Author Topic: Newest record for antagonist level difference  (Read 3404 times)

reaperofsorrows7

• View Profile
Newest record for antagonist level difference
on: September 28, 2018, 09:50:20 PM
Just had a game where the antagonist was level 473 and my team had a level  7 and 9. Hell at level 107 my rock and roll did 30 damage while the antagonist one shotted me.

Any better ones?

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Re: Newest record for antagonist level difference
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:35:00 PM
I can only think of one person who would have a more extreme example, but he would be the antagonists. TheBrentWoody would probably have a story or two to tell, he's the highest level player I think.

reaperofsorrows7

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:49:36 PM
Difference being. Would he go try hard against new players? About level 1-20 range.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:57:16 PM
Difference being. Would he go try hard against new players? About level 1-20 range.

Some players prefer opponents that have no way to fight back. It's more fun for them to completely dominate than it is for the other side to have a fighting chance. This is also why Spacelords has a huge player retention problem right now.

Level9Drow

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:58:24 PM
I actually don't know. I don't want to speak FOR him, but he's always seemed like a good sportsman, despite being devastatingly dangerous with Herec. I am level 300+ and I don't ever want to go up against him, LOL.

reaperofsorrows7

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 11:10:46 PM

Some players prefer opponents that have no way to fight back. It's more fun for them to completely dominate than it is for the other side to have a fighting chance. This is also why Spacelords has a huge player retention problem right now.
True. Thats why the route of a peaceful antagonist is what i will do. Normally wouldnt consider being an antagonist, but some of those cards are so enticing.

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 12:59:27 AM
I still completely disagree that "tryhard" antags are what prevents players from coming back. I have posted a video of me doing a friendly antag on Low Blow as Valeria...... and BOTH level 1 players disconnected despite me being friendly to them and the level 9 killing me every time they saw me. Once did in the middle of the mission, the other did after extracting but the THREE MINUTE TIMER having to count all the way down due to that previous disconnect, so the other newbie DC'd thanks to impatience.

People will disconnect and leave, antag or not.

reaperofsorrows7

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 02:00:23 AM
Oh, no. I didnt mean to come off that way at all. Its just a level 500 trying desperately to kill levels 1's and 5's is just insane to come across. There is much more than just antagonist that causes people to leave, but it is a contributor nonetheless. And having it forced doesn't help the issue, but i accept the situation as is.

Hiero_Glyph

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 02:03:39 AM
I still completely disagree that "tryhard" antags are what prevents players from coming back. I have posted a video of me doing a friendly antag on Low Blow as Valeria...... and BOTH level 1 players disconnected despite me being friendly to them and the level 9 killing me every time they saw me. Once did in the middle of the mission, the other did after extracting but the THREE MINUTE TIMER having to count all the way down due to that previous disconnect, so the other newbie DC'd thanks to impatience.

People will disconnect and leave, antag or not.

While true, the chance seems to be much higher with an antag. At the very least an antag should never be allowed in a mentor match. This would likely also make it preferred for many players since they would also guarantee that no antag would be in the game. This is a great example of a win-win scenario for the community.

Overall the early game of Spacelords is a huge mess. The Harec tutorial is gone (no idea why), antags are common in mentor matches, the MMR loves to put low level players with high levels ones making their experience difficult at best, and the game encourages wasting gold instead of offering free forge upgrades at first. It really is a mess that requires understanding how deep the combat is for players to stick around.

MSE_Karen

• Community Manager with thick Spanish accent
  • MercurySteam
  • Cat whisperer
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 12:13:02 PM
Hello, guys!

As you know, we recently launched a patch that included some improvements for the matchmaking system. These changes are based on your feedback and the situations you experience at the game. Rest assured well'll keep balancing the system in order to improve the game.

Thank you very much!