Author Topic: do you like rock,paper,scissors?  (Read 2441 times)

gearedbeast

• View Profile
do you like rock,paper,scissors?
on: October 23, 2017, 06:22:26 PM
I don't think anything's been said about melee combat in a while, probably cause it's been resolved, but I want to talk a little more on it.
I think the melee system works as intended, but is that a good thing? Is it fun? Personally, I don't find it thrilling playing a guessing game in the middle of a fire fight, especially as the antagonist. Making assumptions or educated guessing is a tad stressful when you don't have time to think about it. There's no "count" like in rock,paper,scissors giving you time to think. You either have to know your opponent or hope they can't make good guesses themselves, less someone just button smash, which actually make the cqc a bit clunky and not very fluid. 
what do ya'll think? Do you kind of agree or do think it's broken? You think there shouldn't be a melee system at all, maybe? Or could it be a bit more complex like a fighting game?
would reall like some opinions on this.     

Vladpw123

• View Profile
Re: do you like rock,paper,scissors?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:42 PM
I think this system is good. Not perfect but good. It is simple enough to understand and memorise it. Also this simplicity dont distract player from shhoting. But not to simple to become boring.
Also it is highly rearding for people who learn from their eneimy. A lot of times when i fight with someone i start to analise what player will do in different situations. How fast he react. If i spam melee combo how fast he unedrstand that he needs to evade? SO i can memeorise that this player for example usually evades after 2nd punch so i can grapple him.
Put here some aditional stuf like Likus shotgun that he can use in melee.
So one of teh best point of this that this system is fluid. Shooting font ditract you from melee and melee dont distract you from shooting.

SygBoss

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:54 PM
I do like it. Not only is it visually very satisfying (love the character specific finishers), but I like the mindgame that happens in a long match, where youre learning the tendencies of your opponents, when/if they dodge, adjusting your own play to how they react.

It can be frustratingly buggy at times though. Sometimes i'll correctly predict a dodge, but somehow they recover quickly enough to strike me out of my grapple. Like.. what? They just circumvented the rules of the mini-game. It makes me want to throw my controller lol.

Also sometimes my strike MISSES their grapple.. and then they grapple me and I die.. like I correctly predict the grapple and i'm punished for it. Probably just lag though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:04:09 PM by SygBoss »

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:56:02 PM
I think this system is good. Not perfect but good. It is simple enough to understand and memorise it. Also this simplicity dont distract player from shhoting. But not to simple to become boring.
Also it is highly rearding for people who learn from their eneimy. A lot of times when i fight with someone i start to analise what player will do in different situations. How fast he react. If i spam melee combo how fast he unedrstand that he needs to evade? SO i can memeorise that this player for example usually evades after 2nd punch so i can grapple him.
Put here some aditional stuf like Likus shotgun that he can use in melee.
So one of teh best point of this that this system is fluid. Shooting font ditract you from melee and melee dont distract you from shooting.
I see your point and glad you commented, but what if it is an experienced player who has the same mindset. Anyone who play's this enough is going to see that pattern. I once caught an antagonist in there one-two-grapple after they got me a couple times.
I definitely don't think system is a bad, but I don't think it's for me. good thing I main Shae; i'm suppose to stay out of cqc fights anyway.

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:57:44 PM
I do like it. Not only is it visually very satisfying (love the character specific finishers), but I like the mindgame that happens in a long match, where youre learning the tendencies of your opponents, when/if they dodge, adjusting your own play to how they react.

It can be frustratingly buggy at times though. Sometimes i'll correctly predict a dodge, but somehow they recover quickly enough to strike me out of my grapple. Like.. what? They just circumvented the rules of the mini-game. It makes me want to throw my controller lol.

Also sometimes my strike MISSES their grapple.. and then they grapple me and I die.. like I correctly predict the grapple and i'm punished for it. Probably just lag though.
totally agree with the character specific executions. main reason why i melee outside of needing ammo of course