Author Topic: questionable decision making skills  (Read 3641 times)

gearedbeast

• View Profile
questionable decision making skills
on: April 12, 2018, 04:58:06 PM
Right off the bat, i'd like to make an assumption that Mercurysteam is prideful of their game. They have a set idea for what they want the game to be, and in a way I respect that. I understand that artist sometimes have to stick to their guns, not let outsiders control their ideas, and do what they want with their work because it's theirs. I respect that, but if that is indeed true for Mercurcysteam, and I'm not saying it is, then letting the player base help develop the game was probably the first questionable decision they've made.

The reason I assume MS could be too proud of their game is because despite community backlash and suggestions the resent update didn't really fix the big issues. Two big changes are a new progression system were we level up and rewarded after hitting a threshold with characters, gold, and forging (a brand new system focused on enhancing weapon capabilities), and now Antagonist get the same rewards as Raiders with both Raiders and Antagonist acting as balance for the new  Aequilibrium system that effects the amount  of experience points gained. All of this comes with problems and begs the question "why they do this".

For starters one of the reasons for the new progression system is obviously made so that players would always get something of their on at the end of a mission if not a good sum of gold/faction points or a blueprint. Instead of XP, why didn't they just give us our on separate gold or faction points? In the end that's what it comes down to. XP keeps us from actions not actually unlocking anything. Once you reach the level to unlock a character/ faction card you still need to spend faction points to completely unlock them. that goes for rerolls too. Instead of unlocking character you unlock the ability to purchase a character. It's obvious the XP to keep the grind alive because that's supposedly what's going to keep the game alive, but feel the time working in the progression system could've been time spend improving the rewards.

Speaking of rewards, if we're keeping the forge system and team pool, we need to increase drop rate for weapon blueprints much much higher. because there's multiple of each stage, there should be a weapon blueprint drop every match and the actual weapons should be random. The treasure hunt perk for weapons shouldn't have been a thing, or rather it should be fixed so that it increases the chance of that specific Raider's weapon to drop. Also, why they locked behind  raider and antag affinity?

I don't think the devs trust the player base. I am certain that they don't think enough players are going to play antagonist. This is the reason why, I believe, we're being forced to play antagonist. It's not as horrible as before the update and they almost fixed it but it's still bad that it's a thing, but is their fear justified? They want this to be a PvP 4v1 game first and foremost with the ability to play PvE being a counterpart as a "smart" business decision, but the player base has way more people wanting to play just co-op. Instead of locking content being PvP they should've made Antagonist more appealing by simply giving literally the exact same rewards as Raiders (9000+ faction points anyone) but with the pleasure of not having to share! Even the most opposing of antagonist wouldn't be able to resist such a deal!

These are just my thoughts and ideas to improve the game. I'd love to read what fellow Raiders and even developers, if it's ok, opinions on these are. I apologize for the filler! I had a set idea to write this in but it changed and I also got tired of writing and somethings may be off and left unsaid. If you made it all the way down here, I am very grateful you took the time to read this, thank you!!!

Elyleo2

• View Profile
Re: questionable decision making skills
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:26:30 PM
I will summarise in differents points to see whether I can understand your post.

First, you say the changes made aren't sufficient and you explain the reasons why MercurySteam makes these decisions. You say that share of the loot should be individual. And your stand opposes the lock of the Raiders by XP.

I consider that the new progression system help starter players have reasons to return to play and eventually, the player base will grow, for everyone's benefit. The boosts XP are a way of recognising of the veterans players. If you have already unlocked some Raiders, you will have these Raiders accesible. I don't see any problem with this issue.

With individual rewards, it's logical that the chance of blueprints should decrease.

Second, Why is it wrong to encourage to play as an Antagonist? It's true that the Aequilibrium isn't a robust solution but your solution: Increasing the rewards isn't a definitive solution either. Playing as an Antagonist should be fun in itself.

If this is a beginning of the new changes in the future, I think that we should give a vote of confidence to MercurySteam. All together we will try to get a gaming experience that is very enjoyable and successful.

PS: With respect to the lock by XP, getting all the Raiders has only taken two weeks with this changes. In the previous way, it had probably been a month or more.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:39:28 PM by Elyleo2 »

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:00:37 PM
I will summarise in differents points to see whether I can understand your post.

First, you say the changes made aren't sufficient and you explain the reasons why MercurySteam makes these decisions. You say that share of the loot should be individual. And your stand opposes the lock of the Raiders by XP.

I consider that the new progression system help starter players have reasons to return to play and eventually, the player base will grow, for everyone's benefit. The boosts XP are a way of recognising of the veterans players. If you have already unlocked some Raiders, you will have these Raiders accesible. I don't see any problem with this issue.

With individual rewards, it's logical that the chance of blueprints should decrease.

Second, Why is it wrong to encourage to play as an Antagonist? It's true that the Aequilibrium isn't a robust solution but your solution: Increasing the rewards isn't a definitive solution either. Playing as an Antagonist should be fun in itself.

If this is a beginning of the new changes in the future, I think that we should give a vote of confidence to MercurySteam. All together we will try to get a gaming experience that is very enjoyable and successful.

PS: With respect to the lock by XP, getting all the Raiders has only taken two weeks with this changes. In the previous way, it had probably been a month or more.

We'd still use the regular loot pool system but I made a point to not use XP because I didn't think the thresholds weren't that rewarding but after reading your reasoning I understand better the point of XP and think it will work long term but still stand by my blueprints argument and still find it kinda awkward that XP unlocks the ability to purchase rather than simply unlock. For example: instead of unlocking the ability to purchase character/faction cards I think the first one should be on the house.  though that might be nick picking.

I don't think it's wrong to encourage players to play Antagonist, I just don't think the way that's being handle is a good one. I think my solution does work because 1 up against 4 ,might be, capable people. that's way harder than wave of scripted AI.

"... Playing as an Antagonist should be fun in itself." agreed except the game mode whole fun aspect is the challenge of going against others player in a up hill battle which not everyone finds fun. If Mercury insist on pushing Antagonist on players I think this is way better than strictly locking content behind the game mode.

"... Playing as an Antagonist should be fun in itself." agreed except the game mode whole fun aspect is the challenge of going against others player in a up hill battle which not everyone finds fun.

Also, I have faith that Mercury will get this to be a top tier game worthy of praise and acknowledgment in the future or i wouldn't be playing it.

P.S. thank you for the response! ;D 

LordDraco3

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:31:48 PM
Sounds like valid concerns to me.

Honestly I have always been vocal that I love playing antagonist. But I hardly do, because when my friends are on I would much rather be in a 4-man group all night. Reason being-- instant games, no waiting.

It currently takes me 10-15 minutes to get an antagonist game, then the match itself is 15-20, even 30 minutes long. And then at the end I can get anywhere from 1000 gold (if I lose) to.... like 3-4000 if I win, with a similar amount of faction points, and blueprint drops are a joke. So it can take the better part of an hour for some crappy rewards.

And there are some VERY VERY VERY vocal complainers saying that I should have even less people that I can play against, because I am too good at the game to be matched against low levels or new players. So they want to reduce the possible pool of games I can antagonist in to be even lower.

I love the mode, but the vocal complainers are actively fighting to make it unsustainable to play more than a game or two every few days. I currently only do it when I absolutely need to switch my affinity. Give me a choice of 10k faction points, 10k gold, and guaranteed blueprints on a win, or 5k on a loss, and I will have no problem waiting 20 minutes for a 20 minute match. Until then, I'd rather be in a full team raider that plays as often as possible.

This is why the aequilibrium is so unbalanced, even after the patch that skewed it very heavily towards antagonist.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:43:54 PM by LordDraco3 »

gearedbeast

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:18:35 PM
Recently found out a LOT of blueprints are attached to antagonist. This adds to more problems because when if you get a blueprint to drop it might not be the one you were after. 

Unless your character can determine the gun drop this mode will be a huge waste of time in terms of farming.