Author Topic: Mooks, Minions and Grunts: Suggestions  (Read 2064 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Mooks, Minions and Grunts: Suggestions
on: March 14, 2018, 01:38:59 AM
I think there needs to be some improvements on the Mooks, Grunts, and Minions on the game. There are a few problems with them right now that exist that feel unfun, unfair or inconsistent.

A) Chain Melee CC: At medium to high difficulty they can chain melee you to death. When you are melee attached by a minion AI it isn't the same as when you are hit by an Elite AI. Elites follow the rules of CQC, like players do, which means that IN THE MIDDLE of being melee attacked you can roll to escape. Mooks, or the minions, are different. THEY can roll out of YOUR melee attack, but if they melee attack YOU you are damaged (of course) but also CCed (crowd controlled, effectively stunned for a second) , AND they can chain this and melee again BEFORE you can recover and you cannot roll out of it. Sometimes mooks will kick, kick, kick all while moving forward and then you die. And the whole time you can't do ANYTHING. You can at least roll out of an elite's melee. Why would mooks be STRONGER than enemy players and elites?

Suggestion to fix: Make melee attacks for minions slower so you CAN dodge after the first hit in the event that they are right up in your face, or make it so you are immune a second after the first hit so you can roll, OR you can make the CC stun effect you get when melee attacked by a mook shorter (but they chain pretty fast). I don't know which one of these solutions would be the best, some of them I can see creating other ridiculous issues, but something has to change.

B) Mook attack priority: This may be a lag or server issue but I often go to attack a mook and he instead punches me instead, even though I punched before him.

Suggestion: Simply prioritize the players attack over the mook if they're done at the same time. The raider characters are the heroes and are unique badasses and should have priority over a mook, let alone a mook not being able to cancel my punch with his.

C) Damage: Is it me or do the mooks do MORE damage than the heroes AND elites with their melee attacks? Mooks will often only have to him me twice, maybe three times on a 100 health hero to wound me, while elites and other heroes have to hit me 4 times on average. Why are mooks 2 shotting with their kicks? With mooks this tough I would imagine they wouldn't take orders from the elites.

Suggestion: Reduce the damage to the level that players follow. Or make the mooks attack much slower if you aren't going to reduce the damage.

D) Those cheap ass shotguns: In the game mooks can CC stun you with their shot guns, and at a FAR distance. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Alicia and Lycus cannot stun, let alone chain stun, with their shot guns. I can sort of understand this at close range, but across the map a mook fires his shot fun from far away and I get staggered, stunned for a second. So Harec or an Elite's flack gun or sniper shooting me for 80 points of damage doesn't sun me, but a mook firing bird shot for 30 makes me get knocked back? This is unfun, silly and annoying. Heck, this makes me wonder why the elites aren't able to do this.

Suggestion: Keep this for close range only. It's silly to be chain stunned from 80 feet away by 2 or 3 hallow ones walking towards you. Or at least keep the far distant shot gun stuns for much higher difficulties, like 50% or higher.

Closing: Mooks, minions and grunts should never be tougher than an elite or player in terms of technical capability. They should, at the very least, be bound by the same rules the players, and in this case elites, are bound to. Currently the mooks can do things that both players and elites cannot, and it feels unfun and un-heroic to be soloed by a mook, even in higher difficulties. Mooks should be the fun thing you kill a lot of, the cannon fodder, the reason why your character is supposed to be awesome. They should't be able to chain stun, chain melee or beat your punch with theirs.

EDIT: If anyone else wants to add your two cents please do. I want to hear what ideas you could have to fix the minions/mooks/grunts.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:06:59 AM by Level9Drow »