Author Topic: New Weapon Wednesday  (Read 6426 times)

BeertheBrad

• View Profile
New Weapon Wednesday
on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:44 PM
Wonder who will get the next new weapon? Who is due?
Ginebra? Possibly... she does have 2 really decent choices though
H.I.V.E? Same here too.... She needs another skin though, nothing to discount.
Loaht? Poor Loaht, he is almost unplayable. He definitely needs something.
Doldren? Yeah his starter is about it. He too could use an upgrade.
Iune? Can you possibly produce a gun that could pull BrentWoody from his Sigh obsession.... yeah I don't think so.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Re: New Weapon Wednesday
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:09 PM
Loaht is in dire need of a more functional and practical weapon, or his current ones tweaked/buffed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim he is currently a liability in every single mission...

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:50:20 PM
Loaht is in dire need of a more functional and practical weapon, or his current ones tweaked/buffed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim he is currently a liability in every single mission...

Agreed! His special could use a little love, or some better cards. The rare weapon, Bubblegum, is very hard to use and doesn't do enough damage for it's RoF. Popcorns seem to be what most people use.

Loaht was my favorite character when I irst played this game. But as I learned more I realized the same thing you did.

What would you change about him?

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:07:15 PM
The top change he needs is by default or by card, his grenades need to explode on impact. It's SILLY that he has 2 cards dedicated to making his projectiles take longer to explode or bounce more, both of which will make them harder to land hits than it already is. I spend most of my time with popcorns shooting right at my feet hoping to hit someone right in front of my face. Since his beast nerf I can't run more than 15 meters without running out of meter, which takes only about 2-3 seconds.

And yeah bubble gum does awful damage for how difficult it is to use. I am not seeing the reason for it getting nerfed, it didn't seem to be a meta weapon in any capacity other than self-damage for the old infinite-beast glitch, but it wasn't even required for that it was just convenient.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:34:48 PM
I would increase the AoE damage on Bubblegum. I notice that it has a TINY blast radius. I think this would make the gun viable again. For Loaht himself, I would do a blanket buff to his enrage time, that's all. Make it last a little longer, it's WAY too short as it is, considering the bilitiy is rare enough, there have been many games where I didn't even use it for various reasons, dying too often, not the right moment, etc... In my opinion this would fix him to be a good baseline character.

Changing gears: I saw your video on Bloody Mary, 105 damage on head shot, LOL. You should see what happenes when you use the faction cards that increase you damage after 5 to 10 seconds (there are two card) up to 30% damage I think, and then his character card that also increases damage of his gun after he materializes.

I tried using this gun, and I completely admit I suck with it. But for someone who is good with it and has these card, can you imagine the horror they would be to players as an antag?

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:41:41 PM
It shoots too slowly too compete with the kills per second with his first gun.  His first gun can 1 shot everyone with base health except fifth council, even with 30% extra damage means you're still taking two shots (WITH HUGE DELAY BETWEEN SHOTS) to kill hades.  And that's only with the Headshot/timing. 

It might be better with PC where aiming is significantly easier, but I still can't justify using it over the first.  And spawning close to shoot five bullets and kill four players is going to be a trial, and they get to shoot back between my shots?  It's just too much risk without the reward necessary. His first gun can get three kills with three bullets, and allow space for the reload cards.  180 Damage headshots just outshines it. Hell, he can even cap fifth council if you're head popping. 

Not worth it!

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:47:00 PM
Even with all the faction cards running, you get up to about where the first gun is...And at that point it might be worthwhile.  You just can't miss, and have to line up very quickly.  Which is doable, but not reliable.  I mean, in all my antag missions I've been seeing three fifth council and a warm hans. So...The melee build seems to be good.  Patience/Reborn, use your gun to clean up if they're preventing the close. 

I agree, its worth playing with, and you could use it effectively, for a couple of spawns.  You can't run invocation so you've a very limited area of spawning.  And once GOOD players start to recognize it then they'll shoot you real quick. 

Doldren wipes new players already.  He's okay against better players. But, once a good player knows what you're doing you've got to spring at the right moments.  And those right moments, are usually going to do better in melee and have the threat of the headshot on the first gun.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:34:10 PM
lol kinda got off topic here :P

Yeah Bloody Mary's damage and fire rate are too low and range too short to justify the difficulty of timing and lining up the perfect shot in a chaotic dynamic situation full of fast moving enemies that are shooting you to death, when compared to his first high damage gun that doesn't need to be timed and will do way more damage. Even with a max damage shot he takes 2 shots to kill a regular wardog, the weakest enemy in the game. Probably takes 3 if not 4 to kill a Hades grunt in co-op, haven't tested it against them yet. And even solo easy mode 5th council need 2 shots. I'm gonna keep it equipped and see if I can't make it work for the rare times I do play him, but it's just too gimmicky and very easy to miss those perfect headshots. I don't wanna use his bonus shot damage cards since that will sacrifice something better, like survivability or melee effectiveness or team buff/enemy debuff, all of which I consider more valuable.

His value in pvp is a moot point if he doesn't work against pve, since this is primarily a pve game where he will need to be shooting way more AI grunts than he will other players. Against antagonist Doldrens, which are pretty rare to begin with, my counter is.... just shoot him, I think he's allergic to bullets ;) but seriously who cares if he can 1-shot every raider in the game if he has to be up close to do it with perfect conditions? Harec can make those 1-shot kills from any distance, anywhere on the map, with a lot less danger to himself. And he has cards to buff his melee? Harec has better melee buff cards and can do way more strike damage. Harec's Executioner build makes him not only more dangerous than a melee Doldren, but with an aleph boost it becomes deadly and will 1-punch everything in the game.
Doldren is an interesting concept but his alien health is his biggest weakness, which would be fine, but the AI's perfect counter against his teleports makes him a bad pick in most situations. I personally place Doldren firmly in the "support" category.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:40:20 PM by LordDraco3 »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 12:00:14 AM
You NAILED it. The AI make him useless. I've materialized behind elites with a hallow red triangle and a solid yellow only to have them turn around and punch me and kill me. I think Doldren's REAL value is anti-antag, and antag-harass. I have had the most success focusing an antag while the rest of the team do the mission, that's IF the rest of the team aren't level zeroes.

I had a game on In Shock and it was me, Doldren, with a bunch of level 0s against Alma, i think level 16-18 antag? And I was getting him a lot, but the others just fed. Man I was so angry with them, because I was actually doing really well against him.

With my limited skill and experience I've noticed he is VERY poor, one of the worst characters, in a game with no antag. He really doesn't offer much. I pick him when I think there is a probability there will be an antag, like in Hangeing by a Thread, In Shock, and Short Fused (the antag cesspools as I unfondly call them) and when there is an antag, he is an asset, but when there isn't, he hurts the team.

BeertheBrad

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 07:32:19 PM
Yeah the fact that NPCs can see Doldren in astral form sounds like a bug. It completely defeats the purpose of his special. He would be #2 on worst characters(sorry Loaht, I know it isn't your fault)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:51 PM
Yeah the fact that NPCs can see Doldren in astral form sounds like a bug. It completely defeats the purpose of his special. He would be #2 on worst characters(sorry Loaht, I know it isn't your fault)

Even if I were to give them the RED hollow triangle signifying they "know I'm there but aren't focused on me", this is meant to simulate a player. I'm across the entire MAP, the elite is in the midst of frenzied combat dodging my allies bullets, calling out commands, perhaps dodging and somehow they're glued to my body all the way across the map? Not even a PLAYER can do this, lat alone react with lightning reflexes the millisecond i materialize. Sorry, beating a dead horse.

BeertheBrad

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:44 PM
Wednesday came and went, no new weapon and no skin discount. :-(

alfredoluis

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:11 AM
I would like to see loaht get a weapon that has better range, maybe  a semi auto rifle 10 round magazine of HE rounds? or full auto with a slow firing rate. I like him as a character but he really is a tough guy to have on the team and not in a good way.