Author Topic: D&D Alignment in Spacelords: UPDATED  (Read 15803 times)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
D&D Alignment in Spacelords: UPDATED
on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:16 AM
So Doldren just came out today, and he's really frickin evil. It got me thinking of the other Raiders in the game. Those of you who are familiar with alignment (morale compass) and D&D don't need any introduction. Those who aren't familiar the alignment of a character is divided into two sides, Law and Chaos (which has nothing to do with good and evil) and then Good and Evil (which has nothing to do with Law or Chaos). Robin Hood would be considered Chaotic Good (CG) whereas Darth Vader would be considered Lawful Evil (LE). Just a bit of small context there.

Here's the simple breakdown of alignments:
Lawful Good (LG): Uses law and order to do good.
Neutral Good (NG):  Only concern is good.
Chaotic Good (CG): Is not bounded by law to do good.
Lawful Neutral (LN): Is only concerned with order.
Neutral (N): Balanced and unconcerned.
Chaotic Neutral (CN): Selfish and chaotic, not evil.
Lawful Evil (LE): Uses law to do evil.
Neutral Evil (NE): Only concerned with evil.
Chaotic Evil (CE): Does whatever evil they want any way they want to.

Here is the Wikipedia source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Here's what I think the alignment of the characters in RotBP are based on what story I've seen and read. Some of the characters I'm less clear on or are hard to know their motivations. I'd love to hear your opinion on their alignments.

Harec, Neutral Good (NG): Harec was willing to go against his culture's more peaceful tendencies to fight his evil. But despite this, the most aggressive plan he has is to teleport the humans away, not murder them.

Shae, Neutral Good (NG): Shae's situation is very similar to Harec. I know it would be cool if she was different, but as much as they argue their goals and morals align pretty close.

Doldren, Neutral Evil (NE): Doldren is a psychopathic assassin that was imprisoned by his own kind. Although he is evil he is willing to work with others and isn't too so chaotic that he can't cooperate, for now.

Iune, Chaotic Good (CG): Iune is clearly outside of the box and far from being normal, even among the Locals. But she is good, a very sweet, but odd and slightly insane. Because she is unorthodox but has a benign nature, albeit a bit crazy, she would be Chaotic Good in my book.

Alicia, Chaotic Good (CG): Alicia is hot tempered but believes in doing the right thing, if you see her comic you will see this. She doesn't care about laws or structure though and will do what she thinks is right regardless of them. Being from the Ubral Wardogs also means she would be chaotic, as they are not a well put together group and addicted to Aleph. UPDATE: Clone Alicia: we don't know much about her. But her dialogue is, so far, officially the same as Alicia. So despite her imprisonment with the 5th Council and torture and cybernetic implants she seems to be mentally the same as Alicia so far.

Loaht, Chaotic Neutral (CN): I wanted to think Loaht was Chaotic Good because of his personality, but he hasn't displayed enough story line that would make me believe he is truly good and not self serving and unconcerned. For now he is technically just Neutral, but I think he may be Chaotic Good like Alicia.

HIVE, Neutral (N): Hive is unconcerned with good or evil, just her babies. She clearly doesn't care about laws or the lack of them. I think she is true neutral. Harec gives her an opportunity for freedom. UPDATE: I think she is very accepting of Harec and surprisingly very friendly and conscientious when going over her dialogue in the game. Although not enough to be completely good, I would say she is further from being evil, despite her scary looks.

Rak Mayura, Neutral (N): Rak hasn't shown any particular aptitude towards evil intention, but also not good either. He seems to be with Harec out of necessity. He is pleasant enough, but so far I haven't heard or seen enough to know his deeper motivations. For now he is Neutral to me.

Lycus Dion, Chaotic Neutral (CN): Lycus is selfish, lawless, and doesn't care about doing good in the world, but isn't abjectly evil. He believes the world is already messed up and gets what he can out of it. He doesn't do anything for evils sake, but certainly not for good unless it profits him or if he gets a kick out of it. And he's a Czarnian.

Hans, Lawful Good (LG): Hans saved every member of his military group instead of sacrificing them in order to save the base he was stationed. He was honorably discharged, because of his great honor and willingness to sacrifice I now say he is lawful good. And he cooks really good, and that is automatically a good alignment.

Schneider, Laweful Evil (LE): Coming from an organized military group he has to be used to regimented rank and order and lifestyle. He also is a hacker which means he has a mind of numbers and calculations. But, he is very selfish, so selfish he doesn't care about others and, at times, takes pleasure in mocking people he tortures and fights against. If it wasn't for Mikah, Schneider wouldn't be with Harec. I say he is Lawful Evil.

Mika, Chaotic Good (CG): From her storyline so far we know  Mika is very good natured, doesn't like mean or nasty people, but steals and avoids the law. Even though it says she's from the Hades Division, she wasn't really "from" or "with" the Hades Devision. She was more of a stowaway who stole from them.

Aneska, Lawful ? (?): We don't have enough information on her just yet to  know. But she must be lawful coming from the military and being so high up the chain of command. The military isn't a place for chaotic people. Whether she is evil or neutral or not, highly unlikely to be good, we will have to wait for that day everyone is waiting for.

Konstantin, Lawful Good (LG): This honorable cyborg is clearly Lawful Good. He has a strong code of honor, is concerned with helping the week and fighting evil, to the point of self sacrifice. And his cyborg mind makes him very orderly and calculating. This is one of my favorite characters.

Dr.Kuzman, Lawful Evil (LE): Kuzman is clearly evil and works within the boundaries of the 5th council's laws, or did, as a meticulous calculating, but twisted, scientist. Although Harec has forced him to work with him, he is still Lawful Evil. Kuzman was the easiest alignment to guess. UPTATE: Both the clone and the "REAL" Kuzman, who is now captured anyways, are LE.

Ginebra, Neutral Good (NG): I would now say Ginebra is Neutral Good. When she attacked and severely wounded Konstantin, and when Konstantin, despite being near death and disarmed begged her to leave the locals alone and let them escape, this sparked something deep inside. This act of sacrifice moved her to emotions and this witness to an act of extreme good broke her mind free from the 5th Council's control. She was later helped by Konstantin to further this departure. Also, based on all of her dialogue, and she is my main so I know it all, she is genuinely a good person now, a bit shallow at times, but when things are serious she displays concern. She just uses her formal ruthlessness and cunning for fighting the enemy. The Council Apocalypse campaign also shows she has no love for the 5th Council anymore and is happy to fight them, unlike Kuzman who constantly laments doing missions against the 5th Council.

Valeria, Lawful Evil (LE): A rich selfish woman born form a rich and evil family who works within the 5th Council, she loves decapitating her enemies and using their heads to make more Hollow Ones, is vain and has modified her own body to the point of reflecting her own desires AND has Doldren's admiration. So yea, she's evil as hell. fitting into a figid hierarchy of a family dynasty and the ordered cyborg faction the 5th Council would place her as lawful, she operates within the bounds of her factions laws to do evil things that further her factions cause.

Cortez: OFFICIAL! Cortez is the Dungeon Master

General Marmalade, Neutral Evil: Marmalade is clearly evil, however he is willing to create a structured army to attain his goals, although this army is very rag tag. I place him about NE.

Uras Berit, Chaotic Evil (CE): This guy has no boundaries and is clearly a Lovecraftian entity. He is pure chaos with a large dash of evil.

The 5th Council, Lawful Neutral (LN): Although many would be inclined to say The 5th Council is Lawful Evil, I honestly believe he/she/them/IT is operating on cold calculating efficiency and order to only further it's own goals best. It has a great Hal reference from 2001 Space Odyssey, and I would place Hal the same alignment. I would also extend this alignment to all of the Nimrod brains as well.

I am looking forward to others opinions. Hope you enjoyed. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:23:11 AM by Level9Drow »

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Re: D&D Alignment in RotBP
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:15 AM
I'd call Harec and Shae chaotic good,  since they are operating outside of the status quo for their societal structure (which is "Law" in this regard.) They are willing to do "Lawful" things, but their motivation is the good without regard to the law at all.  Shae is probably closer to Neutral than Harec, but Harec is classic "I'm going to do my version of good here.  Everyone else can deal with that reality." Which is "True Good" or Chaotic Good.

Doldren seems Chaotic Evil. He's not stupid, his desire is to kill things for the sheer pleasure of it, and sparing six people he can kill hundreds...its just good business. 

Iune from her lore seems Neutral Good.  She explored time shifts through the Aleph Weaving, and once she met the ultimate evil was immediately convinced to fight against it and seek out Harec.  She'll probably shift towards Chaos as her insanity increases.

Lycus could very well be evil aligned. Saying "The world sucks, so if I enjoy killing these people doesn't make it much worse" doesn't justify the actions.  He kills people because its what he likes doing.

HIVE has a classic Lawful Good motivation.  She makes a martyr out of herself through self sacrifice and self denial in order to achieve peace and safety for her people.   The True Neutral could be argued since she's essentially a parasite druid. Hah.

PS: I'm always very amused that Chaotic Good is True Good and Lawful Evil is True Evil.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:16 AM
I agree with all of your amendments (HIVE? Lawful?) except Lycus Dion, I still think he's CN. He doesn't actively peruse evil, he's selfish and debaucherous for sure, even with a violent streak, but he doesn't have plans of evil.

But since we're talling about it, what do you think the alignments of the 3 protectors are? And how about Cortez?

It would be epic to hear from the developers!!

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 01:58:31 AM
A lot of their personalities come out through the voice lines in-mission, which are hard to keep track of sadly. I wish someone could compile a full list or sound bite compilations of everything that everyone says in the scenes.

Like Loaht talking about the protector "Grandpa's shield is up, we'll keep moving at his FUCKIN' turtley pace!"

Or Lycus when he restores the shield waiting for Coretez: "Hey Cortez, you comin' or do I have to kill ALL OF THEM?" or something like that. He also talks about eating people and I like his Breath of Hope lines calling the pillars "carousels"

And I love Hans talking about fatties and when he's starting Beast Lair. Teeth!

Iune's reply to Loaht when he is giving you his moonshine bomb is the best, it surprised me when I actually heard it.

BloodNekoKiux

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:21:00 PM

Cortez: You decide LOL

Cortez is the Dungeon Master. XD

MSE_Hellath

• PR Manager
  • MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:07:38 PM

Totally!

I wouldn't know where to position Mikah neither. She's joyful and friendly, but has a wicked side as seen in her comic:
https://www.raidersofthebrokenplanet.com/comic/mikah/
Poor Matias  :-[
This post is awsome, by the way! ;)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 02:10:49 AM

YES, this is so perfect! :D

ScreamingNoises

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 03:23:44 AM

Lawful Good (LG): Uses law and order to do good.
Neutral Good (NG):  Only concern is good.
Chaotic Good (CG): Is not bounded by law to do good.
Lawful Neutral (LN): Is only concerned with order.
Neutral (N): Balanced and unconcerned.
Chaotic Neutral (CN): Selfish and chaotic, not evil.
Lawful Evil (LE): Uses law to do evil.
Neutral Evil (NE): Only concerned with evil.
Chaotic Evil (CE): Does whatever evil they want any way they want to.

I think you've misunderstood the D&D alignment ideas.

"Good" and "Evil" are pretty nebulous terms, and in my experience it generally translates as "Good" meaning selfless and optimistic and "Evil" is selfish and cynical.

So I'd like to propose some of my own for debate.

Alien

Harec: Chaotic Good (CG)
While he ultimately wants to rid the planet of humans for the greater good (it will stop the fighting from all sides and allow his people some peace), he ultimately does this through means of chaos and with disregard to any standards he or his people hold. He works for the goal no matter what moral boundary he crosses (like recruiting psychopaths like Lycus and Dolren, or abusing the ancient powers of the protectors).

Shae: Lawful Neutral (LN)
Shae's motives are in line with Harec's for the most part, but Shae is guided more by her own code than Harec is by any, she cares more about upholding her people's traditions and her own personal code of conduct.

Doldren: Lawful Evil (LE)
Dolren is an interesting case, since from reading his Raiders Universe extracts, he is definitely evil both on moral grounds and in terms of D&D alignment definition. But he makes mention to following a particular set of "teachings", and that he only killed "low borns", indicating that while evil, he also has a code to follow and a method to his ways.

Iune: Neutral Good (NG)
So far the only Alien I would describe as truly good, she fights to stop Uras-Beherit, and can see beyond the "Humans vs us" narrative of Harec.

Wardogs

Alicia: Chaotic Good (CG)
Alicia is definitely Chaotic, she takes orders like a mormon takes liquor. Her motives lean good since she has shown to have moral boundaries (like getting Loaht some help after he OD'd on Aleph) and she definitely makes a case to have a good heart buried somewhere under there.

Loaht: Chaotic Neutral (CN)
Wew lad, Loaht maked Alicia look tame. Loaht's only real concerns are booze, explosives, Aleph, and preferrably alcohol-aleph explosive cocktails. Dude is hardline Chaotic, only reason he is aligned to the Raiders is they pulled him out of a losing battle and they owe him a house.

H.I.V.E.: Neutral Evil (NE)
I think Hive isn't so much aligned WITH the Raiders as she is aligned AGAINST the Wardogs, and by extension most of the humans. She only really seems to care about feeding her little ones and only hasn't gone for the team because they haven't gone for her.

Hades Division

Lycus Dion: Neutral Evil (NE)
Genuinely greedy. Genuinely terrible. Genuinely good-looking (ahem).
Lycus is Neutral, he doesn't care about law or chaos, he only really cares about getting paid. It seems like it wasn't always like this, maybe he'll change one day soon.

Hans: Lawful Good (LG)
Okay.
Wait.
Let me make my point first.
Hans is definitely selfless, he cares for his men and shows a deal of compassion more than most of the other Raiders. Not only that, but he's got a sense of duty the others don't. He keeps his word, and protects his friends.

Mikah: Neutral Evil (NE)
Another greedy "where is my end" one, she only really cares that SHE gets home, all the other stuff is just means to an end.

Fifth Council

Konstantin: Lawful Good (LG)
He turned his back on the Fifth Council, and has a sense of duty beyond any of the others, definitely the best example of a good guy in this game.

Dr. Kuzmann: Neutral Evil (NE)
Even though he shows a dedication to Fifth Council, his motivations seem to stem from wanting to be/remain immortal, and I would bet he'd screw the entire council if he could improve his inmortality tech.

Ginebra: Lawful Neutral (LN)
While she stopped taking orders from the Fifth Council, it seems to be because of something within her. It seems less like she doesn't care about doing good or being evil as much as she doesn subscribe to that sort of concept, she definitely follows her own individual ideals, whatever the case.

Bonus

Uras-Beherit: Chaotic Evil (CE)
Beherit is definitely the "destroy the universe" villain. Dude is crazy.

General Marmalade: Neutral Evil (NE)
Greedy, only really cares for himself. Fatboi.

Cortez: Neutral Good (NG)
Legitimately selfless, always props you up even if you score a 1.0 on the badass scale, willing to fly the entire length of the planet to find extra lives. The guy deserves a cold one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:31:11 AM by ScreamingNoises »

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:39:14 AM
Excellent list! Truely better than mine. You've convinced me of all but Mika and Hive, I think she would be CN. Selfish doesn't equate to evil. And I would say Hive is vengeful but not sadistic, I think she would be better fit as CN or N.

ScreamingNoises

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:12:49 PM
I only really know Mikah's story from the game lore files, so it's possible I missed something, but from what I can tell she seems like a selfish thief type, but I could see CN too.

Hive, again, I only see the stuff about her wanting to feed her red cloud of angry teeth. But I could concede that can fit into a true neutral thing too.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:19:06 AM
OK, we got new characters to add.

What alignment would Ayana, Schneider and Aneska be? Soon Rak Mayura will also have to be discussed. But what do you guys say for these three characters?

Shoggoth_Poot

• Eat it Raw!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 09:09:39 PM
Ayana - chaotic good rougue character. Will do anything (chaotic) to help her people (good).
Schneider - hmmm...maybe Lawful (fiercely loyal to the 5th, even to the point of enduring Lycus's torture to hide their secrets. Evil, because he's a vindictive, sadistic, little shit who has the most tedious mission in the whole game.
Aneska - another extremely loyal character. I think she's Lawful Neutral. I believe she's portrayed as being blindly loyal to Hades, doing whatever it take for Krausier, Krossier, whatever. Is that her dad? I don't remember.

My humble opinion.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 09:11:31 PM
Ayana - chaotic good rougue character. Will do anything (chaotic) to help her people (good).
Schneider - hmmm...maybe Lawful (fiercely loyal to the 5th, even to the point of enduring Lycus's torture to hide their secrets. Evil, because he's a vindictive, sadistic, little shit who has the most tedious mission in the whole game.
Aneska - another extremely loyal character. I think she's Lawful Neutral. I believe she's portrayed as being blindly loyal to Hades, doing whatever it take for Krausier, Krossier, whatever. Is that her dad? I don't remember.

My humble opinion.

This is good, I completely agree. I didn't bother to think about it myself, but you nailed it for me. you must have played D&D. :)

Shoggoth_Poot

• Eat it Raw!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 09:18:11 PM
Play D&D? What?!?!?! What kind of uber-nerd do you take me for? (Insight vs Bluff check. Roll em if you got em)

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 09:41:12 PM
Ok, how about the 3 protectors? I know it may be obvious, but let's be thorough here.