Author Topic: Rewards  (Read 6635 times)

dicjones

• View Profile
Rewards
on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:12 PM
Ok, I downloaded this game when it first came out. I saw some great potential. There was a lot to like about the game. I spent some money on it because I wanted to support it. But, in the grand scheme of things with my gaming library, it wasn’t getting played for one reason or another, mostly because of ffxiv. A few days ago I decided to check up on the development and see how far it had come. I was quickly reminded of all the things I loved about the game, but also all the aches and pains. Despite that and not really having played the game much, I bought the latest campaign, again because I feel like this game is worth continued development and I want to try and help. I am going to try and stick with it this time, because money will only go so far in helping it’s development. I just recently finished a couple co-op scenarios. The first had no blueprint, so I chose one of the “monetary” rewards. Second scenario had a blueprint. Myself and another player chose it. I thought, great! My first blueprint. Uh yeah, not so fast. There is another random mechanic, the blueprint coin flip between players. Of course he got it. My rewards for my work...zilch. I’m fine with the blueprint coin flip between players...at least so far. My concern is my half hour of gaming got me nothing. I waited 10 minutes for the match, then another 20 of “playtime”. If the Destiny/Warframe debate taught anybody anything it’s that in games where you earn currency or crafting components to make other items, you need to reward players every time. I suggest that there is a minimum gold reward for each scenario. Maybe the solo easy reward. Then in the rewards screen you can choose additional rewards. Whether that’s more gold, character points, faction points or blueprints. This way if you go for the blueprint and lose out, you,’ve still earned some gold to progress to unlocking another item. Plus, really, you shouldn’t be accidentally encouraging players to play solo missions by guaranteeing a reward there and not in multiplayer. I feel like if people continually feel their time spent is not valuable they will leave. Especially with games like Monster Hunter World out there that do a really, really good job of rewarding time spent. The pull to those games will be much stronger than to raiders. Anyway, thanks for what you do.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Re: Rewards
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:04:19 AM
That is a giant wall of text... This is going to sound absolutely banal but all the things you collect don't nearly compare to experience. I actually almost don't care anymore what I get because I'm more interested in figuring things out and 'that' is what makes my time worth it. Again, I doubt this applies to anyone else but the whole chasing the dragon thing... where you just keep dropping bread crumbs to keep people playing is actually 'why' I stopped playing Warframe... it was endless and sometimes absolutely nonsensical the random junk I had to collect in the hope it amounted to something. So from my perspective, thank god I don't have to go through all kinds of inventory searching and sorting and figuring out what bauble I need to make my next thing-a-ma-jig because it had me spending more time in my ship then actually playing. Though in the end... we're all just chasing the dragon... but you never catch it do you?

dicjones

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:17:06 AM
I agree, if you get so much stuff to craft, like Warframe,  it becomes overwhelming. With Raiders, there isn’t so much stuff and not too many currencies so it’s much less frustrating to manage and much easier to keep your eye on the prize. The reason I think you need consistent rewards is because a big part of the gameplay variety right now is with the characters and their upgrades. And remember, the solo easy reward is 1500 gold. When you’ve got to get 120,000 gold to unlock some characters, I don’t think a little something every time is really going to hurt the balance of the game and will help keep people’s interest.  It would encourage me to spend money on Mercury too.

I was playing quake 3 arena back in the day, back when you just played for the fun of it. Of course everything was unlocked from the get go so the idea of grinding out trinkets or micro transactions wasn’t even a thought. So as far as I’m concerned if a game is fun, I’ll play it regardless. Right now for me, in Raiders, I’m not entirely thrilled with the mechanics of the 4 original heroes.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:21:21 AM
I'll always take an opportunity to +1 upvote that the coin flip with NO REWARD is the worst mechanic ever! If I wasn't stubborn I would have quit after the first game I played since I got nothing from this mechanic. The idea that rewards are shared and I can waste 20-30+ minutes is nuts.

But they are promising some big changes soon with Hades, so just gotta wait....

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 08:06:50 AM
If you think about how the Wild West was settled... basically by a bunch of stubborn people that were told it was suicidal... Well I guess we took more than just a branch off that tree! Ironically, with the coin spin you will find time makes it easier simply because the amount of people who don't have it shrinks. For me, almost all my blueprints were because either no one had the character or they already had it. Ergo, no coin flip... but I did get lucky a few times. Imagine what a Rat Race it would be if they stuck them in hidden chests instead?

dicjones

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:12:20 AM
I honestly don’t have a problem with the coin flip, but I’d like to see at least a gold consolation prize if nothing else. For a game that has the loot/skin carrot, giving nothing is counter productive to the success of the game, especially with the lack of choices in scenarios right now.

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:05:10 PM
Well more so than damning the end results it is more productive to perhaps have more variety within each Mission itself. For example, certain games provide additional challenges or custom arrangements of enemy spawns. We sort of have that now but it's very canned and not at like a random event. What if, for example... there were dust storms that affected visibility... even of Aleph when stressed or in contrary made everyone visible each time it occured. That's just one example but I'm sure if they put some thought into environmental events in the least they could definitely spice things up without having to add more enemies.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:29:59 PM
Coin Flip for blueprint should be in ADDITION to chosen currency rewards. There should NEVER be a situation in a modern game that you end up with ZERO rewards for time spent. Antagonist should get something, even when they lose (not sure what that is). And losers from Coin Flips should get something, preferably the currency they chose.

Listen it's ALREADY bad enough you have to roll against other players who are your "allies" or have others cut into your gold or card points. At least make it so at bare minimum you come back with something you can USE in the game and built towards.

And Q, don't give me this, "The experience should be the reward", this is a modern game and this is supposed to be electronic ENTERTAINMENT not a reflection of a Darwinistic existence of real life and work, war and politics. We play games to ESCAPE this, not relive it. Giving players some kind of reward for their time isn't a new or controversial concept in the modern gaming culture.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:43:35 AM
Coin Flip for blueprint should be in ADDITION to chosen currency rewards. There should NEVER be a situation in a modern game that you end up with ZERO rewards for time spent. Antagonist should get something, even when they lose (not sure what that is). And losers from Coin Flips should get something, preferably the currency they chose.

Definitely, said this so many times. I can only hope they already plan to fix this problem in whatever the big Hades update will bring.

dicjones

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:07:05 AM
Does anybody have a timeframe for when hades will release?

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 12:52:26 PM
Hi guys,

First o all, thank you very much for your feedback, it's being really helpful for the team. As you know, we are working on some major changes for the progression in Raiders of the Broken Planet, wich includes the reward system.

We hope these changes reflect many of your suggestions so, please, be patient. Thank you again for your support, you are contributing with the development of the game!

dicjones

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:24:02 PM
Thank you for responding! Much appreciated, keep up the great work!

Deetsitmeister

• har-at's my boy!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 03:30:03 AM
The changes to how the rewards are dished out at the end are exactly the same though....

You say this isn't a free to play game and yet it has a lot of free to play mechanics in it.