Author Topic: Free Campaigns  (Read 16134 times)

Vector

• View Profile
Free Campaigns
on: May 23, 2018, 08:32:46 PM
So, i got the Ultimate Edition for 65 dollars about a month ago before it went away. I understand that i got the value of the 5 skins, but the biggest draw was getting the added value if the campaigns. If you give all three campaigns away for free a month later, then how is that even remotely a fair thing to do ?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Free Campaigns
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:08 PM
Dude, we need new players. With one free level a week we can draw in new players. They need to see what the game has to offer. Hanging by a Thread won't cut it. It's usually only ONE of the first missions of a campaign and rarely the second.

XjabberwockieX

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02:28 PM
Got to agree with Vector on this one Drow. The move will understandably bring in some new players but it certainly doesnt make those of us that shelled out the cash for Founders or Ultimate Edition feel that great about the decision to hand it out for nothing. If your going to do something like this Mercury Steam please try and keep the people who have been there since the beginning in mind too. I would love to recieve something unique that shows your appreciation to the players that put actual moneyinto this great game.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:45:36 AM
I've bought my fair share of indie games that then go on massive sale or even free on PS+ within the next month or two. It happened with Abzu, Bound, Journey, The Mummy, Deus Ex, etc. These things happen. It's a bummer, but at least I supported something that I like.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:56:31 AM
Right? I don't regret the $60. I also don't mind the free stages, this allows my friends who haven't bought the game to play on maps other than Hanging by a Thread.

EDIT: Also, think of the people who decided to buy the game after experiencing more than one map.

Eliakin

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:06:00 AM
I do not see problem in putting the game for free, but the big problem is not in the price but in the system of the game itself that is bad and even more with its focus being multiplayer.

With game being for free a lot of players will want to play all campaigns to see how the game works (currently in steam has more than 300 players), as soon as 48 hours pass, players will see how the game system is bad and will give up, that is, we will continue in the same situation as before with the very small number of players.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:34:13 AM by Eliakin »

B30

• I stopped playing
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:07 AM
… It's a bummer, but at least I supported something that I like.

Exactly - ROTBP is a great game (of course it has a few flaws), but ultimately I received amazing value for my money, and I don't regret any money I spent on this game.

Vector

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 05:16:53 AM
I understand that subjectively people assign value very differently, but part of the Ultimate Edition Bundle was that you recieve all of the campaigns for free contingent upon your purchase. If the campaigns were going to be free anyway, then i simply bought 5 skins for 65 dollars which completely alters the structure of the agreement. For a moment try not to purely think of what you've experienced, take into account what was objectively done. The Final campaign has not even been released , the promise of the season pass has not even delivered. How is this fair treatment ? Imagine pre-ordering a game for 60 dollars only for it to be free a month later , then imagine people telling you that the month of play time was well worth the money.

Imperium

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:28:44 AM
I understand the need for a playerbase boost, but for people who literally bought the bundles a week or so ago this feels like pulling a fast one.

Considering I have the damn game on Steam, I basically wasted money on the campaigns when I could have gotten all that shit for free or bought some fucking skins.

The move is especially bad when you sell these $65 packs, then we're told to buy them up quick because they're only available for a limited time, then the DLC goes free.

Derclaw

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:40:45 AM
Its still a huge middle finger to anyone who bought founder pack. I mean if game wont go down in few month for good - I will be amazed, cause by how it looks - they want last ditch push for some money from new players who are unaware of how effed up development here is.

Oxnardo

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:25:50 AM
Yes they should give the players who bought the game prior to the giveaway some sort of limited edition prize. I mean it's clearly unfair for them!

They should come up with something to favor both free players, new players and purchaser players.

So if you don't have the game you can grab it for free these two days, but if you already have it they could give you some courtesy key to get some free skins or free future content or something.

Black_Adder_

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 10:09:09 AM
They are not free forever, just for 48 hours.
You can always wait 2-3 or more years for any game to become free or almost free during some massive sale, but I don't think any of you are ready to do that.

Vector

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 03:00:57 PM
This is actually one of the most insidious things i've ever seen done, i think you are not taking into account the specific time frames, the season pass that hasn't been released, and the implication for the future. This is not comparable to content going on sale after a year of two of its full release , they admittedly just recently exited the beta stage like a month ago. Everyones purple tickets and the bonuses that come with it are completely invalidated. This is a beautiful and fun game but this is unacceptable.

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 03:48:14 PM
I also gotta agree that they should give something to the people that actually payed for the game. Because this is kinda a slap to the face to the earlier PC supporters that stuck through the game through thick and thin. A one year exclusive anniversary skin for people that bought the game prior to this offer (founder or the 65$ dollar bundle) or a ticket that lets you get one skin for free would be nice. I understand why they did this because frankly the PC player base was catatonic but at the same time you have to show some level of appreciation for the people that came before.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:51:18 PM by Power Penguin »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 06:45:43 PM
It's only for 48 hours. Calm down.