Author Topic: Doldren  (Read 23329 times)

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Re: Doldren
Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 06:47:05 PM
Beware the Harec that knows how to Stalk. Hah.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 12:29:23 AM
They seriously need to put a timer on how long he can use his ability as well as a limit to how frequently it can be used. Just having him visible when you can hide his body across a massive map is not much of a handicap.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 12:49:01 AM
They seriously need to put a timer on how long he can use his ability as well as a limit to how frequently it can be used. Just having him visible when you can hide his body across a massive map is not much of a handicap.

But you can SEE his dormant body through the wall all the way across the map, he's just as vulnerable, if not more, than the victim he is stalking. And he's an alien, he has 60 health. He is SO squishy, and unlike the other aliens, he's not a sniper at a safe distance. He has to be at least at medium range to be helpful.

Besides, they needed an anti-antag raider. I'm learning this guy in and out.

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:25 AM
All characters are anti-antagonist... It's just the perception that it's his primary role when really I think he was meant more to be a tricky Antagonist. The whole health thing is null and void if he never gets shot at... because he is a literal mile away. Iune cannot run away in any manner and she does just fine with her 60 health.

Righteous Flame

• View Profile
Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 03:47:34 AM
All I can say is this:  Doldren has convinced me to stop playing Antagonist.

Long story short, I played against Doldren a number of times as Antagonist, all of them shut-outs as an Antagonist.  So, Sunday when I saw yet another Doldren being selected as raider, I got out before the match started and just threw up my hands for the night.

Tonight, when I logged in, I'm being penalized for that.  I don't mind the penalty of not being able to log in for a while.  Steps have to be taken to keep people from disconnecting.  That's fair enough.

But....

If my only choices are to get penalized for leaving before a match starts against a Doldren Raider party or suffer through another completely lopsided match, I choose not to play Antagonist at all.  I'll still play it as a raider and single-player because I do like the game but I'm done with Antagonist.  It's one thing to get my ass handed to me against a team that has their act together.  It's another thing when it's done at the hands of a raider toon that is so OP that being defeated ceases to be fun and becomes an exercise in masochism.

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 04:51:22 AM
There's counters to him for sure. Right now one of the most agreed with seemed to be using Konstantine and he's a fairly easy to use character to begin with. In other words, give him a shot as I have won against teams using Doldren and he is only ever becoming more and more predictable.

Righteous Flame

• View Profile
Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:37 AM
I did use Konstantin as one of the counters.  That was actually one of the worse shutouts as the guy playing Doldren would materialize behind me out of repulsion field range and one-shot me with his gun.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 10:37:40 AM
I played 5 antagonist games tonight all with doldren in the party. He got a ton of kills on me, but I only "lost" (made enough kills to keep my stigmas) 1 out of those 5.

His spirit cannot traverse terrain hardly at all, anything you have to climb up to he won't be able to appear on. Also if you see his aleph then you know he's seeking you, keep your eyes on it and once it goes poof, he's behind you! 9/10 times. I fought drow (the one game I lost) and stopped his Doldren assault a few times by anticipating his teleport.

BloodNekoKiux

• View Profile
Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 02:03:01 PM
I have been using Harec as an antagonist against Doldren and it has been working out for me, Harec can shoot from angles that Doldern can reach and punish him for going astral. I need to do more testing, but I also think Lycus could be a good choose as well with his pepper pot weapon and the merciless faction card. As of right now I do not think that Doldren is OP, but I do know that he is a game changer and has changed the meta of the game. I’m working on a guide on Doldren currently showing some strengths and weakness that players are not aware of; or, taking advantaged of.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 05:43:50 PM
This could all change once Doldren players decide to use their guns.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:24 PM
Most Doldren players play him foolishly and go astral form in a spot that is too close. You have to take the time to run ALL THE WAY to the farthest point on the map. That way you are too far and removed for a sniper, even Harec, to reach unless he goes into enemy territory, and if they really want to seek you out and kill your body, fine, then your allies can focus on the objective while the antag is taking a jog to the edge of the map (depends on the map). Most of my mistakes as Doldren verses the antag is not being patient enough and waiting for my allies when I didn't have to. I tries to solo too much, and that's not great unless you are stalking a sniper antag, they only have 60 health and that two hits or one head shot. But other antags, like fricken Hanz, you have to be patient.

I remember that match and it was NERVE WRECKING! I wasn't all, "Yay! We won!" at the end, I was like, "S***, I need to log off." PvP isn't for everyone, even if you win. I don't even like Doldren, I just use him because I'm sick of antagonists. And on certain maps, and if you play conservative and VERY difficult and don't get too excited (like I did), you can at least win the match.

I really feel bad for alien snipers though, they REALLY can't do anything against him. I felt HORRIBLE after dominating a really high level Harec Antag, and it was just me the WHOLE match. I focused on hunting him and nothing else. But I also know the gut will destroy us on Short Fused and has before when I DIDN'T play Doldren. That being said, I felt like S*** after the match. But they force this on us, nothing else we can do.

TheBrentWoody

• View Profile
Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 07:57:05 PM
Depending on gun/map Doldren has few answers for Harec, imo.

You say run away, but on most maps stalk can provide line of sight to the entire map. On huge maps stalk should still save you from ambush. Several occasions I just jump when they teleport.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 08:25:36 PM
Depending on gun/map Doldren has few answers for Harec, imo.

You say run away, but on most maps stalk can provide line of sight to the entire map. On huge maps stalk should still save you from ambush. Several occasions I just jump when they teleport.

Yes, depending on the map, you are right. But certain maps, like Short Fused for instance, Harec really has to go out of the way to stalk Doldrens dormant body, because I ONLY leave my body ALL the way at the beginning. That puts Harec far out of the way of his operation as an atnag if he wants to get me. And when He does stalk and I find his little smoke shroud I just wait as a spirit right on it... and when he comes back I materialize punch him as soon as I see him. And that pretty much ends him. If he's smart he should bluff me.

To your credit, I really haven't tested Doldren on many other maps. I have to see how he does for others. I can already think of a few that Harec could get me always. :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:52:49 PM by Level9Drow »

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:00 PM
Yeah I shouldn't have gone with Hans on Short Fused, not sure what I was thinking since your team had no long range fighters, would have been a cake walk! I always rock with Shae there, and did later that night, and still had a Doldren to deal with.

I do not consider him OP at all, I actually think he's pretty weak so far and could use a buff of some kind. But he nature of being able to appear outside of a player's field of view is extremely valuable, even when I'm watching and waiting for Doldren I still mess up some times, or slide when I hear the sound and they go for a grab. But he's so squishy it's easy to kill him if his trick doesn't work.

Main thing to remember when fighting him.... he can't go up to high ground when ghosting.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:38 PM
Yeah I shouldn't have gone with Hans on Short Fused, not sure what I was thinking since your team had no long range fighters, would have been a cake walk! I always rock with Shae there, and did later that night, and still had a Doldren to deal with.

I do not consider him OP at all, I actually think he's pretty weak so far and could use a buff of some kind. But he nature of being able to appear outside of a player's field of view is extremely valuable, even when I'm watching and waiting for Doldren I still mess up some times, or slide when I hear the sound and they go for a grab. But he's so squishy it's easy to kill him if his trick doesn't work.

Main thing to remember when fighting him.... he can't go up to high ground when ghosting.

I don't think he's OP for Wardogs, Hades Devision or 5th Council, I think he's OP for the Aliens faction. You have to be extremely clever with them just to break even in a match against him (unless the Doldren player is not using him right, and I've seen this "run and gun" Doldren not being stealthy at all). He has huge advantages over them. Especially with certain cards. 

Although that could all change with Harec's new rifle. I think it's more of an assault weapon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:57:51 PM by Level9Drow »