Author Topic: PS4/PC cross-platform friends  (Read 10494 times)

sazkeu

• View Profile
PS4/PC cross-platform friends
on: September 18, 2017, 03:06:10 AM
Hello!
I have a question.
Will it be possible to group with/send invitation from PC to friends with PS4?
It will be very cross-platform:)
Or, maybe if i have pc and ps4  - pay 9.99 and get maps pack for pc and ps4 for one price and have progress sync between different systems. Cause it's too much to play twice.
Please answer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:08:29 AM by sazkeu »

Masquerade

• View Profile
Re: PS4/PC cross-platform friends
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:12:18 AM
Bump.

I'd like to know this, as well.

I play on both PC and PS4, and I'm wondering if I'd really have to buy all skins, season passes, and so on twice over. Feels like it would be more convenient if I could use my PC account on the PS4, or vice versa for convenience. It would only be fair, as I'd otherwise have to spend an excess of $120 dollars on the game.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:13:56 AM by Masquerade »

Masquerade

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:51:23 PM
Maybe a third-party account would be the best option, like with Paragon?
That way you can add other players to your friends list regardless of region, and it would allow you to use your various items across all platforms.

Frigid Wizard

• "Oh, hey, we have a wizard on our team!"
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:50:41 PM
It's not in Mercury Steam's hands, guys. Sony constantly refuses to make the PS4 cross platform with anything that they don't produce.

Masquerade

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:06 PM
That's a lie - they have cross platform on Paragon, FFXIV, and many other games. It can be done, but Mercury Steam probably don't want to make it work.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:28 PM
Whether it can be done in a technical sense is irrelevant if Sony does not allow it. You're going way out on a limb assuming Mercury Steam is fully to blame here. Do you honestly think they did not have to get Microsoft's permission for it be cross platform between Xbox and PC?

Masquerade

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:06:09 AM
The same logic applies the other way around - the game is cross-platform on PS4, so obviously it works. I've played with many PC users, but the issue is the lack of a third party account that you can use on both platforms.

If you think that Sony hates crossplatform, then you should probably check the list of crossplatform games available - there's a lot of them. As far as I know, none of them are Sony developed either.

Copperbadge

• I'm here for the co-op. (Avatar ©2017 Mafer)
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 02:05:23 AM
To support @Masquerade's argument a little further:

EPIC Games does have it's own account service and -is- making use of that in games as Paragon and Fortnite to let people cross-buy and play with friends independent of their platform (namely PC and PS4).
Meaning: I bought Fortnite and I can (and -do-) use that copy on both systems.
I also have friends on the EPIC platform that I was teaming up with on PS4 and PC with ease.

My point is:
It is possible and studios are doing it but it also is a service that takes a long term commitment and maintenance that many smaller studios can't and / or shouldn't spend their resources on.

MercurySteam may or may not have their reasons to not having set up such service and it's important to keep in mind that we're just speculating for as long as there's no official statement posted, targeting this topic. :)

Masquerade

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 03:16:50 AM
To support @Masquerade's argument a little further:

EPIC Games does have it's own account service and -is- making use of that in games as Paragon and Fortnite to let people cross-buy and play with friends independent of their platform (namely PC and PS4).
Meaning: I bought Fortnite and I can (and -do-) use that copy on both systems.
I also have friends on the EPIC platform that I was teaming up with on PS4 and PC with ease.

My point is:
It is possible and studios are doing it but it also is a service that takes a long term commitment and maintenance that many smaller studios can't and / or shouldn't spend their resources on.

MercurySteam may or may not have their reasons to not having set up such service and it's important to keep in mind that we're just speculating for as long as there's no official statement posted, targeting this topic. :)

Thank you for supporting my argument, and I can also see why it might be hard for them to do it. I just wish they'd mention these things BEFORE moving beyond a beta release. I'm not saying implement - just mention their stance on the topic.