Author Topic: how much differences do we make?  (Read 17955 times)

gearedbeast

• View Profile
how much differences do we make?
on: October 24, 2017, 06:30:18 PM
As a community, how much do we actually effect the game? Is it just call out on bugs and way of life fixes, or could we ask for more voice acting or animations or things like that? I ask these because I sometimes wonder if Raiders of the Broken Planet should have been in development longer with all dlc in game at release.
I know the biggest reason is for community feedback but wouldn't that have worked in a few (very few) betas? Like, shouldn't the 4v1 system been looked a little more? Ever people seem to agree it's not very balanced.
Also, wouldn't the longer wait have drummed up more of people's interest? Releasing more trailers and gameplay footage at varies events to catch more eyes?
I don't ask these questions out of spite. I'm loving most of the game, don't dislike the episodic style of releases and prefer smaller communities to watch for toxicity, but i'm currently not even playing the game with it being really small and the only adjective is to grind for blueprints and antagonist points, mostly for lore.
I'm just curious on the business mindset of this. Depending on the amount of effect the community has on the game, are we playing a "beta" and would it have been more optimal to wait for all dlc to make one game.
also, I know this first one is a full game.       

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Re: how much differences do we make?
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:19:28 PM
Actually, the reason to release a game in chunks is the same as any preview program or crowd funding. That reason being, they cannot afford to make an entire game at once so they are trying to scatter their costs. They even admitted they didn't know if they could accomplish it because it's a very big project for them. To put it differently, if they didn't do it in chunks (campaigns) there is a good chance we wouldn't have gotten the game at all or would have had to deal with publisher shenanigans. Personally, wouldn't mind at this point if they got backing to guarantee all campaigns were released.

I would never say any person's feedback is not valuable but obviously they have to look at the bigger picture too. This means collecting data and a whole lot of it to decide what to prioritize. Though, since there are still glitches and bugs on various platforms that will be a big part of their focus. What I see more often than not is very passionate feedback that may not actually provide any tactile information. So, less rage fueled and more factual is going to do them a whole lot more good.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of clarity but overall I would say just try and be concise and polite even when it's not easy!

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:36:43 AM
Actually, the reason to release a game in chunks is the same as any preview program or crowd funding. That reason being, they cannot afford to make an entire game at once so they are trying to scatter their costs. They even admitted they didn't know if they could accomplish it because it's a very big project for them. To put it differently, if they didn't do it in chunks (campaigns) there is a good chance we wouldn't have gotten the game at all or would have had to deal with publisher shenanigans. Personally, wouldn't mind at this point if they got backing to guarantee all campaigns were released.

I would never say any person's feedback is not valuable but obviously they have to look at the bigger picture too. This means collecting data and a whole lot of it to decide what to prioritize. Though, since there are still glitches and bugs on various platforms that will be a big part of their focus. What I see more often than not is very passionate feedback that may not actually provide any tactile information. So, less rage fueled and more factual is going to do them a whole lot more good.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of clarity but overall I would say just try and be concise and polite even when it's not easy!
Thanks for the feedback, but don't tell someone who's already being polite to do so. It's confusing and makes it out to be that you think they aren't

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:39:27 AM
Understood, that was the best I could come up. If you only found that bit offensive than I'll take that.