Author Topic: General information collection  (Read 20135 times)

gearedbeast

• View Profile
General information collection
on: October 11, 2017, 08:49:25 PM
Until we get a better tutorial or log explaining key parts of the game, I think there needs to be general information thread here.
I don't do this kind of thing really so sorry if it starts out poorly constructed but I'll start off with ranking and correct any misinformation
Something I did not know when starting this game was that ranking increase difficulty.  Granted you have to be in a team of people with rankings close to yours. I don't know if it effects rewards cause I haven't gotten into a good team but i Imagine it does.
Please add anything you may know,
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:59:27 PM by gearedbeast »

AllMostOliver

• View Profile
Re: General information collection
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:10:50 AM
Until we get a better tutorial or log explaining key parts of the game, I think there needs to be general information thread here.
I don't this kinda of thing really do sorry if starts out poorly constructed but I'll start off with ranking. And correct any flaws in misinformation
Something I did not know when starting this game was that ranking increase difficulty.  Granted you have to be in a team of people with rankings close to yours. I don't know if it effects rewards cause I haven't given into a good team but Imagine it does.

Sorry to tell ya this, (not really cause it's good news) but MerCurySteam just Published a Video for new players that did not Read the QuickGuide / Get a quick understanding of the game mechanic's https://youtu.be/kLo_U09523g

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:53:33 PM
I don't this kinda of thing really do sorry if starts out poorly constructed but I'll start off with ranking. And correct any flaws in misinformation
Something I did not know when starting this game was that ranking increase difficulty.  Granted you have to be in a team of people with rankings close to yours. I don't know if it effects rewards cause I haven't given into a good team but Imagine it does.

Sorry to tell ya this, (not really cause it's good news) but MerCurySteam just Published a Video for new players that did not Read the QuickGuide / Get a quick understanding of the game mechanic's https://youtu.be/kLo_U09523g
but that like the basics. this is for things that video don't touch, and probably should have made this thread for new players.
the video doesn't tell you you need a antagonist rank to make blue prints, or that your rank resets every week so you should grind for stigma's some point in your play through.
It doesn't say anything on how blue prints are gained as a team and everybody has to gamble for it, if you even get a blue print.
The video is a good introduction into the world and base game but definitively not your go to for in-depth stuff. 

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:34 PM
somethings to note, killing enemies with aleph ( no melee), will cuase them to explode.

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:33:58 PM
I'll see what I can contribute here...

1. Obective Play: Killing enemies is 'never' as important as completing or preventing the objective regardless of if you're the Antagonist or the Raider. People often forget this and believe that the more kills they get the better they are. There are various 'choke' points in all missions that should be paid special care to because they can easily be taken advantage of by a learned Antagonist.

2. So Many Weapons: Having different weapons are nice but people largely seem to misunderstand that they are 'different' or situational and not exactly better per say. You do not need to play as much Antagonist as people seem to believe to access building blueprints. Also, you can lose and wont lose 'any' Stigma 'until' you reach a threshold of 20. Lastly, as far as I can tell you 'keep' your highest rank achieved and 'that' is what the game uses to decide if you can unlock weapons but someone would need to confirm this.

3. Get Tactical Babae: Try playing the game less like a meat and potato shooter because it is not and you're going to get killed... a lot that way. You are overall and regardless of character fairly squishy and that time between getting shot and healing is when you really should avoid further combat unless you like that crawling animation. People often forget their 'abilities' are most useful when helping the team and/or progressing the objective. For example, is your team mate getting shot and you're playing as Lycus then throw that shield up and absorb those shots for them as this works wonders even on the Kuzmann boss fight.

4. Stick to it: Right now, the biggest complaint is matchmaking and that likely wont change as much as anyone would like. The best solution to this is simply form a persistent group of four people and you should be able to play 'any' stage you like straight away. Be forewarned, your group is only as good as your weakest link (protecting them mitigates this) especially since an Antagonist will quickly single that person out for rapid-fire kills. Regardless, you might want to always give some thought to protecting Harec, Shae and often Alicia as they tend to be prime targets for easy kills.

This is probably not the best but a lot of this was stuff I noticed a lot of people just did not seem to be picking up on...  :'(

can_gooroo

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:07 PM
Killing enemies is 'never' as important as completing or preventing the objective
I disagree with this statement though. Clearing grunts almost as important as contribute to objective. I've been in this situation couple times when team was blindly focused on the objective and was flooded by simple grunts.

The Wanderlust

• XBox - The Wanderlust
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:12 PM
Great idea, Gearedbeast, and thank you Quanrian. Really enjoying the game thus far but there are still the few ambiguities. I myself am searching for anything concrete on 'locking' Character/Faction cards and the Gold cost required (it just states that I don't have enough yet, w/ no listed amount).

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:53:06 PM
I'll see what I can contribute here...

1. Obective Play: Killing enemies is 'never' as important as completing or preventing the objective regardless of if you're the Antagonist or the Raider. People often forget this and believe that the more kills they get the better they are. There are various 'choke' points in all missions that should be paid special care to because they can easily be taken advantage of by a learned Antagonist.

2. So Many Weapons: Having different weapons are nice but people largely seem to misunderstand that they are 'different' or situational and not exactly better per say. You do not need to play as much Antagonist as people seem to believe to access building blueprints. Also, you can lose and wont lose 'any' Stigma 'until' you reach a threshold of 20. Lastly, as far as I can tell you 'keep' your highest rank achieved and 'that' is what the game uses to decide if you can unlock weapons but someone would need to confirm this.

3. Get Tactical Babae: Try playing the game less like a meat and potato shooter because it is not and you're going to get killed... a lot that way. You are overall and regardless of character fairly squishy and that time between getting shot and healing is when you really should avoid further combat unless you like that crawling animation. People often forget their 'abilities' are most useful when helping the team and/or progressing the objective. For example, is your team mate getting shot and you're playing as Lycus then throw that shield up and absorb those shots for them as this works wonders even on the Kuzmann boss fight.

4. Stick to it: Right now, the biggest complaint is matchmaking and that likely wont change as much as anyone would like. The best solution to this is simply form a persistent group of four people and you should be able to play 'any' stage you like straight away. Be forewarned, your group is only as good as your weakest link (protecting them mitigates this) especially since an Antagonist will quickly single that person out for rapid-fire kills. Regardless, you might want to always give some thought to protecting Harec, Shae and often Alicia as they tend to be prime targets for easy kills.

This is probably not the best but a lot of this was stuff I noticed a lot of people just did not seem to be picking up on...  :'(
this right here is excellent!

Quanrian

• Eat the game before it devours your life!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:48:57 PM
I'm going to break down the prologue mission's focus as an example. I might add others later but I'm helping Antagonists just as much as Raiders by providing this information.

Hanging By A Thread.

Part 1. Engineers should be your first priority because they 'stop' the clock on you and make your whole situation overall worse. Gunners shooting at Lycus should be your next biggest priority because 'eventually' they too will cause you to fail but this likely wont happen if you kill Engineers. Last, Antagonists can screw you over in various ways but honestly the best way is to distract you from paying attention to those first two.

Part 2. Very simple here, shoot down the ships as fast as possible, often by using both turrets at once. Don't over-commit yourself because it will get you killed but do about half damage on a ship if you can to get this section done quickly. Enemies spawn here in waves on both ends and should be cleared but this is less relevant the 'faster' you shoot those ships down. Again, the Antagonist's goal should and likely will be to keep you 'off' those turrets so be aware of that and them as much as possible.

Part 3. This is all about pushing that elevator button as quickly as possible and mitigating damage and aggro. The Antagonist 'is' your biggest problem here because if they get on that turret you're toast. Be aware also, the gunship's rockets have a delay on the explosion that does massive damage.

Part 4A. Pre-Alephed Reactors - Focus on killing the Specials that will 'almost' always try for a grapple. These are typically meant as your means of obtaining Aleph to overload those reactors but an Antagonist will work as well.

Part 4B.  Post Three Reactors Aleph Activated - Your main focus should shift heavily over to Engineers but it doesn't hurt to have an Aleph reserve if one or more gets shut down. By all means protect yourself but always remember keeping that bar filling up has nothing to do with how many enemies you kill 'unless' they are an Engineer that would stop that bar or a Special that will get it going if it has stopped. Lastly, an Antagonist can be a real problem here as usual so always be aware of where they are.

Part 4C. Escape after Overload! - Really simple just get the heck out of there. Avoidance is key here because typically fighting is just going to slow you down or get you killed. If you're playing a slower character this part can really suck for you unless someone has stayed to cover your ascent.

I'm sure I left plenty out... some of it on purpose but the principle of focusing to proceed is going to be valid throughout all missions. Still, have common sense and watch your back and your teammates as well. There are likely to be extensive guides per mission in the future.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:53:01 PM by Quanrian »

MSE_Hellath

• PR Manager
  • MercurySteam
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:31:21 PM
Hey guys!

This is a magnificent thread. Thanks Quarian for your spot-on evaluation of the game.
Gearedbeast, we agree with you on clarifying some of the not so obvious mechanics included in the game. The above mentioned video is just the first effort on that direction -we plan to start producing more content to clarify further the reward system, the Raiders and Antagonists ranks, etc. It will take some time to cover everything, as there's only so much a small team like us can do in a short amount of time, but we are on it.

Thanks!