without paying for it!

I could understand this shit if it was some corean f2p trash. But people are suposed to pay for the game, and then face a grind wall that also gives godlike advantages on other players? Seriously?

Look at how the proper games in the genre do. Take left 4 dead 2 - it had more maps (with more variety) on the start, and FREE addons later, while also featuring ZERO grind and advantages over other players. That's why it still played so many years after the release, and this game won't survive another year.

4) Disballanced weapons. So you finally grinded them? Well, now press your kill button, like here - https://www.raidersofthebrokenplanet.com/community/index.php?topic=1553.0

5) Shitty antagonist system. Unless it's an overpowered high-level with some op gun squashing newbies, antag exists just like a beating guy. All that raiders need to do - is stay in group, and they win: you can't outshoot 4 guns, and even if you will be lucky enough to take anyone down from the ambush, others will instantly spam melee attacks and grabs on you, not letting any chance to escape of fight back. Mobs? They become totaly worthless when antag joins the game. When raiders see the antag - they rush to him trough entire map, simply ignoring all the mobs like they do not exist. Antag is alone against 4 people, and even if they all have less skill - they will still farm him as long as they stay close. Levels are usually tiny arenas, that allowing raiders to camp antag's spawn points (why they not spread across the map, allowing him to spawn anywhere?), but even if they do not - they don't have any reasons to split, they are always close enough to cover each other, making any attack on them a useles task since npc's can't even get their attention, not even telling about doing some damage. No, there is some attempts to split them, like engineers, or mining pods that must be filled with alepth whie other destroy them - but the maps is so tiny that raiders simply doing objectives one by one instead of splitting, being perfectly safe from any possible attack.

Main feature of the game is simply broken, and dev's never did even a slight attempt to change how it works.

6) Lag. P2P is not a good thing for the multiplayer games. People teleporting, turning lagswitches to grap people who are punshing them, attack when you are in cover, punch without ability to avoid punch, etc. This can't be called a fair game if so many players using lag to their advantage.

7) Matchmaking and reward system. Player left the game? Resstart almost complete level! And no bonuses for you, even if two players leave the game for good - system not only not letting someone new to connect instead (and have additional rewards for joining mid-fight), but even not making game either easier or more rewaring for those who must endure it with half of the team. End-mission counter is kind of a trash too, it punishes raider who actually had a hard fight with the antag and rewards those who sepeedrun against afk antag, also it punishes antag for keeping raiders in game for long, and completly destroys his rating if raider team win (and with current ballance it's almost impossible for them to lose). No matter how good are you player or how many you killed - you lost, you suck!

And i didn't even mentioned lesser problems, like staying without ammo and without enemies to get it from, objectives that hardly can be completed by certain characters, low amount of content and only small variations in some missions, making game very repetitive.

So, in general: you join the game, getting beaten by invincible grinders with op guns, see how useles are some of your basic weapons to do some objectives (just because), see the giant grind wall between any unlock, see how weak and useles antag is, see how people with lag are the best, realize that the game is 95% suffering from all those issues combine, and you leave. It feels like game designer secretly hates humanity, and designed the game with this amount of suffering on purpose, while also letting a small amount of people, those who having fun from beating deffenceless opponents (yes, i saw a lot of them - lvl200 guys who spam emotes while being shot, enjoying their god modes) to be the torturers. So it's the game for those kind of guys? Or what is the resons for all this game design choices, mr. designer? Oh well, he probably can't even explain it, and this game will most likely be remembered just as "perfect example of how online pvp games should not look like".  This is sad, because i see how much effort other people in the team put into this game. It's a real shame that all their work are nullified by just one guy...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:18:02 PM by ElvenNeko »

ElvenNeko

• View Profile
Re: Big list of what is wrong with this game.
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:33:40 PM
The only thing I disagree with you on is the voice acking, it can get pretty poor at times.

Idk, i find the accents funny. Take short-fused, for example:

"one of the General Marmelades leFtenants" (what's left of his lieutenants?)

"it's gonna be a WRong fucking day" (yeah, for sure!)

Also Konstantin perfectly fakes russian accent, 100% stereotypic, but in good way, it fits his personality pretty well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:35:22 PM by ElvenNeko »

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:55 PM
So about 1 & 2:

There are only 3 stats: armor to take less damage from player shots, Resistance to take less damage from melee strikes (but it DOES have a minimum, punches won't do less than 40 damage), and brute force to deal more strike damage to everything.

So a high level player would take less shot damage and deal more strike damage, but they can still definitely die. Characters like Harec, Shae, Doldren, Lycus, Ginebra, can still 1-shot players very easily despite a level difference. It also depends on who they use, since council already has natural armor, they will feel the toughest to kill. I rarely have people complain when they fight me as Hive or Hans because they still get turned into swiss cheese with concentrated fire. Raiders are set up to deal high damage because AI are bullet sponges, even if a player has armor they still take less shots to kill than an average Hades soldier with 300 health. Grabs still insta-kill and strikes aren't something to ignore either, they will still do a minimum of 40 base damage.

Higher leveled cards are not necessarily "better", this is a misconception that you are drawing on assuming higher level is always stronger. Before Hades cards didn't have level requirements, and after they did, some choices were odd.... like Loaht has a lv125 card that makes him take less damage from his own shots. This is a crappy card, and only saw a lot of use from players back when it was glitched, there's way better stuff for him that isn't lv 125. Konstantin starts with a card that reduces his bubble recharge, and with a boost, it charges in 8 seconds-- that's hardly "worse" than any of his lv68 cards. Before Hades added more cards, I used Hans' starting card that recharged his jetpack quicker, from the time I started playing until his jetpack was nerfed making me seek newer cards. Some of the most useful Local cards are Abnegation and Stoicism, which are available since the start or at lv12, I would argue are much better than their highest level card Lone Vigilante.

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:46:44 PM
I am getting tired of reading that lv10 players cant scratch the surface of a lv200 player. It is not true. A lv10 player may need that extra punch or extra bullet or two. Big deal. If you put 100 hours into a game and someone else put 3 hours in, why is it blowing some people's minds the lv200 might have a small advantage. People will complain about anything these days.

menguss70

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:29:41 AM
I am getting tired of reading that lv10 players cant scratch the surface of a lv200 player. It is not true. A lv10 player may need that extra punch or extra bullet or two. Big deal. If you put 100 hours into a game and someone else put 3 hours in, why is it blowing some people's minds the lv200 might have a small advantage. People will complain about anything these days.

Bravo!!...Confirm!! 

zMalevolencEz

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:20 AM
I agree with this. Regardless of level anyone can be taken down. Might take one person might take 4 but it can be done. No sense in punishing someone for playing the game and achieving that kind of rank. 100+ players are meant to be a challenge.

Whitebleidd

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 07:32:20 AM
OP I agree with you on all points except 2, not all cards unlocked at higher lvls are better but still not having the ability to shuffle cards will hurt lower lvl players undoubtedly, sadly there are even more issues with the “pvp” (many of them not necessarily related to player stats) that you will discover the further you get into the game, additionally in case you were not aware the stat advantage caps at lvl150.

In any pvp game the only advantage accumulated game hours should give a player is knowledge and experience.

Malk

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:32 AM
I think the progression system is fine. There's a lot of hyperbole to it, making you think you're completely out gunned but it's not that much of a difference.

The progression system is needed to deal with the increasing difficulty and strength of the AI in matches, which is synced to your MMR. I wouldn't want it to be stripped away and have weaker characters meanwhile the maps kick my ass 150 levels in.

ElvenNeko

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 06:16:11 PM
So a high level player would take less shot damage and deal more strike damage, but they can still definitely die.

From a grapple - maybe. But they will never allowe anyone to perform it on them. Also i fought lvl 2 and lvl 200+ Alicia. For lvl 2 it was enough to shoot around 3 grenades to the floor near her feet as Hans and she were out of hp already. On lvl200+ i shot two clips but haven't reduced her hp even to 50%.

Same expirience i had with other characters. It gets even worse if you fight your clone - for example, in Kuz vs Kuz fight player who has just a bit more stats will always reduce other player's hp first in a gunfight. So if you have that advantage - you don't even need a team, you can always win 1v1 with antag.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 06:23:18 PM
Don't fight an antag 1v1.   Teams of 2 is ideal for objective/runners.  And if one of your objectivers is sniper they can provide support.  Heavy/Sniper and Wardog/Hades is how you're wanting to see a team set up and paired off.

DON'T FIGHT AN ANTAG 1v1.  It derails the map 9 times out of ten.  cause even if they only win once every five respawns..that is still eating your lives.

ElvenNeko

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 09:45:36 PM
What if i am antag in this situation? And also they listened to your advice and fight all together. So i have just the same character as i have that can take me out 1v1 even without help, but he also backed up by other raiders. Now what?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 10:00:28 PM
What if i am antag in this situation? And also they listened to your advice and fight all together. So i have just the same character as i have that can take me out 1v1 even without help, but he also backed up by other raiders. Now what?

Well currently in the game if you are an antag who is vastly outleveled by the raider's average level then the AI become super soldiers and get 800 health and can one hit wound with melee and one shot any wounded character. So you would just AFK and let the AI win the game for you. Trust me, I've seen this happen.

ElvenNeko

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 02:13:01 PM
And what i seen is even low-level characters can simply ignore ai because it's dumb and weak. And what high-leveled character do? They don't even bother hiding behind the obstacles. They climb on the crate and stand there for entire match, not caring about ai presence at all, but in this situation all antag can do - is shoot them, because to go melee to have to climb up there. And as soon as you start shooting them they just turn around and kill you with one or two hits without even aiming. Or chase and melee you because they can endure enormous amount of melee hits, while you die from second one. After they return to the crate and climb up again to stand there and completly ignore ai that poses zero threat to them.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 06:56:58 PM
You are correct, there are games when the Antag is super high level compared to the raiders and the AI is made out of butter and hit like kittens. It's cuts both ways.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:53 PM
It may come to a point where they just hide levels like they did ranks once upon a time. My only input is to let us see Cards/Forge of at least our teammates if not everyone. If there is a hyperbole than fine... at least show Cards that absolutely do make a huge difference. Your example of bullet sponge players actually might have more to do with what Cards they ran. However, if you cannot see it how would you ever know it was a contributing factor? This leads you naturally to believe it's entirely level and it's a lesser discussed but definite problem with the system itself is the perception it causes because all you 'see' is level.