Author Topic: Fan Made Games (Maybe I Made One)  (Read 13527 times)

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Fan Made Games (Maybe I Made One)
on: January 24, 2019, 02:58:08 PM
I'm not sure where Mercury Steam falls on fan made content that is an actual game. I've been working on something in my spare spare time and it's well... more than half done and all I'm doing now is just adding complexity and polish. Originally, I was going to output it in a html5 format so anyone with a compatible device/browser could try it but I... uh... lack the files to do that. Ultimately, I just wanted to get it out there so more people might starting asking... hey what's this about and start actually looking at this game instead of I don't know... Black Ops... Thoughts on any of this, ideas, and questions are welcome.

Lancer

• "Do what you will, you'll do it anyway"
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Made Games (Maybe I Made One)
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:33:46 PM
yes, people have been saying for months how a subpar fan-made game would definitely be just the thing to get spacelords on the map

i sure wish MSE would do something to promote this game, like hiring a high profile talent for a new character or release videos on youtube or have social media outlets or get a story in a gaming magazine or...

whats that? they've done all that? well, this fan-made game is sure to be the winner

can't wait to play it in my browser
why you gotta be mean for? If they wanna make a browser game let them.

Placelord

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:23:35 PM
Right on, what's your idea? Or at least how does it relate to spacelords?

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:11:46 AM
Haha, I was prepared for a liberal amount of toxic nonsense. As to your question Placelord, it's dealing with Hans and a dream he has about Wardogs. I will likely do them all as dream sequences to keep it light and I always liked the idea of them fantasizing in their own ways. This is just something I'm doing for my own reasons and it's frankly been too long since I messed with any of my own projects instead of just supporting the younger more vibrant individuals in the community.

Dr.Kuzie

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:45:44 PM
I'm sure that you can do something special. Probably more lore related than the game itself (always happens with personal projects). Go for it and don't pay attention to any toxic comment here.

Bear in mind, do it four yourself because its for you and you are going to have fun making it, not because Spacelords needs more players or anything.

Uh, ok.

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 02:11:40 PM
...it's dealing with Hans and a dream he has about Wardogs. I will likely do them all as dream sequences...

there is an incredible laziness that comes from setting a story in a dream

take for instance the fact that you no longer have to use logic to incorporate other characters into the story since it is a dream, you don't need to worry about that tricky thing called writing

nothing of any consequence can happen in a dream and so when those things do happen they lose all meaning because it is a dream

it is browser based, so we know the graphics won't be good, it is fan made so we know you won't have the resources to create compelling gameplay mechanics and we know it is in a dream so we know the story and adventures don't matter even in their own context

you may shrug off the only person telling you the truth(this is a huge waste of your time) as toxic nonsense but if you can't handle even one random critic then why even bother telling us publicly that you're making a game?

because you think doing any random thing and saying spacelords will get the community to give you the attention you seek? or because you actually want to make a quality game and are looking for insight on how that would be accepted by the community?

if it is the latter then you should have posted screenshots a trailer and explained the basics of the playstyle you wish to incorporate

if it is the former then you would just present us with whatever half baked idea you momentarily had an epiphany about and thought it would be cool to post that stroke of genius for all of us here, which..hmm

telling people their critique is nonsense sounds more like you're sad that not everyone bowed down to slob your knob because youre making a browser based game based loosely off characters from someone else's game and i just..woah, get over yourself dude

it is a shit idea and you don't need any special credentials to see that
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:26:28 PM by Uh, ok. »

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 06:08:50 AM
I'm sure that you can do something special. Probably more lore related than the game itself (always happens with personal projects). Go for it and don't pay attention to any toxic comment here.

Bear in mind, do it four yourself because its for you and you are going to have fun making it, not because Spacelords needs more players or anything.

I appreciate the sentiments and who knows how far I'll get with it. It's very likely I will be the only one messing with it for quite some time. As for more details, regarding Hans and the Wardogs we haven't at least 'yet' seen him use that sword of his though it's part of his lore. So his fantasy/dream involves him slicing bullets as they're coming at him.

I was thinking of doing Alicia and Ginebra as well but unlike Hans I don't have even a scrap of anything going for them yet. Just throwing something together is actually a lot more time consuming than I'd like to admit. This isn't some grand gesture it's just me mentioning it to see if anyone here wants to discuss it and what kind of discussion that might be.

I'm not completely ignoring you Uh, ok I read your words and they're very colorful!

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 08:49:45 AM
Metal Gear Hans: Cookvengence

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:18:06 PM
Metal Gear Hans: Cookvengence

This does make me think it should have been food attacking him instead... I will consider this instead of bullets he's slicing. I'm not satisfied with the current graphic anyways. Maybe they'll be Qualephs if I really want to meme it up. Also, he doesn't actually use his sword, he just makes the motion as if he's drawing the sword. I'll have a second video up too soon and I guess I'll put moderation on or comments off...

Uh, ok.

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 01:09:25 AM
I'll have a second video up too soon and I guess I'll put moderation on or comments off...
Hahaha, rekt.

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:22 AM
Thanks again Draco that's a fun idea you had and I am going to find a way to incorporate it into what I've already got. I'm going to class this as a passion project of a... passion project. We're really going off that reservation now!

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 11:14:13 AM
Hi guys,

We wanted you to know we have banned the user "Uk, ok" for a week due to toxic comments and bullying since we don't tolerate inappropiate behaviours on the official forum.

By the way, thank you very much for always being constructive, guys. Your idea sounds amazing, Quanrian! ;)

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44:43 PM
Hi guys,

We wanted you to know we have banned the user "Uk, ok" for a week due to toxic comments and bullying since we don't tolerate inappropiate behaviours on the official forum.

By the way, thank you very much for always being constructive, guys. Your idea sounds amazing, Quanrian! ;)

It's a work in a progress... I know all too well how much time can go into the process and I'm rusty as they come even if I am using what should be a very simple tool. I'm also a bit limited on time so I've got to shoehorn it in between my day job and the streaming so... I don't want to promise anything quick but at least I got Hans to a playable state, enough so I can start looking at making some changes. Thanks again Draco, that was pretty much what I was looking for as it set off sparks in my dusty brain! Now to get the body to follow the dusty brain!

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 12:23:37 AM
Sorry for the double post. Here's the two development videos I've got up now. Keep in mind I can't just move video from Twitch (where I record) to YouTube where they are now due to... contractual obligations I try to follow.

Dev Video 1 https://youtu.be/XUV_ofAJ3Yg

Dev Video 2 https://youtu.be/vzrcpjLI-Lw

More to come later as I will try to prototype Alicia's gameplay soon but video will always come first in Twitch, then in YouTube a day or so later. Also, my apologies but I cannot dedicate my full time to this so I will only be working on it intermittently. Lastly, I have not implemented your idea yet in the form of Qualephs yet Draco but it's in my plans!