Author Topic: community split between grinding?  (Read 6039 times)

gearedbeast

• View Profile
community split between grinding?
on: December 18, 2017, 06:16:57 PM
Is it me or is the community split on the grind in this game? A topic may start of with hate for it but ends up with people defending it. I think we really should agree unanimously on something like this.
Personally i HATE grinding. I think it's an artificial way of keeping a game alive so I usually avoid it in games and games that revolve around it, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. 

I didn't know Raiders of the Broken Planet would revolve grinding and now I'm getting an eye full of the experience I try to avoid so much. My question is did Mercursteam do it justice and we haters are just crybabies that should play a different game or is it actually poorly implemented. A shitty way of keeping us coming back for that one game or character we so want to play.

Things that I consider shitty grinding and why I'm not having fun: team pool, long waits (which is a topic all on its own), high prices, not totally fun difficulty ( bullet sponge enemies/ weak weapons/ crazy waves) not every level but they're there, and really bad drop rates ( some people luckier than others apparently)   

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Re: community split between grinding?
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 07:57:00 AM
You should expect 'some' grinding in near all games that include any kind of setup that involves builds or rpg elements. However, it is poorly implemented in Raiders in a way that's extremely hard to defend and I love the game. They really need to not split rewards at all as it's the last thing any co-op experience needs and it's what is going to keep you praying no one else wants Gold... Except they do and it's going to get divided up nearly every match you play because it's still poorly balanced versus other resources. In fact, your best bet of hoarding gold is if a good blueprint comes and you pass on it for Gold. Nothing else, and I do mean nothing else comes even close to the worth of Gold to players and Gold Rushing is a very real thing I personally pointed out a long time ago.

Operator

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 05:29:23 AM
I'd have to agree with Quanrian about the splitting rewards at the end of a match. The way we have to divvy up the prizes turns your allies into your worst enemies. At the end of any mission you may be left with frustration when everyone jumps in on your preferred loot, rather than rejoicing for another hard battle won.

By contrast, in Warframe (another third person action shooter involving large amounts of grinding), so long as everyone remembers to loot the goods on the battlefield, everyone gets the same yield from a mission. That keeps everything in the cooperative spirit and makes you feel like you're progressing ever closer to your goal.

It sucks to constantly leave this great game on a sour note when all you got for your time was a couple hundred currency.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:26:11 PM
I'd have to agree with Quanrian about the splitting rewards at the end of a match. The way we have to divvy up the prizes turns your allies into your worst enemies. At the end of any mission you may be left with frustration when everyone jumps in on your preferred loot, rather than rejoicing for another hard battle won.

By contrast, in Warframe (another third person action shooter involving large amounts of grinding), so long as everyone remembers to loot the goods on the battlefield, everyone gets the same yield from a mission. That keeps everything in the cooperative spirit and makes you feel like you're progressing ever closer to your goal.

It sucks to constantly leave this great game on a sour note when all you got for your time was a couple hundred currency.
I realized this recently after playing a couple matches. I played several matches in the last week and surprisingly had fun even when lost I was about to say "we fought hard, and even though I'm a bit sour I  had a good time," but that's til the rewards come up and I pray that I get lucky and  no one goes after gold. I can usually rely on one: noobs not knowing what to do on that screen to either not pick anything or anything not gold and two: vets who have Lune and thus focus on getting character and faction points, and that's a horrible way to view the reward screen and your teammates.

tribas

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:05:56 PM
I don't think the community is split ... most of the people that see how much of a cash grab this is and the time it would take to buy something with ingame gold/money won't even bother  to come to the forums , they just leave ... that's why the community is dying so fast .
On the other hand the people that defend the game will defend it even after the game closes down it happens on most communities after the game dies.

The people that actually bother to come to the forums is such a small number , you can get a better idea of what people think of the game and grind by the numbers they are pulling ... they are declining very fast.
Personally i think the game could be great but it has alot of issues and they are going in very hard trying to force people to buy currency with $ or grind your eyes out to get a character.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:10:10 PM by tribas »

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:43:48 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Players just need alternatives to the current missions. Something like bonus missions such as the VR Missions in Metal Gear or a Training Room to try out all the characters for free. Without these things people are going to be forced into one of two routes which are playing campaign solo or in matchmaking... In reality that is one choice two different ways. So we are forced to talk about 'one' thing a lot and it's kind of tiring. I want to talk about how dissatisfied I am with an actual different mode.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 03:44:50 PM
I'd like to see something like character specific episodes. I know that's asking for a loot and I doubt expect it anytime soon but just an idea to throw out there.
One mission I'm thinking is with Lycus in is Persian gear (I think that's what it's called) going through that war gear fought in. It'd be great for lore enthusiast and it could be just one mission.  Another mission could be Ginebra fighting Konstantine as a boss fight.  Maybe that dead guy in the beginning of the comic too to fill time.
Sorry for no ideas relevant to now but character specific missions sounded awesome and this seemed like a descent place to put it. 

Power Penguin

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:48:15 AM
I'd like to see something like character specific episodes. I know that's asking for a loot and I doubt expect it anytime soon but just an idea to throw out there.
One mission I'm thinking is with Lycus in is Persian gear (I think that's what it's called) going through that war gear fought in. It'd be great for lore enthusiast and it could be just one mission.  Another mission could be Ginebra fighting Konstantine as a boss fight.  Maybe that dead guy in the beginning of the comic too to fill time.
Sorry for no ideas relevant to now but character specific missions sounded awesome and this seemed like a descent place to put it.

I think this would be a great idea after all the campaigns launch and would really help with character building in the game.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:03 AM

I think this would be a great idea after all the campaigns launch and would really help with character building in the game.
After all campaigns sounds like a great time to do them if they don't have anything else plan.  I noticed somewhere on the mission page (haven't played in a while)  it says season 1.
If the got plans to do more after all 4 campaigns we might have to wait even longer

Quanrian

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:36:26 AM
Well, I had a similar thought but I was looking at it sort of like how GoW: Judgement did it. In that way, they would recall a memory and that way there might be diversity on replays through choices or just plain randomness in how they remember things. Again, not much different from the above suggestion just in that it doesn't have to be completely accurate and instead feed more into how that character thinks and might perceive things since they are quite colorful individuals.